The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 AM

Sounds great, noman. I'm fascinated by your versatility.

It would amazing to see you on YouTube...
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
noman dude, you have the twang series goin' full blast on this...I LOVE IT! You know how to capture this vibe so authentically, the guitar is amazing man and I really think your real identity is Hank Marvin! I really dig Hank Marvin, he is one of my favs & a joy to watch play...I know you have Apache in your setlist bro...hint hint!
This is a musical idea that evolved over time. There were so many ideas that went into this... some research.

I tried different picks and found that a thicker gauge gave me the proper lead tone and twang.

I also had to learn how to use a tremolo bar. I just took it slowly.

I used Guitar Pro to make the backing track. Here I was in the strange zone because I'm not use to creating drum tracks. But surf music is more forgiving than other genres. Though the drum pattern was robotic, it served the purpose.

Then I needed a lead guitar. I couldn't afford a Mosrite, so instead I looked at contemporary surf artists and I discovered Los Straitjackets. I loved their sound and that's when I discovered their signature guitar sold by Dipinto. I listened to samples on-line. I decided to order it. This guitar is highly versatile with its 4 single coils and 4 switches to supply any on-off pickup configuration you want.

I also listened closely to the vintage recording and when I created my version, I made sure that the bass was low and I also replicated the instrument placement in the stereo channels. Those were still the days of monaural recordings. For a while, both monoaural and stereo versions were simultaneously sold.

Anyway, my main goal was to hype up the song a bit. I saw lots of power in it.

noman

Undefined People Music Site

Last edited by noman; 03-13-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
I love it, Noman! I knew this song so well growing up. It was my dad's favorite album. He used to blast it on our stereo at unspeakable volumes!

I grew up playing drums to that album. Great tune… thanks for the memories!
Hey, kerbie! My Dad had one of those old huge stereo consoles from the early 60s. He use to play his Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Platters and more on that. But when I had the house to myself, I would play other stuff. As a kid I had no money, so I didn't always buy the music I liked, just the music I could afford.

So my first album cost 50 cents. It was The Dave Clark Five. It was before they hit our shores. The songs were primitive by today's standards, but at least I started to form ideas about music.

Of course, my eyeballs didn't pop out till I played Jimi Hendrix's debut album for the first time...

Are you experienced?

I am not worthy!

noman

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 PM

WOW!!

Great rendition of a song that means a lot to me.

When I started taking lessons with my first guitar back in 1963, THAT was the song I told my instructor I wanted to learn to play!!

Thanks!!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Very well done!! I remember this song very well from those hey days of the Ventures! Very cool vintage sound!
I remember you saying that you played bass in a band that covered many Venture tunes. When I think back to the bands of the early 60s, I only remember seeing Fender back then... both amps and guitars.

I would say that it was a unique experience for anyone who witnessed American music before the "British Invasion".

noman

Old 03-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Great job with "Walk Don't Run"...It was my first song (other than "twilight Zone" that is)...The Ventures were my heros...I wore out their records learning how to play like they did...thanks for that. Still a big fan of "Surf" music.
Thanks, Don! Are you referring to "Out of Limits"? That's another classic that I would like to do. There's a lot going on with that song.

There was no way I could own all their albums, but like you, I wore out the ones I had. I was into Gary Lewis and the Playboys also.

Music was exploding like crazy during the sixties. I still remember having the transistor radio up against my head at night so I could check out the latest hits. The DJs were people like Cousin Brucie and Dan ingram.

noman

Old 03-14-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
Thanks, Don! Are you referring to "Out of Limits"? That's another classic that I would like to do. There's a lot going on with that song.

There was no way I could own all their albums, but like you, I wore out the ones I had. I was into Gary Lewis and the Playboys also.

Music was exploding like crazy during the sixties. I still remember having the transistor radio up against my head at night so I could check out the latest hits. The DJs were people like Cousin Brucie and Dan ingram.

noman
Yes "Out of Limits"...and my other all time favorite was "Sleepwalk". I used to play a Jazzmaster in those days...I'm saving now to replace that Jazzmaster with a reissue or vintage (sold that one for $200...I'm still crying over that). Love that sound. The Ventures were my first teachers...and The Beatles.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
noman dude, you have the twang series goin' full blast on this...I LOVE IT! You know how to capture this vibe so authentically, the guitar is amazing man and I really think your real identity is Hank Marvin! I really dig Hank Marvin, he is one of my favs & a joy to watch play...I know you have Apache in your setlist bro...hint hint!
Bro, I've been listening to some Hank Marvin tunes. I was watching some videos on how he creates his unique signature sound. The one thing to keep in mind is that he has many signature tones. I also noted that he is always in contact with the tremolo bar as he plays. That would take some getting use to.

noman

Old 03-14-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Yes "Out of Limits"...and my other all time favorite was "Sleepwalk". I used to play a Jazzmaster in those days...I'm saving now to replace that Jazzmaster with a reissue or vintage (sold that one for $200...I'm still crying over that). Love that sound. The Ventures were my first teachers...and The Beatles.
Yeah, I know what you mean about loss. To this day, I still miss my 1932 Martin 0-18K. It was the best blues guitar I ever played.

I have a cheap knock-off "Jazzmaster" in the other room. The complete turnoff was a buzzing sound in the bridge. The main thing in my favor is that I have no problem tearing out what I don't like and redoing everything. Yep, the saying around here is "every dog has his day"!

noman

Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
We are lucky that folks like Dick Dale continue to tour. Great job capturing the American guitar sound. I was a huge Ventures fan too...nothing like the bygone days of vinyl.
Dick Dale's the man. Leo Fender actually improved the design of his amps because of him. I've never seen Dick Dale Live, but I would be hit by a Wall of Sound.

noman

Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Ryder View Post
Twangs the Thang! have a fangin wangin summer wipeout! i was a big shadows fan when starting out GREAT JOB!
I'm so glad that you and Noledog have brought up the Shadows. I'm doing some research on that right now.

Rusty, thanks for checking out this tune!

noman

Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
nice... great tune, great version
I have been teaching this song to my students for over 20 years now, great way to move up and down the neck when learning barr chords.
nice verb on that melody line and nice guitar too btw
Thanks, Dale!

This song is great for learning how to shape notes.

The verb I got from a preset on Line6's Guitar port. I just got real lucky on that one. For a while I just practiced the lead against the backing track I made.

If you have any suggestions for tunes, please let me know.

noman

Old 03-15-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Boy, did that bring back a bunch of memories!!! Great song, lots of fun to play... interesting with the overdriven guitar, too!

I like that you did the original, as opposed to "Walk, Don't Run '65", which had a decidedly more "surf-y" feel to it... leastwise, I think you did the original one, been a long time.

The Ventures were really, really good... there was an abundance of Surf Music bands, back in Southern California when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's. A lot of them were very good, but the Ventures were always looked upon as the Granddaddy of them all...

Now, if you could do Apache, Surfbeat, Mr. Moto... I think you'd really have something going on!

Thanks for posting this...
Yep, this would be based on the original!

Most people don't know this, but this song was originally composed by the great Jazz Guitarist, Johnny Smith. Here's the original:

Sounds like you witnessed the heyday of the Surf Scene. I'll try to select some more tunes for the future. Right now I'm gearing up.

noman

Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Big fun! And, you did a great job with it. Apparently, there are a lot of us who grew up with that sound... and still play.

Jim
Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dave View Post
Great fun listening. Very nice job. Thanks much for sharing it.
Thanks for listening, Dave. My pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Noman, great rendition... what were you using for the drum track?

About a year ago I started to get a hankerin' for an electric guitar, and it was Surf that got me motivated... driving, compelling music... people love to hear it mixed in an acoustic set.

I haven't bought the electric guitar yet, just a Fender Mustang I amp for some effects and practice with my acoustic guitars... really having fun with it. Even though not the preferred guitar for Surf, I'm going with a Tele... I'll use it for much more than just Surf.
Hey, Bill! I was using Guitar Pro. It doesn't have the most realistic drumming, but for surf music, just build a wall of sound over it and add reverb.

A tele will do fine for surf. It's basically just a very twangy single coil sound. I'm using a MXR 10-band EQ pedal and also a Boss '63 Fender Reverb FRV-1 Pedal. Most of the multi-effects units have presets that go well with surf. That's where I found the reverb for Walk, Don't Run. I'm also experimenting with delay. Lots to learn, but all that fine tweaking will give you an approximate sound. I would say start from scratch with each song. That way you are always choosing what is optimal as opposed to a preset.

Anyway, it's lots of fun. Great change of pace for me.

noman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell