The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 02-01-2018, 02:24 PM

Default A new concert season is upon us !

The concert season is warming up and my goal is to see performers where I can get a good seat (all the seats with single alphabet letters: Rows A-Z, no double AA etc) and pay under $200 for a ticket.

So far had to pass on Steve Martin and Martin Short concert ($200-300 for those rows in question, Tivoli Theater, Chattanooga) and The Dead and Company ($300-400 for seats in question, Multiple Atlanta Ampitheaters).

On the other hand, this Saturday am seeing Drivin N Cryin for $15.00 (350 person capacity bar); toward the end of the month seeing Kevn Kinney (Drivin N Cryin lead singer and song writer doing a two set acoustic show for $20 at Crimson Café, Daloniga (Sp ?), GA, 100 seat capacity food drink and music venue; and just got 5th row balcony presale tickets to see The Mavericks (Grammy Award Winning Americana Music; $47.00 + $14.00 service fee +tax each) at the Buckhead Theater in beginning of March.

No regrets over the two Steves. May regret the Dead decision as $47 lawn seats are available and I loved the Dead and hear John Mayer is playing well in place of Jerry, but am just tired of taking binoculars to a concert to watch it live and can't think of a single band I'd pay 3-4 hundred to see. Perhaps if the Beatles rose from the dead and regrouped.

On the other hand, three good to excellent shows with excellent seats for right around $100. Should be a good season as increasingly, bigger names (to this 58 yo) are performing in smaller venues and putting on great shows.

Enjoy yours' and please comment on your hopes and plans for the concert season!

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 02-01-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
The concert season is warming up and my goal is to see performers where I can get a good seat (all the seats with single alphabet letters: Rows A-Z, no double AA etc) and pay under $200 for a ticket.

So far had to pass on Steve Martin and Martin Short concert ($200-300 for those rows in question, Tivoli Theater, Chattanooga) and The Dead and Company ($300-400 for seats in question, Multiple Atlanta Ampitheaters).

On the other hand, this Saturday am seeing Drivin N Cryin for $15.00 (350 person capacity bar); toward the end of the month seeing Kevn Kinney (Drivin N Cryin lead singer and song writer doing a two set acoustic show for $20 at Crimson Café, Daloniga (Sp ?), GA, 100 seat capacity food drink and music venue; and just got 5th row balcony presale tickets to see The Mavericks (Grammy Award Winning Americana Music; $47.00 + $14.00 service fee +tax each) at the Buckhead Theater in beginning of March.

No regrets over the two Steves. May regret the Dead decision as $47 lawn seats are available and I loved the Dead and hear John Mayer is playing well in place of Jerry, but am just tired of taking binoculars to a concert to watch it live and can't think of a single band I'd pay 3-4 hundred to see. Perhaps if the Beatles rose from the dead and regrouped.

On the other hand, three good to excellent shows with excellent seats for right around $100. Should be a good season as increasingly, bigger names (to this 58 yo) are performing in smaller venues and putting on great shows.

Enjoy yours' and please comment on your hopes and plans for the concert season!

John
John,

I hear you on the cost issue. I loved Elton John when I was a kid, and he is one of the few of my favorites I've never seen live.

He is coming to town in September for his so called last tour. Factoring in the fees it is 65 to sit in the cheap seats, 140 for a lousy seat on the floor a long ways off, and nearly 250 for a decent seat. My wife won't sit in boondocks, and we are both too cheap to pay that kind of money for a seat she wants to be in. So it's a no go....

Enjoy the shows!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=reeve21;5624335]John,

I hear you on the cost issue. I loved Elton John when I was a kid, and he is one of the few of my favorites I've never seen live.

He is coming to town in September for his so called last tour. Factoring in the fees it is 65 to sit in the cheap seats, 140 for a lousy seat on the floor a long ways off, and nearly 250 for a decent seat. My wife won't sit in boondocks, and we are both too cheap to pay that kind of money for a seat she wants to be in. So it's a no go....

reeve21,

Although an Elton fan as well, I didn't even torture my self by checking as I knew they would be too high for my new price ceiling. The most I ever paid for a ticket was $200 a pop to see Styx at the Ryman in Nashville. It was a painful purchase until the show started. I had forgot how many great hits they had and had no clue what a great performance they would give. I ended up feeling like the tickets were worth every penny and came home with a pick used during the show.

On the other hand, paid $150 a pop for Van Morrison tickets as I was a rabid fan (CRAZY LOVE was my wedding dance, "Brown eyed" girl also on the play list) and got lousy balcony seats to listen to him mumble incomprehensibly through a 90 minute set. Never again !

I've actually enjoyed the smaller venues as the stars are generally more approachable before or after the show. Pure Prarie League, Davey Jones (before he died), Poco, Drivin N Cryin, Kevn Kinney, The Mavericks, Tommy Emmanuel, Paula Cole, Tinsley Ellis, Rob Ikes & Trey Hensley, the Kruger Bros were all seen at small or smallish venues for well under $100 (many under $50 a ticket) and made themselves available for meet and greets and autographs and pics. For me, that REALLY adds to the experience. No meet and greet with John Prine, but still a smallish venue and good ticket price and awesome tunes. I've also seen Pierce Pettis twice in friends living rooms. How awesome is that !

Thanks for sharing and here's to small venues and reasonably priced tickets !

Peace !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Well John, you could be my long lost southern musical brother!

PPL was my first concert, and POCO was my favorite band as a teenager. I've seen both many, many times since the mid 70's.

On my (one) trip to Nashville we got lucky, Vince Gill hosted and PPL was one of the guests at the Opry.

And Van---I still love him but his performance was about as close as it gets to disappointing. Very professional, for sure, but about as much passion as I have at my job on Friday afternoon

Enjoy those shows!

P.S. I have seen Dead and Company twice and it is the best stuff they have done since JG died...but I'm passing this time around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases