The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2000, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Question Taylor 710 vs. 714 (please help!)

Hello all- I can't find much in the way of Taylors here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I played a 410 that was very nice, but my price range allows for a 710. The 700 series seems that it would be perfect for me, judging by reviews I've read and the general feel of the Taylor Dreadnaught. But, I am curious about the Grand Auditorium style. I cannot find anything close to test, so I was hoping someone could compare the two (710/714) for me.
Old 10-27-2000, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Talking

P.S.- I don't really do any fingerpicking- mostly heavy pickin'/strumming (Dave Matthews/Richie Havens)

How much bigger is the neck on the 714?
Thanks again
Old 10-27-2000, 03:28 PM

Since you do heavy strumming, I'd recommend a dread over a GA. The dreads are braced heavier so they can handle heavy strumming without the top overloading better than a GA. I'd also consider a different series other than the 700. While I love my cedar top 714ce, cedar cannot be driven quite as hard as a spruce top.

My favorite Taylor for heavy strumming is a 615CE. There's something about maple jumbos that I love for rock 'n' roll strumming stuff. The maple allows it to cut through the mix of other instruments while keeping the larger cavity from being too bass heavy while still providing a ton of power and clarity for those heavy strumming songs.
Old 10-27-2000, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Thanks for your input. I have heard that the spruce tops are much better, and it is my understanding that pre 97 710 models came with spruce tops. Now you have to buy the 810 to get that, and they have put cedar tops on the 710. So I think I'm looking towards a pre 97 710.

Ryan
Old 10-27-2000, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaidaGwaii:
it is my understanding that pre 97 710 models came with spruce tops... So I think I'm looking towards a pre 97 710.

Ryan
1997 was the last year for Spruce/Rosewood 710s. I know because I have one. I think that was the year they made special run of cedar 710/714s and they were so popular they switched to cedar for the 700, dropping the 750 in the process.

The staining can make it hard to tell but Taylor keeps a pedigree on every guitar and can tell you its exact makeup.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 10-29-2000, 11:53 PM
Eric Skye

The 700 series is really a wonderful group of guitars, very under-rated. I love the simple black binding. I have the Ceder top 714. I love the wider neck and dreadnought dimensions ( save the boomyness ) of the 14?s for a nice full sounding fingerstyle guitar. My 712 is a Sitka topped guitar from 95?. The most comfortable guitar to play I can imagine. It?s a bit small sounding but very very responsive. It?s the only guitar I?ll ever gig with. The narrower waist of the 12?s and 14?s really make a big difference in comfort when seated, and in treble response. When it came time to get a dread I wanted a little of both and was excited to find you can get a 2000 ( new neck joint, big plus ) with a Sitka top for no extra cost. You can also get a 1 3/4 neck for not too much extra dough. It?s the classic recipe of Rose/Sitka, without the over the top white binding and ?progressive diamond? inlays.
________
NEXIUM SETTLEMENTS

Last edited by min7b5; 09-03-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2000, 03:02 PM

I am new to this forum, but I could resists to respond. I can't provide a comparison but I will give you my thoughts anyway.

I just purchased a 714-CE in August. I found a custom version (spruce top) with a K&K pick-up system (under bridge transducers & goose neck mounted mic) at one of the local shops. I had been looking at Taylors for some time and after playing this 714 and and 814, I laid down the money for the 714. I LOVE IT!

I have been playing a Takemine Jumbo 12-string for years and have always like the sound of the larger bodies. I orginally was looking toward an '15' model but was having very little success in finding any in the local shops. After spending the time playing the 714, it was all it took.

I prefer the sound of the spruce (a purely personal preference) so the connection on this custom model was great for me.

Old 11-03-2000, 06:34 PM
Jim

GM, Is your 714CE a custom version, or a older one that someone added to? 700 series used to come with sitka spruce tops. Also that pickup system sounds like an aftermarket add-on. I'm sure it sounds great, but I was wondering which it was.
Old 11-04-2000, 10:34 PM

Jim,

My 714 is a 2000 with a spruce top, black binding, and was shipped from the factory with just the cut-a-way. The K&K system was added by the shop where I purchased it. As the story went, it was ordered by a customer who later changed his mind.

After many years of wanting to buy another guitar and finding this one, Ah! life is good!!!
Old 11-11-2000, 01:46 AM
EDC

Cool

I own a 714BCE and must say that this is the guitar that spoke to me. I have played many different guitars, spruce tops included. I prefer the warmer sound of Cedar. I prefer James Taylor, Eric Clapton blues, Steve Howe (acoustic ie. Mood for a Day, The clap etc..). My recommendation.. Play before you buy.. I thought I wanted an 810.. really liked a 514 and then I stumbled onto my 714. who'da thunk it? Good luck on whatever you decide. Let your own ears be the judge.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 PM

Played a mint condition 1998 710 (cedar top) today at Gryphon.

Wonderful sounding guitar that plays effortlessly! It’s a steal at $1,195.00.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 AM

I played a 97 514ce for years. cedar/hog .
Like stated above the cedar choked when driven
hard.
I have my eyes on a 712ce . You might want
to consider lutz spruce . A sitka/white spruce hybrid.
They compare it to a blend between red spruce
and sitka tone wise.. Red spruce (adirondack) Is preferred
By bluegrass players because it doesn't fold when driven
hard. This little 712ce 12 fret i played was exceptional
for its GC size . I think it would hold its own in a BG jam.
But it is slightly smaller than a GA.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Did anyone else notice that this must be the ultimate zombie thread?

Just sayin'...
Old 08-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Did anyone else notice that this must be the ultimate zombie thread?

Just sayin'...
Seventeen years, nine months, and 11 days.

I wonder if Taylors are still hard to come by in Nova Scotia...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 AM

ha that's funny. i wonder what he bought..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification