The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Default RainSong neck question

Is the NS neck on the Shorty the same as the original 6 string neck, other than it being a 12 fret? RS's website doesn't say. While I don't mind the N2 neck on my WS, I would prefer a less beefy/slimmer neck on my next RS, which may be a Shorty. FWIW, I would love to see RS offer a slim neck option like CA does.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM

No. It's not the original slim neck. That's why I don't have a Shorty.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Hi Sonicland.

The new NS neck is in fact a shorter version of the hugely popular N2 neck with adjustable truss rod. While some folks like Ed, prefer the slightly lower profile N1 neck, most folks find the new N2 neck more comfortable, so it has been outselling the N1 by a good margin. Choosing the N2 shape for the new 12-Fret was what we in the business call a no brainer.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Sonicland.

The new NS neck is in fact a shorter version of the hugely popular N2 neck with adjustable truss rod. While some folks like Ed, prefer the slightly lower profile N1 neck, most folks find the new N2 neck more comfortable, so it has been outselling the N1 by a good margin. Choosing the N2 shape for the new 12-Fret was what we in the business call a no brainer.
N2 outsells the N1 cause it is the only neck with a truss rod! We call that the truth? Lol. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
N2 outsells the N1 cause it is the only neck with a truss rod! We call that the truth? Lol. Steve
Bit confused by your "We call that the truth?" question Steve but FYI the N2 neck outsells the N1 because of the feel not the truss rod, at least in my experience.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:47 PM

"The neck design is based on a modified "U" profile that has been popular in guitars since the 1950s." From Rainsongs web page

It just is odd to me that Rainsong goes back to the 50s for this. Taylor built a guitar company on perfecting a modern thinner profile. Many including Martin had to respond. I am sure that many find a fuller neck to their liking, but without a truss rod, the thinner N1 profile will not have a chance. And it not just the thickness it's the fuller 50's profile. One Rainsong fan on a tube review said the only comparison he could come up with was 1958 Gibson Les Paul.

Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 12-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
"The neck design is based on a modified "U" profile that has been popular in guitars since the 1950s." From Rainsongs web page

It just is odd to me that Rainsong goes back to the 50s for this. Taylor built a guitar company on perfecting a modern thinner profile. Many including Martin had to respond. I am sure that many find a fuller neck to their liking, but without a truss rod, the thinner N1 profile will not have a chance. And it not just the thickness it's the fuller 50's profile. One Rainsong fan on a tube review said the only comparison he could come up with was 1958 Gibson Les Paul.

Steve
Steve, I've owned a number of 50's Les Pauls and the neck on these guitars is nothing like the Rainsong N2 neck, I think this "Rainsong fan" was just using a comparison between the 50' and 60's Gibson neck shapes which I have used in the past as well. In any event there is nothing wrong with going back to the 50's, pretty sure the human hand hasn't change since the 50's. In fact I do quite well with pre war style acoustics built by Martin, Gibson and their clones, seem lots of folks like the feel of older guitars just fine. Heck, even Taylor increased the thickness of their necks in recent years per popular demand.

We stock more Rainsongs than any other store on the planet and based on the last six years of in-store feedback I find that most folks prefer the feel of the N2 neck over the N1. The fact that the N2 neck has a truss rod is nice, but with a CF guitar it's hardly a necessity so I have never had anyone choose the N2 neck because of it's truss rod. Sure, it's always nice to have options, and it is possible Ashvin will decide to add an N1 12-fret neck to the lineup, but IMO if he had to choose just one he chose well.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 AM

Well, I will add my perspective to this discussion. First, let me say that Ted & Halene gave the best service I have ever experienced with a guitar purchase. I was in the market for another CF guitar and was strongly leaning toward a RS. I wanted a smaller body CF guitar. When the Shorty discussion started, I thought that I had found my "must have" guitar. After it came out, I purchased it un-played thru Ted because of his expertise. Thrilled with this guitar.

Now, some things I wanted... I liked the sound of the uni-directional top, I wanted integrated electronics, I wanted a satin neck and I wanted a shallow(ish) body with cutaway. I really wanted a satin neck but did not want the satin body... compromise. I wanted a lower profile N1 neck like my older RS... compromise.

If I could start from scratch... this is what I would build.

1. Shorty
2. Gloss body with satin neck
3. N1 neck with truss rod (truss rod is a deal-breaker for me)
4. Shark Inlays... got to have sharks!

Other options? Maybe?
1. Locking tuners
2. Stainless steel frets

However, all said... I would purchase my Shorty again without hesitation. But if an N1 version with truss rod comes available, I will buy another one before they are even in production!

Thank you Ashvin. Thank you Ted & Halene.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 AM

I realize that Rainsong N2 is a modified U but I think few acoustic guitars are based on the U shape. I asked this question of this forum a while ago and no one could give me an another example. I think you see the U mostly used in electric guitars, Bolin predominately makes electrics, in fact I could not find an acoustic on his website. It certainly is in a different direction from Taylor, which I hold in high regard. I am not saying that it is a bad design and most would be very pleased with it. I own two guitars with it so it's not a deal breaker for me!! But it's far from the norm, or the Taylor approach, and I prefer the thinner profile necks of most of my collection. Would not be my choice for a universal neck.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-09-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the kind words Steel Pastor.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 AM

Building on the points in earlier posts, would a truss rod in an N1 neck be possible if there was enough interest in it?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Building on the points in earlier posts, would a truss rod in an N1 neck be possible if there was enough interest in it?
I read that it costs Rainsong a lot of money for a new neck mold, I think they are milled from aluminum. Could be why they are so consistent and have great QC.
It is my understanding that to put a truss rod in a N1 requires a new mold. I think for most people the neck profile is not a big deal, so why go there? CA is supporting two neck profiles, so its out there. To me the N2 is a much better profile than the original wider CA. Though I have argued strongly for a slimmer truss roded neck from Rainsong, I own two N2's so its not a deal breaker neck at all. I think it makes it difficult for them to spend the money.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM

The N2 neck seems t be doing just fine and as I have mentioned before, although a truss rod is a nice touch, most folks don't think of it as a deal breaker on a CF guitar.

BTW, with all this talk about neck options for Rainsong it got me thinking about Composite Acoustics. Before they closed shop, back when we were their biggest dealer by a healthy margin, there was a lot of buzz about their guitars yet I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their lack of neck options. They had one neck shape without a truss rod and that was it.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The N2 neck seems t be doing just fine and as I have mentioned before, although a truss rod is a nice touch, most folks don't think of it as a deal breaker on a CF guitar.

BTW, with all this talk about neck options for Rainsong it got me thinking about Composite Acoustics. Before they closed shop, back when we were their biggest dealer by a healthy margin, there was a lot of buzz about their guitars yet I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their lack of neck options. They had one neck shape without a truss rod and that was it.
I guess I am ever your neck foil. I do remember that there were people that I knew that did not like the way that the CA neck grew wider as you went up the neck. It was actually a real part of why I sold my Legacy, I could never get used to that. I just assumed that was why CA brought out a narrow neck option.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Steve, all necks grow wider as you go up the neck, it's a matter of following the string spacing which will increase about 1/2" from nut to saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber