The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-01-2016, 01:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Wood Knot's Custom Shop build thread...

Hello All...

My name is Joel, and I'd like to introduce myself properly to this community, and share with you folks a little bit about the woodworking shop that I've been building, and my journey towards building guitars.

I've been a woodworker and craftsman (hobbyist) for as long as I can remember. I graduated from The University of Alabama in 1993, and worked in the printing industry until 3 years ago, when I transitioned (due to layoffs) from a hobbyist into a full time woodworker/craftsman. This transition has gone from being quite unnerving, to bringing very pleasant results.

I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama, in a small community on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay, called Fairhope. The humidity level is quite high, year round, so I began building a woodworking shop three years ago so that I could have an environmentally-controlled space to work inside of. I've travelled from Long Beach, Mississippi to Atlanta, Georgia to source building materials and woodworking equipment for as low as 20 cents on the dollar. Unbelievably, due to patience, diligent sourcing, and building as I could afford, I now have a 1400 square foot, two-story, three-room structure that, not only is paid for, but has only cost me $15,000.

The best part to me, though, is that I built a room specifically for the purpose of building guitars...which is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I met Steve Sheriff (TheEdwinson) a couple of years ago, and he has truly been an inspiration to me, inviting me into his shop, and teaching me processes and procedures involved in guitar making...not to mention, helping me stay focused on the end result, when I've gotten frustrated with the time that it's taken to build my shop. Now that I can see the finish line (or actually the starting line), I'd like to share some pictures with you folks to show you the build process of my shop space... Literally a "Custom Shop" thread on the Custom Shop Forum.

JR...if you find that this thread isn't appropriate for this board, please move it wherever you feel is appropriate.

Here's a couple of current shots...but the intention of this thread is to offer a pictorial history of the build process...which I will do as I have time.

I hope you folks enjoy this,
Joel Teel

This is before I added the deck for upstairs access...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Joel,

Congrats on your endeavor. What a great story and I am happy for you. Of course it would be hard to find a mentor as kind and generous as Steve Sheriff.

Now correct me if I am wrong, I feel like I have seen your workshop in progress before. If I recall, it was to do with the type of joints you used for the overhang by the entry. Am I crazy or not?

Best of luck, it looks great!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the beginning of your ongoing journey, Joel! Looking forward to seeing your continuing and future contributions here on the AGF. Good luck and enjoy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-01-2016, 02:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Joel that looks wonderful! How about some inside shots.
At least it's cheaper to lower humidity than to raise it.

Enjoy!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-01-2016, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, That looks like a sweet shop.

Are you going to put a graspable handrail on the stair and close in the risers?

Sorry, not trying to be cute just can't help myself sine I am a Building Inspector.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 PM

Nice toolbox! Hope to see the inside soon...
Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Joel,

Congrats on your endeavor. What a great story and I am happy for you. Of course it would be hard to find a mentor as kind and generous as Steve Sheriff.

Now correct me if I am wrong, I feel like I have seen your workshop in progress before. If I recall, it was to do with the type of joints you used for the overhang by the entry. Am I crazy or not?

Best of luck, it looks great!!!
Thanks Tom...you are correct about, both Steve, and seeing pictures of the corbels. I posted a few shots in the "What else do you build" thread.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 04-01-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats on the beginning of your ongoing journey, Joel! Looking forward to seeing your continuing and future contributions here on the AGF. Good luck and enjoy!
Nemoman...it's the wonderful contributions of so many on this forum that keep me coming back...there are so many fantastic craftsmen who are creating amazing instruments here.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Joel that looks wonderful! How about some inside shots.
At least it's cheaper to lower humidity than to raise it.

Enjoy!
Thank you Mark...but I must say that the guitars that I've been able to watch you, and many others around here, create, are beyond wonderful. I'll try to get a few inside shots and post them...but at this point, everything is pushed into the big room, while I finish the ceiling and lights in the smaller room. Once I complete that, then I'll start setting up shop and organizing the equipment.

I just installed an 18000 BTU ductless mini-split heating/cooling system, so I now have control over the internal environment.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-01-2016, 10:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Goodman View Post
Wow, That looks like a sweet shop.

Are you going to put a graspable handrail on the stair and close in the risers?

Sorry, not trying to be cute just can't help myself sine I am a Building Inspector.
C'mon Brad...there's a 50 dollar bill in it for you if you just look the other way...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Nice toolbox! Hope to see the inside soon...
Thanks Louie...that makes two of us.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

Hey Joel, I was lucky enough to have dinner with you, Steve, Doodahdoug and his wife at BB's in Memphis. As I recall, you were even nicer than how your shop looks! Congratulations on a superb project. Can't wait to see more.

Dan
Old 04-02-2016, 05:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
C'mon Brad...there's a 50 dollar bill in it for you if you just look the other way...
Oy! I guess I asked for that.

But seriously (building codes aside) it is a good thing as we get older and for little ones to have the graspable rail. It's all about safety.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Hey Joel, I was lucky enough to have dinner with you, Steve, Doodahdoug and his wife at BB's in Memphis. As I recall, you were even nicer than how your shop looks! Congratulations on a superb project. Can't wait to see more.

Dan
Hello Dan...thanks for the kind words. Actually, that would have been Tim Shaffer that you met with Steve in Memphis (but I promise this is my shop). Tim lives in Birmingham, and Steve guided him through his first guitar build. I met him the first time that I visited with Steve in his shop, and you are absolutely correct...Tim is a super nice fellow. I will be attending the next Memphis show, though, and would enjoy meeting you and the others who make this such a fantastic place.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-02-2016, 08:16 AM

Very cool shop. Congratulations. I could probably live in such a space...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop