The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
A host of Les Pauls a Tele a Strat and an Ibanez post the Marshall dayz:
Simple:
guitar> Cry Baby> Pro Co Rat> Delay> Digital Stereo Chorus split> two tweaked Fender Tweed Vibroverbs...phat baby!
Hey Noledog, what did you use during your gigging days with your Les Paul? - I'm talking about the pics from the other thread.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Noledog, what did you use during your gigging days with your Les Paul? - I'm talking about the pics from the other thread.
I had a variety of setups and I also had a bass rig when I was in my Steve Harris inspired mode. I had that Pro Co Rat early on and used it down thru the years because it has always been my favorite crunch pedal. I had three Les Pauls and I rewired them all with Duncans and coil taps in the 80's & 90's. Two had PAF/JB and one with PAF/Distortion. I ran them originally thru a Lab Series L5 100w amp with 2 EV 12's and an additional 4x12 cabs. I replaced the Lab with a Marshall 50w head to reduce volume on stage and bring up in PA/monitors. I then I switched to a host of Fender amps but loved the Vibroverbs I had tweaked. I kept the effects to a minimum liking the cleaner signal and pure crunch. I wired my sky blue Ibanez front PU with an old PAF from an old SG. I painted the pu red and put a Duncan Zebra distortion for the rear pu and tapped the coil via a single push volume control, no tone control...killer guitar!
This pic is a natural walnut Les Paul thru a Fender 100w Twin 2x12 with additional 4x12 cab with Rat and chorus pedals only...you can also see my Guild D25 right behind me that I played direct thru the PA...oh and the snakeskin boots too.

I found this old pic of the Lab series L5; this amp cranked and the only solid state amp I ever liked. It had a built in compressor that worked fantastic and was very loud. 100w and I put in 2 EV 100w 12's...this was beast and heavy as crap! It eventually became my home practice/backup amp as seen here when I moved to Marshalls and Fenders. I had a few Strats and here is one of them along side my prized Paul that is worn and naturally reliced by years of my abuse! Nothing stock on it except front Dirty Fingers front pu. It still sounds awesome, plays like butta and resides with one of my sons. The one and only Tele I owned is this George Harrison rosewood model I outfitted with Duncan's and was a screaming banshee but heavy as crap...but boy it sounded great on the Zepplin stuff. Sold it along with my arctic white Les Paul Custom and Ibanez for a ticket for me and my Guild D25 to go play in South America...loved it!

Sorry to go on with all this geeky nostalgia Dru but its kinda fun goin' back. I loved makin' my own sound and tweaking my gear. It was simple back then but I had a killer crunch, not fuzzy or muddy just, well BANSHEE baby!

Last edited by noledog; 01-23-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Noledog, I enjoy looking at old gig photos (not that I'm saying you're old). It's starting to make me nostalgic of my gigging days. I'm not home this week-end but next week-end I'm going to plug my Les Paul into my Marshall and play some Maiden
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 AM

My signal path picture:

Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 AM

Clydeslide (^), sweet!!! I'm not familiar with the amp (Flynn) or the guitar (can't read the headstock).
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Clydeslide (^), sweet!!! I'm not familiar with the amp (Flynn) or the guitar (can't read the headstock).
Thanks

Flynn Amps are a small custom shop in Glasgow. They do the basics, such as my 5E3, and some of their own things such as the 284 which is the power-stage of an AC15 combined with the pre-amp of an AC30. Pretty much a better Vox than a Vox. They also do a 15-watt Marshall JTM that sounds ridiculously good but has to be used at stage volumes really.

http://www.flynnamps.co.uk/usatweeddeluxe.html

The guitar is a Gordon Smith GS 1.60 P90, basically Gordon Smiths version of the Jr. They are a small shop builder based close to Manchester. They don't do custom work, you pick a guitar from their website and from the pretty extensive list of options, they'll do solid and burst colours but not custom art-work, and they build it. Handcrafted, lead time is about 4-6 months depending on workload.

The prices are ridiculously cheap for what you get, mainly because they only build set guitars and nothing custom and the end result is fantastic.

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/products/

That guitar cost me $900ish, would have been $800 without the gold finish.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM

I have added a TC Electronics tuner and the Digitech iStomp. LOL, might get another so I can run the Digitech Tube Screamer and some another pedal or two. Having some immediate GAS for the Wampler Paisley Drive.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM

How is the iStomp?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
How is the iStomp?
There's a thread about it that's currently active. I've only tried a few pedals. Pretty sure the one I have will be a dedicated Tube Screamer, which was the first thing I tried out. A little too happy with the TS to mess around with other pedals yet.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Pretty simple signal path these days....guitar --> Line 6 M9 --> Fender Supersonic 22. I mostly use the OD on the SS22, since it does mild crunch through hard OD pretty well (although I do like a couple of the Line 6 OD's) and has great Fender spring reverb. My other amp is a Fender Mustang III, so straight in on that fun little amp!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Cool very cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
This ...

I used to have all the Rockman stuff... loved it! Had the main unit, plus eq, reverb/delay, compressor and chorus... all in a little rack box. Used that for years as my front end while gigging... for both acoustic and electric tones.

Scholz' stuff worked great for recording, too! Piece by piece, mine just bit the bullet over time...

Nice flashback, Tomana! Thanks...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeslide View Post
Thanks

Flynn Amps are a small custom shop in Glasgow. They do the basics, such as my 5E3, and some of their own things such as the 284 which is the power-stage of an AC15 combined with the pre-amp of an AC30. Pretty much a better Vox than a Vox. They also do a 15-watt Marshall JTM that sounds ridiculously good but has to be used at stage volumes really.

http://www.flynnamps.co.uk/usatweeddeluxe.html

The guitar is a Gordon Smith GS 1.60 P90, basically Gordon Smiths version of the Jr. They are a small shop builder based close to Manchester. They don't do custom work, you pick a guitar from their website and from the pretty extensive list of options, they'll do solid and burst colours but not custom art-work, and they build it. Handcrafted, lead time is about 4-6 months depending on workload.

The prices are ridiculously cheap for what you get, mainly because they only build set guitars and nothing custom and the end result is fantastic.

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/products/

That guitar cost me $900ish, would have been $800 without the gold finish.
It's great to read about gear on the other side of the Atlantic that we wouldn't see here. Sounds like you've got an excellent rig!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM

Mine is Epiphone Special into a Mustang 1.
Guitar is stock and I believe brand new ones are $130 or so these days.
I got mine in 1996. Thinking about changing neck pickup with Seymour Duncan 59, or something similar. Few other bits as well.
As it sits I like to use 57 Deluxe (dirty) and 65 Twin Reverb (clean) models, with a little reverb and delay. Gain set mid way or less, controlled by guitar volume knob for mild to wild. I have come close to some classic rock sounds with minor knob fiddling.

Like to crank out Metallica/Sepultura/Slayer tunes - for these I use distortion models and tweak. It takes me back to when we used to play this stuff in a band. With the very same guitar none the less.

Occasionally I will use my Morley wah pedal in the mix.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cial-II_HS.jpg

Guitar in question. Not mine but just like it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 AM

PRS P22 into stereo set up-one cable to AER C-60, other to PRS Dallas II amp, and Marshall 5watt- through fulltone Clyde wah, TC Elect chorus or delay, or straight into 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb w/ Chandler Tube Driver.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars