The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Default Which Waterloo?

I'm gassing for a 12-fret Waterloo! Help me by comparing the WL-K and the WL-S. Ladder bracing vs X, 3 1/2" vs 4 1/4" body depth, paddle vs slot headstocks? Finally, cherry vs mahogany back and sides?

There are a lot of differences between the two small guitars and no where near for me to compare them. Help me decide.

Last edited by Nctom; 02-20-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

The WL-K has a warm mahogany sound, pleasing bass response, and is extremely lightly built... Waterloo recommends staying at 11s or lighter.

The WL-S is a little different, a more complex sound overall, with an interesting projection. The sound seems to float in front of the guitar a foot or two... really sets it apart from the rest of the Waterloo line.

We prefer the WL-S (and of course the Deluxe version) overall, but they're both great. I think if you really dig in with a pick or fingers, the WL-S has a little more headroom, but if you're a light strummer, you'll probably really dig the WL-K.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I can't compare but I have recently acquired a wl-k and I am in love with the mid-range and clarity. Allot better than my old Gibson L-1. No low end thump like the Gibson more E string ring if you want it. I plan on getting a wl-s deluxe and a wl-12 also. Just as soon as I want some variations in tone/sound. This guitar has been a revelation to me as for my likes and dislikes in what I want in a guitar sound. For those country blues it's as perfect as you are ever going to find.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
The WL-K has a warm mahogany sound, pleasing bass response, and is extremely lightly built... Waterloo recommends staying at 11s or lighter.

The WL-S is a little different, a more complex sound overall, with an interesting projection. The sound seems to float in front of the guitar a foot or two... really sets it apart from the rest of the Waterloo line.

We prefer the WL-S (and of course the Deluxe version) overall, but they're both great. I think if you really dig in with a pick or fingers, the WL-S has a little more headroom, but if you're a light strummer, you'll probably really dig the WL-K.
Which models have the least pronounced v profile? I'm used to a J-45 and Martin's modified low oval? You have a good inventory there too!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Which models have the least pronounced v profile?
The WL12 and WL12Mh don't have any V at all.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
The WL12 and WL12Mh don't have any V at all.
Thanks Willie.

I see its about the same size as my Seagull Folk which I prefer over 00. The WL-12 is 4.25 depth compared to my folk's 4.5 which I can live with too.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 02-20-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking of getting a wl-12 or wl-k but prefer a slim/low profile neck. Which one would be best? May even consider a wl-14x small neck (or whatever it's called)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM

AMW always has a nice selection, being that they're one of the top Waterloo/Collings dealers in the country. I too have a WL-S Deluxe, with cherry back and sides. It's a monster and the lightest guitar I own. For a ladder braced git box, it's very unlike most ladder braced guitars I've played. As said by AMW, the sound jumps out 2 feet in front of the guitar, to where you can really hear it.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Martin View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking of getting a wl-12 or wl-k but prefer a slim/low profile neck. Which one would be best? May even consider a wl-14x small neck (or whatever it's called)
The WL-K and both of the WL12s have the "moderate oval shape" neck. It's beefier than a Martin MLO or a Gibson slim taper, but it's certainly no baseball bat. For me, there was zero acclimation period when I bought my WL12, and I switch between it and my Gibson LG2 without even thinking about it.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I bet the Scissortail sounds great, but the V profile kills it for me. I've played a Washburn parlor with a V neck and had nightmares for weeks, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 PM

LOL, I don't know how the Washburn V neck compare to the Waterloo V necks but on the Waterloos that I own, they are soft Vs compared to my vintage Gibsons, Barry. I guess my fingers are somewhat longer than I thought.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Not common knowledge just yet, but every Waterloo can now be ordered with the low-oval profile that is standard on the WL-12 and WL-K. This is a new-ish development, so over the course of this year you'll be seeing many more "small neck" versions at dealers.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
Not common knowledge just yet, but every Waterloo can now be ordered with the low-oval profile that is standard on the WL-12 and WL-K.
Uh-oh. This is going to cause trouble in my world.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM

I've played a number of Waterloos, although it has been awhile. Really wanted one. Nice guitars, but each one had something about it I just didn't like -- neck, sound (each model is very different), etc. At their price, that's saying a lot because I'll compromise in a lot of ways at a reasonable price. I'm kind of a one or two guitar guy, so I think that has something to do with my opinion. I can see a number of them filling a niche withing a stable of guitars.

The point to that is that I really think one has to play a Waterloo to find something they like for the long-haul.

Again, they are great guitars and the reasonable price makes them a tremendous deal. Just make sure you know what you are getting or make sure you have a reasonable return period. Personally, when something is just not available locally, I don't mind paying shipping both ways to try out a guitar I think I like. You are going to take a much bigger hit if you decide later you want something different. Used is even better because you can likely sell it for about what you paid.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM

I currently own three and have another on the way right now, (in March) I believe the very thing that Hoyt just said. Know what you're getting and what sound you're truly after. I personally love the whole Waterloo line, but can't own them all. The Scissortail is a nice guitar for solo work or for someone that wants more pronounced notes to come through, being maple back and sides. The WL14-X is the best all round guitar of the bunch for it's X bracing and great balance, this is why I own two, a black and a sunburst version. The sunburst was my first and it was bought used from Artisan in 2015 for, I think $1600. A steal of a deal for a 2014 "first run" guitar. I loved it so much that I wanted the black version so later in early 2016 I bought it. Then I bought the WL-S Deluxe, which turns out to be my favorite of the the three. I never thought a ladder braced, 12 fret guitar would get this much playing time but there it is. It weighs almost nothing and can be played endlessly. I have this one on order now and it's a WL-14L with ladder bracing and a tortoise shell pick guard. Also will have a truss rod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion