The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Default BAD customer service (and you wonder why you're circling the drain)

Scenario 1)

Small local music store. I bought an instrument ~$1500. Great service. Had a warranty question 17 months later. I emailed them at night.

First thing the next morning, they had looked up my file, made a copy of my purchase receipt, emailed it to me, sent me three different contacts at the manufacturer along with info how to proceed. Then I got a phone cal before I finished my coffee from the store manager who talked to me for ten minutes about how to get warranty service and how he can help.

They had no revenue to gain from this. I wasn't looking to buy something. I was looking for them to spend their time and money helping me and they did a stellar job.

I will shop at their store every chance I get.

Scenario 2)

Large famous company. I was a repeat customer. I wanted to spend $1500 and buy another instrument from them but had a technical product question.

No info is listed on their website.

I emailed customer service and got no response.
I emailed technical support and got no response.
I had a company forums account and tried posting on the forums but my account was dormant and disabled.
I tried contacting their forum mods but don't have access rights to contact them.

So......I'll buy a different product from a different company I guess.

Oh, by the way, this company is in dire financial straits........I wonder if getting more sales would help them financially......nah, apparently it's not a priority.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Oh, by the way, this company is in dire financial straits........I wonder if getting more sales would help them financially......nah, apparently it's not a priority.
I think the plan here was to pay low, and be able to get people that think it's cool to work around guitars. After all, they need that money for triple net retail locations and advertising saturation. I wouldn't be sad to see them go, but it's a shame about all the mom and pop's they took out first.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-29-2018, 10:30 AM

I work in music and theatre and part of my job is to make sure that both the artists who are our guests and the public they are performing for have a relaxing time. I see music (or indeed any kind of) retail as a similar interaction. Even grocery shopping. The customer (or member of the audience) didn’t have to choose that store or venue. It is in our interests to make sure that he, she or they have a positive experience and feel tempted to come back, where they will once again be made to feel welcome and appreciated. Both in retail and in live performance venues, without the customer we have no business.

The small store experience you write about is, I am happy to say, the one I am more used to. The lack of engagement from the second example is disappointing and even a bit sad. I would have expected them to at least acknowledge your enquiries and try to find the information you were after even if they didn’t have it to hand there and then. Making an effort is appreciated as much as anything. In this day and age we can too easily feel lost and anonymous, someone taking the time to engage with us makes all the difference.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

just to be clear, the second scenario was not the big store, but the big manufacturer

Old 03-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
... I see music (or indeed any kind of) retail as a similar interaction. Even grocery shopping. The customer (or member of the audience) didn’t have to choose that store or venue. It is in our interests to make sure that he, she or they have a positive experience and feel tempted to come back, where they will once again be made to feel welcome and appreciated. Both in retail and in live performance venues, without the customer we have no business.
One of the things we are very proud of in our community is Rochester's grocery store chain called Wegmans. Little ole western new york grocery store. Usually on the Forbes best companies to work for and twice #1 in the entire country of every company in America. That's because the entire culture there is a good experience.....especially for the employees who make it wonderful for the customers.

Richard Branson said:

Clients do not come first. Employees come first. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the clients.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:21 PM

Before I do business with a company I test them by sending an inquiry through their website. The time it takes to get a response is usually a great indicator of the type of experience you will have with them. No response = no sale

Cincy
Old 03-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Before I do business with a company I test them by sending an inquiry through their website. The time it takes to get a response is usually a great indicator of the type of experience you will have with them. No response = no sale

Cincy
that's a great rule to follow!

Old 03-29-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
that's a great rule to follow!
Agreed. It's kind of like interviewing someone for a job - it can only go downhill (i.e., you're seeing them at their best when selling themselves). Same with a company enticing us to buy their wares...
Old 03-29-2018, 04:44 PM

So fazool, what are your views on people who don’t bother to reply to friendly PMs you send them ?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
So fazool, what are your views on people who don’t bother to reply to friendly PMs you send them ?
Like the driving wave I always try to say "Hey thanks".

If it's a question or conversation starter I always try to respond right away.

I read AGF so often and throughout the day....waiting for a meeting, waiting for lunch, standing in checkout line. . Writing long replies on phone like now (waiting in vet office) on phone is hard.

Problem is the PM highlight doesn't stay lit so if I quick glance at a message while running g about my day, it marks ot read and I forget I didn't reply.

BTW thanks

Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM

OK, understood, I’ve updated my estimation of you !
Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 PM

Scenario 3) New owners take over the store.
-All guitar strings go up 40% in price overnight.
-I find a price online for a new 12-string I know they stock, I ring to see how close they can come to matching it. Their young salesperson tells me they're not interested in any other prices, go ahead and buy it!
So I did ... and I've never been back.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-30-2018, 07:34 AM

Many large companies that have been around for a long time (before the internet) have never caught up with the 'latest' needs for internet commerce, service and information. They always seem to be 5 (or more) years behind, usually because of bad management/marketing decisions and/or the need to use an outside consultant company that isn't up to date, either.
The decision makers are often the ones who have little internet use/experience, and don't understand what people under 30 years old expect these days.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-02-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
just to be clear, the second scenario was not the big store, but the big manufacturer
Did you try calling them?

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:11 PM

I love Above and Beyond customer service, wherever it be found, and I reward it with my business. I don't do that when I receive bad customer service. This means I am willing to pay a little more, if I have to. The smartest business owners and managers are learning this. Alas, their percentage is apparently not growing fast enough.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic