The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM

IMO any fully carved archtop, with a spruce top and maple back and sides, and a good floating PU, will get you a long way toward that sound. So yes, that is approximately what an Eastman 810 CE would sound like.

But differences? Wow, so very hard to say. Differences between individual guitars, let alone between brands and models, are inconsistent, and hard to describe. I would even say that no matter how different your first impression of an Eastman might be, careful string choice, setup, and technique adjustments will get you closer to that sound than most people would be able to hear. But you, the player, will still be able to hear and feel a difference.

It won't sound the same. That guitar was hand built for me by one of the best makers around, and we talked about that sound for months before and during the build. We called it "the guitar that John D'Angelico would of built for Johnny Smith in 1960, but with a modern design of Jimmy D'Aquisto plus Bryant Trenier!" A mouthful, but I think the guitar is very true to our ideal. Eastman guitars are influenced by Benedetto, who is more influenced by D'Angelico and D'Aquisto than he usually lets on, so you're in the ballbark.

But still... different guitars.

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops