The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-08-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yes, it was determined previously that we hear things differently (especially regarding phase issues and over driven distortions). LANDR mastering software absolutely fried your synch clip.

On this section of the forum it would be nice if you would limit your clips to actual recordings.
Well that is a recording....a midi recording. I was asked to post stuff I've been working on, and that's it. It's not my fault if you're not into midi recordings. I think it opens up a whole new world of embellishing acoustic guitar recordings with classical instruments. If you can't see the benefits of that, I can't help you.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-08-2016, 06:22 PM

It would be nice if you'd limit the discussions to the original topic of the thread, the Auralex MoPads.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Just a thought Martin but those Yamaha speakers are rear ported I believe. It won't do any good for their sound by having them stuck on a small shelf like that. I would worry more about the bass response just because of this fact, rather than worrying about some type of foam to sit them on.

I bet you could make some space if you wanted to - I can see a cassette deck in one of your photos - you still use that?
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
It would be nice if you'd limit the discussions to the original topic of the thread, the Auralex MoPads.

In all fairness all your room acoustics and room situation are directly related to, and will directly effect how well any attempt at speaker isolation is going to work. And you are the one who linked your sound examples.

And as for isolation the Mopads while they will provide some limited isolation, in that that they do provide if nothing else, a cushioned layer between the bottom of the speaker and the hard surface of the the stand or shelf. Which can't hurt. But they are considered by most professional acousticians to be of limited value towards actual isolation or decoupling.

And just so you know, foam products like Auralex work fine for what they actually do. Which is help absorb and diffuse high frequencies. So it should be understood by you and anybody using or considering them, you are basically addressing 1/3 of your acoustical situation.

And certainly the Mopads improve the look form what you had, and the ability to be a more uniform platform than the foam you had and not have your monitors leaning (as in the photo) and also for angling the speakers to point more directly towards your ears at your listening position , yes they are certainly are fine for that. I was simply pointing out for your knowledge and for the benefit of any reading this thread..... that they are not as good at actual isolation as other products, which are both more and less expensive.

Plus you might consider this, it is not like you can't keep the Mopads for the above reasons and simply now make a solid square (plywood, hardwood shelving or melamine ) to fit the bottom of the Mopads and then get the sorbothane product (I linked) to go between your current mounting shelf and the bottom of the square , which will improve decoupling even more.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-09-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Well regarding the rear ports, now that the monitors are angled down a bit, the ports seem to work better than when the monitors were sitting flat. Like I said I can feel the bass thumping my chest. Plus the tweeters are more inline with my ears so I can hear the highs better too. All in all they are a great improvement. They are NOT going back. I'm loving them.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Regarding the cassette deck... I have many of my original songs from years ago recorded onto cassettes. I suppose I should transfer them onto cd, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also have old tapes from other artists on cassettes too. So occasionally I do still use it. I also have a DA-88, a mini-disk recorder and a DAT machine sitting here too.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Regarding the cassette deck... I have many of my original songs from years ago recorded onto cassettes. I suppose I should transfer them onto cd, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I also have old tapes from other artists on cassettes too. So occasionally I do still use it. I also have a DA-88, a mini-disk recorder and a DAT machine sitting here too.
No wonder there's no room for a pair of broadband absorber panels!

I was surprised that you took offense at the reaction to posting midi stuff. After all, this is the ACOUSTIC guitar forum. Gearsluz welcome this stuff with open arms.

I've never seen anyone refer to midi generated stuff as "recording", it's certainly most generally referred to as programming. I know it is often "converted" to audio in the final steps of the recording process, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it "recording" IMHO.

I'd also offer the suggestion that you start your topics with "REVIEW:"; that way all the folks who think there might be something of interest to read could just avoid it if they choose to.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:24 PM

The question was what was I doing that was new...the midi recording is one that I'm working on. That was what's new. Even though this is an Acoustic Guitar forum, I still dabble with classical sound samples..Why ?? Did you ever hear of a song called "Classical Gas ??" They incorporated classical instruments with acoustic guitar and it came out great !! So why should I limit myself to only acoustic guitar ?? That would be foolish.

And as far as midi recording goes, yes sometimes you have to record an actual performance on a keyboard then apply that recording to sound samples. If you don't think that's recording, you're nuts.

if you don't like my threads, I suggest you don't bother reading them, your nasty attitude won't be missed.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

http://www.midiworld.com/forum/

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-09-2016, 03:00 PM

http://www.auralex.com/product/mopad-mopad-xl/
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I was surprised that you took offense at the reaction to posting midi stuff. After all, this is the ACOUSTIC guitar forum. Gearsluz welcome this stuff with open arms.

I've never seen anyone refer to midi generated stuff as "recording", it's certainly most generally referred to as programming. I know it is often "converted" to audio in the final steps of the recording process, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it "recording" IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sorry guys gotta side with Martin Maniac here .

First: Now while I would agree that the LANDAR app. applied to that midi piece was arguably distorted and simply made it louder and not better .
Non the less he was asked for an example of what he was currently doing.

Second: and more importantly I know Pro tools refers Midi "Recording"
As I'm guessing most other DAW manuals do also . To suggest that "midi generated" is not recording and not commonly referred to as "midi recording" are highly subjective personal statements and do not reflect the vocabulary at large in the music industry. If you simply google "midi recording " you find pages and pages of links where the term "midi recording " consistently used over and over.

From PT 12 manual
Chapter 22. MIDI Recording . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 447
Recording from MIDI Devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 447
Enabling Input Devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 448
MIDI Thru . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 449
MIDI Input Filter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
Input Quantize . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
Wait for Note . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
MIDI Merge/Replace . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 451
Configuring MIDI or Instrument Tracks for Recording . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 452
Recording MIDI and Instrument Tracks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 453

Also pulling out the name Acoustic Guitar Forum is specious. The sub forum is in fact not called Audio Only Recording

And with that line of thinking wouldn't one also have to say that the Electric, Acoustic Amplification and Other String Instruments sub-forums all should be banned ? After all they are not strictly speaking, ACOUSTIC guitar either

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-09-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:08 PM

I'll tell ya why I got involved with midi recording. I started out with a Martin D-18. After years of playing it, I was getting bored with it, and found myself listening to many artists who were using synths, drums, keyboards, and orchestral sounds in their music. Example...Michael Jackson, you don't hear him sitting around playing an acoustic guitar. There's a whole new world of sounds available out there to work with. The acoustic guitar is nice but you can only do so much with it. So I branched out into midi recording and working with synths and sound samples. Just that simple.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 05:28 PM

In that piece I had posted, I believe there was 16 different tracks involved, each one had a different instrument that was selected by me. Then just like any other recording, it had to be mixed so it sounded like an orchestra. Then I ran it thru the AAMS mastering service and it sounded horrible. Then I ran it thru LANDR and it sounded great. So yes you will get different results from each of the two programs. What's this got to do with the Auralex MoPads ?? The final mix sounds fabulous here. Everything sounds richer, fuller, I'm very pleased with the end results.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-09-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sorry guys gotta side with Martin Maniac here .

First: Now while I would agree that the LANDAR app. applied to that midi piece was arguably distorted and simply made it louder and not better .
Non the less he was asked for an example of what he was currently doing.

Second: and more importantly I know Pro tools refers Midi "Recording"
As I'm guessing most other DAW manuals do also . To suggest that "midi generated" is not recording and not commonly referred to as "midi recording" are highly subjective personal statements and do not reflect the vocabulary at large in the music industry. If you simply google "midi recording " you find pages and pages of links where the term "midi recording " consistently used over and over.

From PT 12 manual
Chapter 22. MIDI Recording . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 447
Recording from MIDI Devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 447
Enabling Input Devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 448
MIDI Thru . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 449
MIDI Input Filter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
Input Quantize . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
Wait for Note . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
MIDI Merge/Replace . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 451
Configuring MIDI or Instrument Tracks for Recording . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 452
Recording MIDI and Instrument Tracks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 453

Also pulling out the name Acoustic Guitar Forum is specious. The sub forum is in fact not called Audio Only Recording

And with that line of thinking wouldn't one also have to say that the Electric, Acoustic Amplification and Other String Instruments sub-forums all should be banned ? After all they are not strictly speaking, ACOUSTIC guitar either
I'll go with that. I have fairly strong personal ideas of what constitutes acoustic music and I shouldn't interject those opinions here.

This forum gets precious little use, and my guess is the majority of readers are most interested in acoustic guitar recording. I'd personally go somewhere else if I wanted to hear noodling with midi commands and programming.

I just have to learn to stay away form topics that are obviously "Reviews" and not open for any form of serious discussion.

I've always had a bit of personal aversion to midi, so I've never associated it with serious recording. The idea of acoustic music (in all forms including Mason William's contributions) are valid to me. I've dabbled just enough to know at least for me that having an intimate knowledge of an ADSR envelope generator or what midi command generates an oboe isn't in the cards for me.

I do appreciate your thoughts.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:09 PM

No, midi isn't for everybody. There's a huge learning curve there. However once you master it, you can take a sample program like the East West Symphonic Orchestra program and create your own symphony piece. It's like having the keys to the orchestra without the huge expense of hiring the many orchestral musicians. I don't have a real orchestra available to me, but this is the next best thing. The same goes with the Ivory II program that gives me very expensive grand piano's sounds available to me. These programs are a huge benefit once you master them.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD