The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Arguably,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
I was under the impression that the first Taylor solid Body guitars used non-standard pickups - pickups other than standard size Gibson style humbucker, P-90, Firebird, Tele and Strat pickups. Maybe I was wrong - I didn't look that closely. Now it seems that Taylor is building solid body guitars with standard size pickups. That, to me, would be very important because I rarely leave the stock pickups in an electric guitar. I'm always trying boutique and high end replacement pickups and I have some favorites that I tend to use in my Strats, Teles and Gibson guitars. Since Taylor solid body guitars rarely get mentioned on forums such as the Seymour Duncan Forum and others, I can only assume that the players who buy Taylor solid body guitars tend to be players who hang out here and who love Taylor's acoustic guitars.

Because I'm a Taylor lover, I'd love to try one - but I've never seen one offered at the any of the shops I frequent. Maybe in these hard economic times the smaller shops I tend to buy from don't want to take a chance investing in a Taylor solid body.
On the other hand, if Fender and Gibson had better QC on their pickups, then maybe there wouldn't be a need for after-market pickups...and yes, I do have Fender guitars and a bass that has after-market pickups!
Maybe Taylor DOES make excellent pickups for their SB guitars to a point where their owners don't feel the need to upgrade their pickups....
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Arguably,

double post
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM

leeasam - That is a lovely guitar!

I went with the T3/B. I love the lift pots, I love the tone, I love the playability, and I love the overall look. I wanted a semi-hollow to fill out my collection. Played a lot of them. The only one that came close in my opinion was a D'Aquisto that cost nearly twice as much (but was certainly worth the price).

The only thing I'd change is the knobs, and it looks like all the electrics use the same type of knob.

Also, you cannot perform a nut bend on a T3, which, granted, is kind of an advanced technique. There's just no room to press on the strings back behind the nut like you might on a tele or strat. But, I bought it regardless. That's why we need to have more than one guitar, am I right?

This is my first Taylor. So not everyone who buys a Taylor electric was a previous Taylor acoustic owner.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
I was under the impression that the first Taylor solid Body guitars used non-standard pickups - pickups other than standard size Gibson style humbucker, P-90, Firebird, Tele and Strat pickups. Maybe I was wrong - I didn't look that closely. Now it seems that Taylor is building solid body guitars with standard size pickups. That, to me, would be very important because I rarely leave the stock pickups in an electric guitar. I'm always trying boutique and high end replacement pickups and I have some favorites that I tend to use in my Strats, Teles and Gibson guitars. Since Taylor solid body guitars rarely get mentioned on forums such as the Seymour Duncan Forum and others, I can only assume that the players who buy Taylor solid body guitars tend to be players who hang out here and who love Taylor's acoustic guitars.

Because I'm a Taylor lover, I'd love to try one - but I've never seen one offered at the any of the shops I frequent. Maybe in these hard economic times the smaller shops I tend to buy from don't want to take a chance investing in a Taylor solid body.
Taylor has always offered full size and 3/4 size humbuckers. Later, they added single coil pickups and the ability to swap out 8 different pickup combinations by simply unplugging one cable and replacing the pickguard (the pickups are now mounted to the pickguard).
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 PM

While Taylor uses a special plug to connect their pickups to the board instead of soldering - I read a letter to Taylor tech that someone complained that that would prevent them from using aftermarket pickups. Taylor tech support responded yes they could. they have a PDF of a wiring diagram on how to connect the connector wire to any pickup and still take advantage of the 5 way switch.

I really like the clarity of the full sized standard pick ups. even under high gain there is still real good note definition unlike many guitars I have owned in past. My 02 LP Standard was actually real muddy in the neck position. I also had ESP LP body guitar with the coveted JB/59 set. While nice I still like the Taylors better. I actually liked the Ceramic 500s in my 2001 Explorer even though they were hot they had good clarity. Especially playing clean on the neck pickup. Actually real surprising.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM

I love mine...I've played mostly gibsons and fenders all my life and the taylor custom I just bought plays better then anything I've owned.

I mean let's think about it...the best thing about a taylor is its neck...it is hard to find a better neck on an acoustic...they just play so easily. Well, the electric has the same easy playability!!

Plus I love the direction they've taken w/ the new bridge and the non-solder approach. Open up the insides and it's soo clean looking.

It will take 10 or more years though before it becomes "common".
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Hmm...an avowed Taylor acoustic/electric player here. I have been primarily an electric player, and I have downsized to 3 select electrics. A Thorn Artisan, a PRS Singlecut Trem with a rosewood neck, and a Custom Shop Strat. I haven't looked at electrics since settling on these....well maybe a nice Tele
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM

I feel sorry for all those poor folks who disagree with me ...too bad they don't have a clue as to how wrong they are...

Ok, so maybe the OP didn't really mean this and truly asked his question in earnest. But c'mon, not everyone buys into the lockstep marketing out there in print, and now digital, medialand. Clearly enough people buy into the marketing, otherwise the Fender, Gibby, et.al. would not be so, er, "big." But anyone who has played excellent guitars that are outside their sphere of comfort knows for a fact that there are scores of makers out there that churn out fabulous, no-excuse instruments. And here's the insult: many are better; and more than a few at a lower price than the so-called "standards."

I have my "go-to" electrics which I love, and a few have owned for a looong time, so really have no need for a new electric, Taylor or otherwise. But were this 20 years ago and the current Talyor electric line existed then, you could bet your bottom dollar I would have reached out for one.

Taylor electrics don't need excuses, apologies, rationalizations, or any "defense" per se, though I admittedly feel like I must speak up for them as the "little" guy (though not so little any more). If folks don't like them, so be it: this is true for any make. But to question "how" one could possibly "lust for" a Taylor when there are (presumably better) Fenders, Gibbys, etc. out there just ...well, just misses the point entirely. And yes, all IMHO.

Edward
Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM

I own 2 and they are fabulous guitars!!

SolidBody Custom Walnut:

SolidBody Classic:

I may be getting one of the new Double Cuts in the future.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 AM

I don't own one, but I've been really impressed with the few that I've played. I've got a couple LP's that are my main electrics, but fell in love with a Classic Single. I couldn't believe the tone coming out of those single coils. If I played more electric guitar, I'd surely invest in one...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM

^^ This guy

This is one amongst Fenders, Gibson/Epiphones, ESP, Schecter, and others. Each guitar has it's own sound and feels good on certain songs...but my Taylor is my favorite, and the only electric guitar that I own who lives in a case and not in a stand when I'm not playing it.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 PM

If anyone is seriously unhappy with their Taylor Solid Body, just send it to me... and I promise it will never bother you again! ;-)
Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

I got a chance to "live" with a walnut SB Custom for about 6 months, and I really loved that guitar! Impeccable finish work and Taylor's spot-on intonation... I had it strung w/ 11's; because of the short-ish scale, it played like a dream!

I love the electronics, both the pick-ups and the tone controls... the guitar sounded wonderful, either through my solid-state or tube amps. I hear about so many players that get a new guitar and change pickups and all... but with the Taylor's, I would not even think about it!

In the end, the SB didn't really "fit" with my body, for some reason - although a friend of mine suggested it was my belly, LOL! I don't think so; there was just something about the neck position or something that didn't work for me - otherwise, I'd have one right now! I'm still lusting after a long session with one of those T-3's!

I think there are a lot of players who are "stuck" with Gibson, PRS or Fender; those companies make great guitars (some of 'em) but I really think that the Taylor electrics more than hold their own, in EVERY regard... and you can see I own a couple Gibsons... it may take a while, but Taylor has the right idea... and that idea will catch on...

... in the meantime, if you happen to run across a T-3 w/ Bigsby for a REALLY great price, send it over my way!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Just want to thank every one who responded to this thread. Who buys Taylor electric solid body guitars? Clearly its people who buy Taylor acoustic guitars!

I love Taylor acoustic guitars and own three and have owned many. But I'll probably always be a Gibson and Fender player when it comes to electrics. The ES-335, Stratocaster and Telecaster body and neck shape are what I'm attracted to after all these years and those are the electric guitars I own and play.

I'm not that taken by the "look" of the Taylor electrics. Beautiful woods for sure, but the body shape is not especially sexy and they're a little plain. And since the pickguard of the three pickup design Taylor follows the body shape, it too seems a little ungraceful in shape. To much MOT (mother of toilet seat) on some of those three pickup Taylors - takes away from the look of the beautiful woods.

I wish the Taylor dealers in my area had some to try.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 AM

I chose the T3/B over the ES335. I thought Taylor had better workmanship, more attention to detail, and while it doesn't have the double cutaway it is a tone monster - I can pretty much get any sound I want out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars