The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2000, 01:57 AM

Post Doyle Dykes Signature Model

So, I just picked up my 6th (I just gotta stop this) Taylor today. A gorgeous natural finish Doyle Dykes signature guitar. What a piece of work. The LR Baggs pickup system is superb, the woodwork w/all the inlay and the big leaf maple is just beautiful. I'll send some photos up to the photos page soon for all to see if you're interested.
Old 11-18-2000, 02:17 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow, Dennis! Welcome to Taylor-aholics anonymous. Congrats on the new guitar! I cant wait to see/hear all about it. You are amassing quite a collection of fine instruments there. Enjoy them in good health!

J.R. Rogers
Old 11-20-2000, 02:40 PM

Talking

Dennis, I couldn't agree more. My natural Doyle is certainly a "piece of work" as well. The sound is unbelievably clear and bright, with a surprising amount of bass, and has gotten better in just the months that I've owned it. Every time I play I still have to hold it up, stare at it, and remind myself that it is indeed mine.

Unfortunately, it's only my second Taylor. But I'm sure I'll catch up to you someday. ;-)
Old 11-21-2000, 02:16 AM

Wink

Hello Dennis,

Congratulations on your Doyle Dykes model.

Is it quilted maple? envy....envy....Yours is a natural color right?

By the way, does it have the new neck design?

Also, is it a grand auditorium? How about depth? Is it thinner than a regular grand auditorium...if that's what it is?

I've never seen one up close.

Thanks

What the heck, I'm curious.

------------------
RL
Old 11-21-2000, 05:17 AM

This guitar is gorgeous. Mine is the natural finish. I've never owned a natural finish guitar and wasn't sure what i'd think; however, when i held it in the store, I was sold. Beautiful. Yes, it is a grand auditorium, but with a sharper than normal cutaway. Depth is 4 1/8", same as the Clint Black model. For comparison, my 514ceab is 4 5/8" in depth. And it does have the new neck design. The inlayed rose on the headstock is a great finishing touch. I'll post some pictures in the next few days (that is, I'll send them to our friendly webmseiter, and he can do it <g> ). I took it to work today, and my guitar-playing buddies had things like this to say: "without a doubt, the most beautiful acoustic guitar I've ever seen", "feels like butter in your hands", "I want one."

Go get one. Limited supply. What an instrument.

dc
Old 01-01-2001, 08:53 PM

Oh boy are they nice!

Me and my roommate both ordered the DDSM's. Mine is natural; I just love to see the grain of the wood. The black one is cool because it is translucent. You can still see much of the grain and because of this, it hides fingerprints better. Not that many fingerprints would ever be left on it! It is too beautiful to not wipe down after playing. Very elegant.
Both are the quilted maple -- I heard it was "German" maple. When they do the standard production they are supposed to switch to the standard maple. (and raise the price) The standard production black won't be translucent. The neck is that new design.
The easy way to describe size is to say it is basically a 614 with the depth of a 612. Of course, it is an incredibly gorgeous 614, wink wink. Florentine cutaway. I wish they weren't so expensive. I'd buy a half dozen!
Old 01-16-2001, 02:16 AM
BC

Wink

I want to order this model also but I'm scared that it will be to bright for my taste because of all of the maple. Is the guitar very bassy? Is it very balanced? I love the look of the guitar. How does the sound compare to a 914ce? Is it as boomy volume wise as a thicker model? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2001, 09:24 AM

Yes, it is pretty bright, but it is also balanced. It has more bass than I thought it would have, but obviously isn't going to have as much as the full depth guitars or any rosewood model. If you like the warmth and full richness of the 914, this may not be the guitar for you. If you are wanting something that still sounds great but very different, bright and sweet, then you might like it.
If I didn't know what model this was and played this next to a standard 614ce, I would probably go for the 614. I like full sounding guitars. But if compared to the 612, then the Doyle would win hands-down. It is much richer than the little guitar but still has much of the brightness. It doesn't sound like any other Taylor I have ever played. The shallower depth has it responding a little faster than a 614. I like it and will probably play it more in the future, but when I got it, I also purchased that K14C with englemann top and have mostly been playing that one.
My roommate has the black version of the DDSM, and I think hers sounds better than mine. We played one other, and it sounds different yet. Ok, they are much the same, but the differences were noticeable. All are good, just different.
I would still recommend one if you like bright or want to use it on stage.
Old 01-16-2001, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trombone:
Yes, it is pretty bright, but it is also balanced; It doesn't sound like any other Taylor I have ever played; I would still recommend one if you like bright or want to use it on stage.
I would agree with trombone. It's extremely well-balanced, and can be played as hard or soft as you want without the risk of losing that balance. I would especially agree that it doesn't sound like any other Taylor-it's a very unique sound, and one that I've loved since I first heard it. It's a great guitar with a wonderfully balanced, rich sound (to me), and I would whole-heartedly recommend it for stage or home use. (You can check mine out by looking at my gear.)

BTW-the pickups on this are great! I've played it in church, and the sound is just stunning through their PA system-very full and clear.

------------------
ihs' Gear
Old 01-20-2001, 03:11 AM

Wink

Hey IHS... here's a quiz for ya.. nice pics of your DDSM, by the way. Mine has what appears to be a 3 piece back. I don't see the same trim on the back of yours. Anyone know what the deal is on this? Never noticed it till just now when I looked at your pics.... either way, it's a gorgeous guitar.
Old 01-20-2001, 08:15 AM

Hey Dennis!
What do you mean by "trim"?
Purfling? Those little striped bits in between the three pieces? I gotta know.
What does yours look like?
Old 01-20-2001, 03:22 PM

Trombone:

Go to the gallery on this site and look at the pictures that JR posted of my guitar (look under Signature models, btw.. the Clint Black model is mine also). It's the DDSM that is photographed outside next to a tree. You can't miss it. Let me know what you think.

Dennis
Old 01-21-2001, 12:48 PM

Beautiful instrument!
Dennis, I sent you a pic of my DDSM's trim so you can compare it to yours.
Is it the same?
Old 01-22-2001, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:
Hey IHS... here's a quiz for ya.. nice pics of your DDSM, by the way. Mine has what appears to be a 3 piece back. I don't see the same trim on the back of yours. Anyone know what the deal is on this? Never noticed it till just now when I looked at your pics.... either way, it's a gorgeous guitar.
Thanks-yours is gorgeous as well. As to the trim, I have no idea why they would be different. Maybe they don't use any on two-piece backs-Jim Grainger's DDSM in the photo gallery is a two piece and doesn't seem to have the trim either. Hmmmm...

------------------
ihs' Gear
Old 02-14-2001, 01:31 PM

Thumbs up

Howdy

I finally got to try out a natural DDSM and WOW... i couldn't believe how great that geetar was!

Very powerful yet tasteful, elegant and easy to handle... that's something that i expect most Taylors to be anyways

Out of all the Signature Models that Taylor has made, i think that the DDSM is the best one yet! And to think that they have made it into a regular production model is something else, eh!

Anyone care to donate it to me? lol just kidding

Blessings
nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification