The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Default strings for mcpherson

I have on loan for a short period a McPherson 3.5 with Adirondack spruce top and flamed black acacia back and sides. It hasn't been played a lot (it has been left to a friend) and has some very dead D'Addario strings. I have been asked to restring it for the owner and am thinking of putting on the Elixir Light 12-53 I normally use on my Taylor because it does feel a bit stiff to play at the moment. Any views on whether the strings would suit as the makers seem to recommend 13 guage?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

John Pearse New Mediums or Newtone Masterclass PR mediums would be worth a try. The JP's are about 1/2 the cost.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 AM

I've had 3 mcphersons and really wrestled with the "string gauge" question. I've settled on light gauge (12-53) elixir pb nanowebs on my current one (Granadillo/Sitka). The guitar is built to have such good tone that I just don't feel like it "needs" the thicker strings to beef anything up. When I had mediums on it, it just seemed like they weren't necessary. I also think the 12's brought some more lightness and life to the high end.

I tried the same thing on my previous mcpherson (Coco/redwood) and came to the opposite conclusion-- it really needed the mediums...

Personally, I think elixirs are the only way to go...

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@hatherton View Post
I have on loan for a short period a McPherson 3.5 with Adirondack spruce top and flamed black acacia back and sides. It hasn't been played a lot (it has been left to a friend) and has some very dead D'Addario strings. I have been asked to restring it for the owner and am thinking of putting on the Elixir Light 12-53 I normally use on my Taylor because it does feel a bit stiff to play at the moment. Any views on whether the strings would suit as the makers seem to recommend 13 guage?
All McPhersons are strung up at the factory with Elixir Nano Mediums and an extra set is always included in the case along with the high and low extra saddles. I've never played one that felt "stiff" with this string combination, in fact, I get the sense that they are voiced for this specific string set. You can try the lights...my feeling is that the playability and volume can be affected adversely.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@hatherton View Post
Hi Rob...
The setup is what is going to determine if it plays stiff or not.

If you are not going to invest $80-100 in a good setup (since it's on loan), then light strings would be more than adequate to drive the top, and it will not affect the tone in a negative way. And the Elixir light Nano Phosphor Bronze usually sound good on the McPhersons.

I've played them setup and strung both ways, and as an avid string bender, I get along much better with light (.012) than medium (.013).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Strings (except for Elixirs ) are cheap relative to the price of a guitar..and have a huge affect on how it sounds. .
Buy a bunch and try them out.
Personally, I hate Elixirs.
Don't like the feel...tone is lifeless.
I'd say sample D'Addario, John Pearse, DR's, Martin's, Newtone...to name a few.

I suspect if McPherson recommended 13 gauge strings, then they must feel that is what is needed to get the best tone from their guitars.
String gauge does make a difference in how a guitar sounds...hence, the different offerings.

(FWIW, what woods the guitar is made out of are irrelevent to what brand of strings to try. Each person is different in what they hear...what they like to hear.
Each guitar...even "identical guitars", different in how they respond. Hence...try different brands.)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 12-10-2011 at 01:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
mcpherson, strings