The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Default Pls, help me with 2nd guitar choice

Hi all,

I am a new user here - so I'll give to give you some background and introduce myself first

I live in Poland and started playing classical guitar about 3 years ago.
I am an amateur player, not too good on my guitar but am trying hard to improve

But recently I found that classical music is not really to my taste - I actually much prefer solo arrangements of pop / rock / celtic / jazz / latin (bossa, rumba, samba) music. So generally speaking - fingerstyle music with percussion elements.
Flamenco (easier pieces) is also on my list to try sometime in the future.
Thing is - I like playing all this music on nylon strings

But recently I started thinking that my CG (Pavan TP30 - cedar top) that I have now is not really suited to what I play and want to play.

I noticed that when I am playing faster pieces, and strumming, the guitar sometimes creates kind of a "wall of sound" - it does not seem to have clear note separation and it sounds a little bit muddy to me.
But it is GREAT for slow, romantic pieces.

Also the action is high for me - it's is slightly more than 4mm @12 fret.

So I started thinking how to make it easier for me to play and came up with the following options:
1. Take my CG guitar to the luthier and have he action lowered (but am afraid of losing sound quality) or
2. Buy a crossover classical guitar - e.g. Cervantes II - the closest to classical dimensions but with significantly lower action,
3. Buy a flamenco "negra" guitar, which as I read on the net is well suited for such crossover playing I want to do and lots of people use such guitars precisely for that purpose. But does it play significantly different from a classical guitar?

I do not think I would want to loose too much of CG sweetness of tone, but would like to have an easy and comfortable playing guitar.

Unfortunately, where I live (Poland) there are not too many shops where I can try various models, and whet they have is pretty much low-end stuff.

So I need to rely on the internet in my search...

What do you think?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Musical minimalist

I think you should look for a used classical with a spruce top....you'll get the string definition that you are looking for that will be more suited for the styles you are talking about. I got REALLY lucky with my Yairi CY140.....has the best of both worlds......warmth and string separation/treble snap that I like so much.

Certain builders build towards the fulll Spanish (dark) sound and others lean more towards the brighter side. Spend some time on Dream Guitars, Guitar Salon International and Gryphon Stringed Instruments websites and listed to their recordings. Even to to Youtube and just do a search for certain guitars and see if you can find some with spruce tops....you'll get the feel for what I'm getting at.....

Here's one of the guitars at Dream, the recording of which I find quite appealing.....and my Yairi comes very close to this sound.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/products...pe_4-08-12.php

Last edited by fitness1; 10-18-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM

A Cervantes or a Yairi CY140 like Todd suggested would be an excellent choice. I used to own a CY140 Yairi. I only sold it because I prefer crossover neck. Also Gruhns has a Humprey designed Sting signature model classical in stock that is worth considering.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Odie,

You and I are going in exactly the opposite directions... I am headed to classical, you are leaving it. I have a gorgeous 1972 Yairi CY140 that I will be selling soon (I find my Hippner Brazilian more suited to the sound I want). If you are interested, PM me... I will send photos and we can have a Skype session so you can see and hear my beauty. Sad to sell it, but would be very happy to find a good new home.

Bill Doyle

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Don't mean to blaspheme here, but recently I picked up a Godin ACS SA Flame Maple Ltd Ed (nylon strings) at a guitar center, and man, I totally fell for this guitar! Plays like an electric, sounds like an acoustic. They had it running through a fishman loud box (acoustic amp) and I totally fell in love. It's definitely my next purchase. That's after playing several very high priced guitars off the wall. For some reason, that Godin just did it for me! I saw Rik Emmett of Triumph last year during his club/acoustic tour with Dave Dunlop, and each of em' had one of those Godins. I was impressed, they sounded superb! I have no idea what to recommend, other than what I own, a 1990 Yairi CY 127, sweet guitar, it's the only classical I own, so I'm limited to my opinion. Good luck on your search!
Peace,
Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical