The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 PM

You never really own something like a quality musical instrument, you merely take care of it for awhile then pass it down the line.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
Hey all, I have more guitars than I need or regularly play ( I know this sounds crazy to some...��), but I have been pondering this question for some time. I have a georgous 2013 Taylor 516e FLTD with figured mahogany that sounds heavenly...but, I just don’t play it that much. I seem to play either my Yamaha or my Martin much much more, and I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t move it along to someone else who will play it all the time. I have put it on the market a couple of times in the past year and a half, but chickened out both times and pulled it off the market. Am I crazy for thinking about selling the best guitar I have ever owned, or should I let it go and keep enjoying the guitars I play on a regular basis? It would be nice to restock the old savings account with the proceeds. Looking to the wisdom of the forum...thanks in advance for your thoughts...
It sounds to me like you're saying, "I'm not playing my most expensive guitar, because I enjoy picking on my considerably cheaper models a lot more."? Why do you think that situation might change? Do you think your ears are somehow deceiving you, and maybe you'll come to your senses in the future sometime? Wouldn't your "best guitar" be the one that brings you the most pleasure?

I suspect that you're thinking about the financial hit you'll have to take on selling a five year old used Taylor, compared to what it cost when it was brand new? I also suspect that concern is the main reason why you can find AGF owners with considerable collections of once expensive Taylor guitars listed in their sigs?

Don
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 AM

These 2 statements from your op, are mutually exclusive aren't they?

Quote:
...but, I just don’t play it that much.
Quote:
...the best guitar I've ever owned.
I say sell it.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 AM

I would sell it. It always seems silly to me to have a nice instrument somewhere in the house (under a bed, in a closet?) that I only play when I feel guilty about never playing it. I only keep a handful, so I always trade one in on the next one. There is something inherently wrong about selling a guitar for a kitchen appliance!

But that's me. I love them while they're here and then I love the replacement. I rarely miss them when they're gone (except that old Gibson 175 - should have kept that one).

You have to try and decide how you'll fell when it's gone. I do have instruments that I can't imagine ever selling.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-21-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
Sounds like it's just wall art right now. Best to put the money back in savings for that day when the pipes bust and the insurance doesn't quite cover it.
To think this is one thing. It is nothing short of an outrage to state it publicly.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Smile

I’ve decided. Please check out the classified section if you want to see a great guitar! Thanks everyone for your help.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I had the same dilemma last year.
It involved a superb looking and sounding custom Martin that I configured 9 years ago.
I have not regretted selling it and the buyer who noticed the sale for it here is very pleased.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 AM

I still, on occassion, think about a couple guitars I have sold ('77 guild D50, and my CEO-7). However, I know they are in good hands and being played a lot!
This is just part of the ups and downs of guitar acquisition and loss. There are so many fantastic guitars out there for me to think about; why dwell on one or two that got away?

I say sell it! You never know what guitar is just around the corner!

scott
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 AM

I think I recently posted about my Martin D-18GE, a fine guitar by any standard, but not my favorite player among the others I own. Like you, I think maybe I should sell it. But I know that I'd rue the day, so I keep it.

I did a gig with it last week, and in preparing for it I played it all week ... and fell in love again. It's like that, sometimes.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Do you ever play in open /alternate tunings? It's nice to have a guitar around that just lives in a favorite, say, dadgad, open g, et al. I find that messing around with open tunings gives fresh inspiration, and certain guitars just really sing that way. If the mood takes you, you can just grab that one and explore.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM

About 5 years ago I downsized from 6 to 3 guitars to accommodate a move, and I don't regret it. They weren't anything special or expensive. I needed the space, not the money. But I kept my Martins- like everything else, good guitars aren't getting any cheaper. And now I'm back up to 5 guitars..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion