The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2002, 07:37 AM

I play alot of jazz chord solos on my 815c - because its the only acoustic I have. I'm not sure if its the best Taylor for jazz, but it sure sounds nice to me.

I would like the neck to be a bit wider though.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:03 PM

Taylor used to make a flat top jazz guitar in the late 1980s. It was called their J series. I haven't seen one around in a while, but then there weren't too many of them made as they didn't sell well.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 12-15-2002, 07:24 PM

After trying a NS-32 at the local shop, I ordered the NS-52...specifically so that I can play jazz fingerstyle arrangements at my gigs. I have a heck of a time on my Martin D-35. I'm also hoping that it will record well. I have not heard the NS52, I paid the extra $ (over the NS-32) for the dual-source pickup, the cedar top, & the glossy finish (satin-finish makes a lot of brushing noises when recording). Anyhow, the playability ought to be the same as the 32...and it felt perfect for my style of playing.

Btw, I did read on another forum that classical guitarists are totally unimpressed with the sound of the NS series. That kind of dismayed me.

Won't get my guitar til end of January.

My first post!!
Pat
Old 12-15-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Acoustic Django CLip

Check this out.
Django CLip.
Noticed his crippled left hand and how he compensates for it.

http://www.lobsterfilms.com/lobster/html/loaz04.htm
Old 12-15-2002, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daleyfolk
...I ordered the NS-52.... Btw, I did read on another forum that classical guitarists are totally unimpressed with the sound of the NS series. That kind of dismayed me.
Welcome to the family, Pat! You'll like it here - lots of interesting characters who are both knowledgeable and enthusiastic guitar players, with wide range of backgrounds and interests. You'll certainly add to that with jazz on your new NS-52. Nice guitar!

We've talked some about Taylor's Nylon Series NOT being a traditional guitar - it wasn't meant to be. Uncle Bob and company thought for a long time about building a true classic guitar, but decided they would rather build a nylon string guitar for people coming from a steel string or electric guitar background, a sort of hybrid.

You can play classical music on an NS, but it has a different voice from a "true" classical guitar. I think it works great for jazz, or any time you want the tone of a nylon without necessarily a fine classical. I think you will absolutely fall in love with your NS.

Let us know your first impressions when it comes, and don't be shy about joining in our discussions. You'll make our merry band even merrier!

cotten
Old 12-15-2002, 10:32 PM

OK.....I'm relatively new to the guitar so maybe will get away with asking a probably silly question.

It seems that these nylon string Taylors are made for fingerstyle playing....or at least thats what people usuually would do with them right?

But the possibilities of that nylon string sound interests me.

Anybody flatpick on one of these nylons? All I'm doing right now is learning lots of chords and picking jazz on changes with my 314. I mean thats a lot for now but fingerstyle is not where I am just yet. Soon....

So would this be a gross misuse and abuse of a nylon string guitar or is the set up so completely different that it would be out of the question. I know the neck is wider.

Oh what the heck....I'll post this. Live and learn.

Di
Old 12-16-2002, 10:05 AM
Eric Skye

I’ve played a few of the Taylor NS’s in stores and think they make great fingerstyle and pickstyle jazz guitars, clearly the best of any of the non-classical nylon guitars I’ve personally tried. I’m seriously considering picking one up to play a few of the tunes I did on my CD with my Hill when on the road. The Hill is a very traditional classical guitar that is kind a big adjustment to play right after my 712, and it isn’t always easy so amplify. I’ve tried the Taylor NS’s with both an Ultrasound and Ca. Blonde, sounded great.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:50 AM

Thats all the encouragement I need Eric.

I've got to go to my local guitar store tonight to look for a box to pack my 314 for a flight. (Eeks)....thought I'd try the case within a box of popcorn approach as a challenge to the baggage handlers.

Anyway..... my local shop has one of the NS Taylors there so I'll give it a try for the fun of it. I've got no money but one can always plan for the future!
Old 02-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d28mikeip View Post
While some people do play jazz on a flattop, I don't think it really sounds all that good. Unless you're playing a heavily altered flattop with subdued highs, your guitar is going to be way too trebly to get that *jazzy* fat tone. Archtops are the way to go.

Many people would certainly agree with you and I may see why, because jazz sounds so great with a "dark and fat" tone; but I've been incorporating jazz in my playing quite often these days with my 414CE and love its tone for jazz. Maybe the fact that I use Martin Retro strings and using LR Baggs Anthem, which don't add extra brightness to the tone and help my Taylor achieve, at least for me, MY jazz tone.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 02-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Many people would certainly agree with you and I may see why, because jazz sounds so great with a "dark and fat" tone; but I've been incorporating jazz in my playing quite often these days with my 414CE and love its tone for jazz. Maybe the fact that I use Martin Retro strings and using LR Baggs Anthem, which don't add extra brightness to the tone and help my Taylor achieve, at least for me, MY jazz tone.
Wow! Reviving a 16 year old thread. I bet there have been a few changes to taylor since 2002.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 02-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
Wow! Reviving a 16 year old thread. I bet there have been a few changes to taylor since 2002.
Is this a zombie thread record? Has to be.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Jazz on a Taylor? Why Not Jazz On A Taylor?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Not on a Taylor, per se, but I would do if I played one! I play pretty much ANYTHING I want on my acoustic 6 string, and it works well for all of it... truth be told, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Now, if I were "dedicating" a guitar to playing jazz and standards, I would tend to have it set up like I have my Gibson ES-175... very low action, medium or heavy flat wound strings.

With my acoustics, I like having the action a bit higher than most, so I can go ahead and HIT IT a bit when I want and not have everything buzz or "fret out" when I do. I would not be concerned with that were the guitar used for jazz exclusively.

There are a lot of more complicated chord voicings that I would use in jazz that are a bit of a pain to fret on my acoustic, but are a breeze on my ES-175...

As far as tone goes, once you amplify the thing, you can do anything you want to the tone, so that should not be a concern.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Hey Di B... I can relate to your journey completely (I'm a trumpet player, now focusing on guitar).

If your hands are comfortable playing jazz on your Taylor, why not? Strings are cheap and just 'cause you have a Taylor doesn't mean you're locked into Elixirs. Strings can alter the tone of the guitar significantly. If the action on your 314 is a bit too high for what you want to do, Taylor has a unique system for adjusting string height that doesn't include filing the saddle.

As far as a guitar for jazz? I agree with the comments about the archtop. They have a unique sound, but are far from versatile. Right now you can buy an Epiphone 335 Limited Edition for only $330 !!! http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...tric-Guitar.gc I've got the basic version, the Epiphone Dot and I'll tell you that it can cover rock, jazz, blues, pretty much everything an acoustic can't quite do. Even though it's cheap, these there are a lot of guys that play the Epi 335 professionally. These are on sale right now at GC and all the major stores will price match.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 PM

It goes without saying that many jazz guitarists past & present have used nylon string guitars, but even a respectable number of well known players use steel string flat tops. McLaughlin, Lage, Django, Breau, to name a few. Here's a short thread on the topic from a few years back on the jazz guitar forum (including one of the members on his Taylor: http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...-flat-top.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion