The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I play acoustic 99 percent of the time but it's definitely fun to get out what my kids call my "rock star guitar" (Fender Baja Telecaster) every now and then. I don't feel like it takes away from my acoustic time or talents one bit.

I've had a couple of Bajas. IMHO they're the best 'standard' non-custom shop Telecaster made by Fender, the US models included. Love the fat necks and the pickups are excellent-you can get a passable 'Peter Green' tone using the magic button too.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JH View Post
Don’t you need a band behind you to play electric? An acoustic is a one man band.
Nope, Martin Taylor (great name!), does rather well with an amplified archtop, and of course there's the insurmountable Chet Atkins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZMoymgqbU

Last edited by AndrewG; 02-10-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 AM

Electric is fun, too.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very rarely, if ever. I have about 15 acoustics and one Epiphone Les Paul that sits in my closet.

scott memmer
Old 02-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I play acoustic mostly, but I am happy with the acoustics I have.

It seems I am always lusting after another electric. They just look so cool- shiny, colorful, different shapes, cool knobs, different pick ups....all kinds of things that attract me.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Nashvillian View Post
...that so many here mention the Telecaster. Why would that be the acoustic guitarists' favorite electric? Maybe it's their common association with flattops in country music? Or the traditionalism that says, "If I'm gonna try the newfangled instrument, I want the oldest one I can get." Certainly it's not the similarities in playing one. The Fender guitars I've seen have such a long, skinny neck with a tight fretboard radius. Like holding a tree branch instead of a plank. It's as different as a neck could be from a traditional Martin neck, isn't it?

My first guitars were Gibsons, a Melody Maker and an LG-O. Both had short scale and medium-wide necks that resembled one another. And it's the same now with my Godin guitars- the acoustic Fifth Avenue, the Kingpin with its P-90, and my Icon II Convertible have essentially the same neck dimensions and feel. So did my Seagull Mini Jumbo, now passed down to my daughter. Four different guitars with entirely different sounds, but I can switch between them with almost left-hand adjustments.

So I'd think an acoustic guitarist might seek out an electric with a matching neck, yes?
Very interesting observations. I’ve run across advertising literature that describes the Fender Telecaster as the “Everyman’s” guitar of the latter half of the 20th century without even mention of the word “electric”. Scary, isn’t it?
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 PM

I'm an acoustic guy, I was intrigued with the idea of playing an electric guitar so I scratched the itch. I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, a Fender Blues Jr amp, been doing the pedal thing to try and find a sound but I just can't connect to it.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 02-10-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Very interesting observations. I’ve run across advertising literature that describes the Fender Telecaster as the “Everyman’s” guitar of the latter half of the 20th century without even mention of the word “electric”. Scary, isn’t it?

There are easy arguments to support that it is quite everyone. Then add Americana. Look at the construction, early players, and then look at Fender marketing.

A few pieces of not at all exotic wood with metal attached and covered with simple paint.

My early visual memories are album covers, Ed Sullivan Show, and all sorts of musicians. It included WWII vets in the band (jazz) my dad was in.

Don Rich, Muddy Waters and Ed Bickert making different music the same time trips into music stores with my dad saw Don Randall posters.

On the everyman’s idea.... In my k-12 days I know a lot of kids who had music in the family and more educated parents had guitar lessons with acoustic guitars. At about middle school on it struck me how quite a few kids who were not in band, orchestra or choir were playing electric guitars and bass.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Why limit yourself if you can afford it. Acoustic, electric...It's all good!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:17 PM

Some guitars are just so pretty and they play so sweet!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Erm...what's an electric guitar? If I was a teenager and just starting out, then my setup would look something like this:

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM

(I keep checking back on this thread to see how many who have confessed our mods allow to remain. (Just kidding everyone! But you do remember the name of this place, right? )

cotten
Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've never really owned an electric. I realize this sounds odd.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:56 AM

All. The. Freaking. Time. I got a killer deal on a Tele last year. It was great but of course I modded it a little. Loved playing it. But after a while I realized I was back to playing the acoustics. I sold the Tele at a nice profit.

My wife refuses to understand the economy of this even though I've done it numerous times: I buy something low and sell high. It's a "free" rental. She has nixed surefire money-making flips because she finds it infuriating that I obsess over this stuff. I wish she would just let me have my fun. I don't golf, I drive a cheap second hand car and even went without a car for a year. Music is my only hobby. And I make the money, which we have. But maybe she's right and I should just enjoy what I have.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I have never owned an electric. Played one a few times a long time ago and didn't connect. And I really don't have anyplace to plug in that wouldn't disturb others. Never played guitar in a band and probably never will. But yes, of course I would love to own a telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion