The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Default neck like a steel string

hi ;i'm not a "classical" player but i do try to play the jazz standards.i 've been a steel string playe r all my life and would like to purchase a nylon string guitar [less than $400] that has a similar feel to a steel string guitar.every "classical" too wide for me.any help? thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Check out Ibanez. I think they do one or two crossovers within your price range.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM

Also check out the Breedlove Passport N200/CMP. It fits your price range and is very comfortable to play with a nut width of 1 3/4".
Old 10-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Yamaha NTX700
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 AM

Take in consideration that nylon strings move more while vibrating, so a too narrow neck may dificult "clean" playing. The strings will tend to reach your fingers placed on other strings if you are not very careful with your left hand placement, generating buzz or muting them.

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Chord View Post
Yamaha NTX700
Almost 3 times the target price, its too new to have many used sales
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhengsman View Post
Almost 3 times the target price, its too new to have many used sales
Not necessarily, the NTX700 is the bottom of the NTX series and can be had for a little more than the OP's target price...the NTX900fm and NTX1200r are definitely a lot more though
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BairdM3 View Post
Not necessarily, the NTX700 is the bottom of the NTX series and can be had for a little more than the OP's target price...the NTX900fm and NTX1200r are definitely a lot more though
The going rate for a new one right now is about $499.99, only $100 above the target price. I realize that may be too much, but it's not 3 times the target. I've been trying to decide between one of these right now, or a 1200r after I've scraped together a bit more cash..... I played a 700 in a local Guitar Center a few weeks ago and was very impressed with it both plugged and unplugged. I'm hoping to find a store that has a 1200r to try.

L.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM

I just went through this process myself a couple of weeks ago.
I tried & liked the Yamaha NTX700. I did not try it plugged in. It's sort of in your price range at the GC.
I bought a new Cordoba Orchestra 12 solid cedar top from Elderly, a bit more than your price range (and mine). With only 12 frets I found I missed the other two frets.
Other than that it was a lovely sounding guitar...but for over 7 hundred.
I sent it back to Elderly, sadly: too much money, not enough frets...but the cedar top sounded beautiful...:-(

I ended up buying another guitar by Cordoba, also in their "Fusion" crossover line: the Fusion 14RS.
I got a display model off ebay for a bit over three hundred.
14 frets, solid spruce top (natural color, not the "Jet 14" black model), laminate rosewood b/s, B-Band electronics...and I added a soft shell case direct from Cordoba.
The whole package cost less than half of what a new one usually streets for.

All in all a good compromise for my taste, interest in nylon strings and budget. I have played it a lot over the past two weeks. I have not done much experimenting with it electronically, but it seems a bit out of sorts on the bass end.

I put new strings on it and that was an interesting experience for a steel-string guy. :-)
Worth the investment...for now...

All of these, I believe, have 1&7/8" nut and radius-ed necks (at least the Cordoba do)

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Wink

I am in the market for a hybrid too. I tried all the Yamaha NTX and the 1200r definitely has a clearer tone than the 700 (difference between 700 & 900 is negligible in my opinion). 700 is laminate sides & back while 1200 is all solid and comes with foam case.

Then I tried the Taylor NS24ce. The playability was much smoother than the 1200r. The Taylor also has richer bass and volume. Both models are almost the same price. Yamaha is all solid while Taylor is laminate back & sides.

I am leaning towards the Taylor obviously but I am reluctant to get a laminate, despite the great playability & tone. My dealer doesn't bring in the all-solid NS34ce but I am considering ordering it 'blindly'

Back to the Yamaha... for sub $500, NTX700 is a great deal. I have owned Yamahas and they are great value & quality.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 AM

hi guys ;yeah i tried the yamaha ntx 700...GREAT!i have to sell my gretsch 5120 first ,then i m gonna buy this guitar.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Godin (the maker of Seagull) makes a nice "crossover" too...I'm guessing solid cedar top with ply back sides and a pup. I'm with the guy who posted earlier about string vibration though....and having played both for 30 odd years, add that the stuff I do on a classical I feels tight and unnatural on the thinner neck width...not too mention string buzz...I have big hands.. heck, John Williams didn't have big hands and Segovia had fat little fingers and neither of them went reaching for a steel width fretboard. Tradition isnt the only reason for the neck width I think though some of the players have been tearing it up on the crossovers. I have a Cort CEC5 which is a crossover neck width and a pup...and a nice guitar. I don't play it in favour a standard Ramirez.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerossi View Post
hi guys ;yeah i tried the yamaha ntx 700...GREAT!i have to sell my gretsch 5120 first ,then i m gonna buy this guitar.
I bought new Yamaha NTX900 six months ago for a price of NTX700 (they just got in the store and probably put a wrong price by mistake). It's beautiful guitar (plugged or unplugged) and very easy to play. Before I bought this one I was considering Godin/Seagull crossover and beside good reputation/price and solid built (Canadian made) I don't have any regret that I chose NTX.
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM

Lightbulb

I'll bet you a nickel that after you get your nylon with a narrow neck and play it a while, you'll wish you had opted for a 2" wide nut!
Thomas/
Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 PM

I have a NTX 700 I bought about 6 months or so ago. I am very happy with the quality, playability and tone for the price. Seems like a steel to me. It compared favorably with some costing about 20% more imho.

Hope this helps.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical