The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Default Seagull Entourage Rustic

I constantly find myself impressed by this guitar. I won it in a competition about a year ago and I'm glad I did because I don't think it woud be on my radar other wise. Anyone looking at a cheap dred should definitely consider this instrument.

Do any of you guys own one? Or have you had similar experiences with Seagull? I feel like they blow competitors out of the water.

Here's a little video of it I put together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlCHZrn8wwU
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Seagulls including the Entourage offerings are impressive guitars.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Thumbs up Lots of Seagull love here...

I am very impressed with Seagulls, and am very close to picking one up as my first guitar. I keep going back and forth between the Entourage Rustic and traditional S6. The only thing stopping me from picking either one is that I seem to be having trouble playing dreads in general, so I'm now auditioning the Entourage Mini Jumbo as well.

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM

Nice win. You'll find a bit of 'Gull love here.

Jerry
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM

I find the mini jumbo MUCH more comfortable than the dreadnought. The appearance wouldn't indicate this but the narrower waste and the shallower body make it more comfortable to me. Give it a try. I think you will agree. Besides dreadnoughts are boring to look at.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

My wife tells me it's funny for her to watch my evolution in guitar playing over the last 7 months. The S6 in my sig was my first guitar... a total noob at the age of 41. And I really enjoyed the thing for a while... when I first brought it home last August and through 4 months of lessons.

As time went on however, and I began to get better and better, and then got to sample other guitars, I started to notice things that bothered me... the 1.8" nut and chunky neck past the 7th fret, the weight balance (a tad neck heavy), the fact that it slides on my leg under heavy strumming, and that 'laminate' tone. And the dreadnought shape was not helping my bad right shoulder any.

I'm one of those detail oriented people that can pick out nuances in everything. And when I started sampling the all solid wood Martins, and especially that Performance Artist neck, the limitations of my S6 became clearer and I wanted something more. I think the S6 is an 'okay' guitar, but not a great guitar. And I play my particular Martin way better as well.

I've played the Mini Jumbo and didn't like the sound at all. Not even a little. The S6 blows it away. But if I were doing it all over and had known what I know now, 7 months into my journey, I would without question choose an all solid wood Eastman in the $550-$650 range before Seagull.

One man's opinion.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Great video - and then I saw this one. So what was used to record? The Seagull sounds very good.

Romans 5:6-8
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

That is a fine guitar. I have liked Seagulls for decades... my favorites are the Entourage Rustic and the S6 Slim. I think you'll find Seagulls get a lot of respect around here. Great guitars for the money.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Yeah....dreadnoughts simply bore my socks off.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
, I would without question choose an all solid wood Eastman in the $550-$650 range before Seagull.
Or a solid wood Seagull. Delighted with the '99 S-6 in my sig.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by naolslager View Post
I find the mini jumbo MUCH more comfortable than the dreadnought. The appearance wouldn't indicate this but the narrower waste and the shallower body make it more comfortable to me. Give it a try. I think you will agree.
Couldn't agree more. I ignored the Entourage Mini Jumbo for quite a while simply because I thought there was no way that it would fit me. But, after trying it, the narrower waist makes all the difference...it hits my leg in a better spot and sits in the lap much better than a dread.

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM

As a guy who has a both a "Performing Artist" Martin and a Seagull dreadnought, I have to agree that with you they do play differently. The string spacing is exactly the same on both guitars (2 3/16 @ bridge) but the nut is wider on the Gull by a little bit outside of both E strings and the neck is definitely "chunkier", so the actual playing experience is different, bu not radically so, IMHO. I usually carry both my Martin and my Seagull with me to performance so that I can keep one in alternate tuning and not have to waste time on stage. Switching back and forth between them hasn't presented me with many problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
My wife tells me it's funny for her to watch my evolution in guitar playing over the last 7 months. The S6 in my sig was my first guitar... a total noob at the age of 41. And I really enjoyed the thing for a while... when I first brought it home last August and through 4 months of lessons.

As time went on however, and I began to get better and better, and then got to sample other guitars, I started to notice things that bothered me... the 1.8" nut and chunky neck past the 7th fret, the weight balance (a tad neck heavy), the fact that it slides on my leg under heavy strumming, and that 'laminate' tone. And the dreadnought shape was not helping my bad right shoulder any.

I'm one of those detail oriented people that can pick out nuances in everything. And when I started sampling the all solid wood Martins, and especially that Performance Artist neck, the limitations of my S6 became clearer and I wanted something more. I think the S6 is an 'okay' guitar, but not a great guitar. And I play my particular Martin way better as well.

I've played the Mini Jumbo and didn't like the sound at all. Not even a little. The S6 blows it away. But if I were doing it all over and had known what I know now, 7 months into my journey, I would without question choose an all solid wood Eastman in the $550-$650 range before Seagull.

One man's opinion.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Or a solid wood Seagull. Delighted with the '99 S-6 in my sig.
Perhaps. I just have never ever seen one or had the chance to play one in the shops I've visited. The GC and SAs in the NYC metro area mostly stock the S6 and Entourage MJ.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
As a guy who has a both a "Performing Artist" Martin and a Seagull dreadnought, I have to agree that with you they do play differently. The string spacing is exactly the same on both guitars (2 3/16 @ bridge) but the nut is wider on the Gull by a little bit outside of both E strings and the neck is definitely "chunkier", so the actual playing experience is different, bu not radically so, IMHO. I usually carry both my Martin and my Seagull with me to performance so that I can keep one in alternate tuning and not have to waste time on stage. Switching back and forth between them hasn't presented me with many problems.
What's funny is that I am starting to get into fingerstyle a little now (very rudimentary still) and the S6 sounds way better as a fingerstyle guitar than a strummer. Who knows, maybe I'll keep the thing after all...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Heh heh ... Parlours to Jumbos ... got to believe that a Martin decked out like that is going to be attractive no matter what the body size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
Yeah....dreadnoughts simply bore my socks off.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion