The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Time to move it along?

Hey all, I have more guitars than I need or regularly play ( I know this sounds crazy to some...��), but I have been pondering this question for some time. I have a georgous 2013 Taylor 516e FLTD with figured mahogany that sounds heavenly...but, I just don’t play it that much. I seem to play either my Yamaha or my Martin much much more, and I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t move it along to someone else who will play it all the time. I have put it on the market a couple of times in the past year and a half, but chickened out both times and pulled it off the market. Am I crazy for thinking about selling the best guitar I have ever owned, or should I let it go and keep enjoying the guitars I play on a regular basis? It would be nice to restock the old savings account with the proceeds. Looking to the wisdom of the forum...thanks in advance for your thoughts...
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C

Last edited by sstaylor58; 02-20-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM

As soon as you sell it you will regret it. Put away your other guitars and start playing it. You may rediscover it. I would only sell it if you are in real financial need.

The other option is try to sell it at a high price. If it sells, it's a sign.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 PM

I sold my 514ce and wish I hadn't. My 2 cents worth.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Unfortunately that's a call only you can make? I've sold some guitars I really regretted and some that I never gave another thought. Sorry...but you gotta figure this one out on your own?
That said...I'd probably only sell it to replace it with something I thought was better? And sometimes that backfires too? Best of luck whatever you decide...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Every time I think about selling one of mine, I pick it up and play it.
That usually stops me dead in my tracks. None of my guitars are what I consider expensive by Forum standards from what I can surmise, so why get rid of one for the sake of getting rid of it...if that makes any sense.
Do you need the money? Money is only good for what it buys. If that's your best-sounding guitar, you likely will regret the exchange...great guitar for $$

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
....It would be nice to restock the old savings account with the proceeds....
Yeah, that would be nice, but only so you could get that other guitar you've always had your eye on!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I understand we’re you are coming from, and I say sell and don’t look back.
I have a Lowden D22, sweet and unique sounding guitar and a Furch D33LRC, another amazing guitar. Put them on the (local) market a half dozen times, but always take them off for the fear that I would regret getting rid of them. But still they sit in the case and do not get played

I will be listing them for sale again. And, the funds will be used for some future attack of GAS. I just hope someone buys them before I change my mind again
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I've bought and sold allot of guitars in the last fifty years. Which also means I've had several guitars setting around most of the time. I always like the one I like to play best. That's me. I learned one thing and that is if I don't enjoy playing a guitar I just as soon sell it sooner than later because it's dead weight. Holding on to it for six months or six years is not going to make it more enjoyable to me. Life's short, move on to better things.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 PM
Guest 1511

Sounds like it's just wall art right now. Best to put the money back in savings for that day when the pipes bust and the insurance doesn't quite cover it.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 PM

Default Looking to the wisdom of the forum...thanks in advance for your thoughts...

"I have a georgous 2013 Taylor 516e FLTD with figured mahogany that sounds heavily"...?(hope you mean Heavenly!) Find it? Pick it up and put the rest of your acoustics in their cases for one month. Then make a decision
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...about evenly split between keep it and sell it...no wonder I’m torn...
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

It may sound heavenly, but the fact that you don't play it much tells you everything you need to know. There is something that is bugging you...whether it be the tone, playability, neck shape, doesn't matter.

I'll borrow a line from one of my favorite movies, Ronin:

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

Sell it and move on. Best to save the cash for the next acquisition...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
I have put it on the market a couple of times in the past year and a half, but chickened out both times and pulled it off the market. Am I crazy for thinking about selling the best guitar I have ever owned, or should I let it go and keep enjoying the guitars I play on a regular basis?
Unless there's something fairly specific you want to use the funds for, I can't see why you'd want to sell "the best guitar [you] have ever owned."
Old 02-20-2018, 11:06 PM

OP: I think this is a great question.

My approach has been to sell the guitars that I very rarely play and then never look back. So far it has worked great. I have sold about 6 guitars in the last 12 years and I don't regret selling even one of them. I also have a pretty strict rule about not keeping more than 3 guitars at a time and so I focus my energy on the 3 I have (or the one I want). To look back on the ones that I sold feels like a waste of time. They are gone now. And the current 3 are so nice.

Related to this, if you haven't read it already the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo is a great one (in my opinion) and touches on this topic (but not with guitars specifically). The author recommends that we hold our objects in front of us one at a time and ask ourselves whether they truly bring us joy. If not, then we should let them go. It actually drains our energy to be saddled with things we don't love.

In short, I'd sell the guitar. You'll be ok. Maybe even better.
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 PM

If it sounds heavenly and it's the best guitar you've ever owned, what is keeping you from playing it? Is it not as comfortable to play as your other guitars? If that's it, is there something that could help? Maybe you should put your other guitars aside for a few weeks and just play this one. That may help you figure out.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion