The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 AM

I love my Snark but agree with the OP: they are junk and the price is excessive. That being said, to tell somebody to use a Smart phone app is to not fully read into the issue of why people use clip on tuners in the first which the OP also spelled out by saying in the very first line:

Quote:
I Find Clip on Tuners most convenient rather than laying a korg on my knee and have it hit the ground
Ever have a $600 iPhone hit the ground? I have. Even the excessive price of a Snark is preferable should that hit the ground.

The one thing I like most about Snarks are probably their weakest points: the ball joint that allows you to reposition the display. I have another type of clip on tuner made by Dean Markley which works just as well even in loud rooms (or in quiet ones where I have to fine tune quietly while the pastor wraps up his sermon) but it has a limited viewing arc because of both its design and luminance.

That being said, I will certainly be checking out the Fishman tuner. It looks like it addresses the viewing arc issue.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM

I have had good luck with the "Hola" tuners. Much more durable than the Snark. Costs about 8$ on amazon.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Just picked up one of these and love it. Keeps the headstock clean and I don't have to remove it when it goes in the case
Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Just picked up one of these and love it. Keeps the headstock clean and I don't have to remove it when it goes in the case
Nice! Now I actually have GAS for a new tuner.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM

I use a TC Electonic Polytune clip on for my instruments. It's pricey but it's very accurate and I love it. I tried to use a Snark tuner after my Korg tuner died but it was a pieces of junk on all of my Martins.

There's also a less pricey version of the Polytune called Unitune. It tunes one string at a time. Links are below.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PolyTuneClip

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM

A couple yrs. ago Reverb had the tuners on sale for a buck, free shipping and batt. included. Bought 3 of them and keep them in cases for spares. They work fine, the only thing I find with them is they work a little slower than the Snarks, but hey they were .99 each!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Awesome. 'nother thread on tuners.

Whatever happened to the real old fashioned way, pitch pipes or tuning forks. No batteries, durable and don't {usually) break when dropped. Another plus is that they help train your ear.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Awesome. 'nother thread on tuners.

Whatever happened to the real old fashioned way, pitch pipes or tuning forks. No batteries, durable and don't {usually) break when dropped. Another plus is that they help train your ear.
A big minus is that they're useless in a noisy room, or when other instruments are playing at a Session or a jam, or when you're on stage at a gig and need to tune fast, or...

Good enough though for lonesome home-players I guess.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 AM

I have also noticed that brick and mortar shops tend to over price Snark Tuners.
I get all of mine from Amazon.
Watch for their sales and get several at a time.
Never spent over $9.00 for one yet.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:49 AM

I used a Korg PitchClip for a while and liked it. Accurate enough, small and not too expensive. Then, one day I tried a friend's TC PolyTune. Much faster and much more accurate. Too pricey, but I bought one anyway. No regrets.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM

I've got a $10 Snark clip on that I bought a few years ago...

I have 3 guitars and use it on each of them regularly, and it works fine...good bang for the buck...and like someone else mentioned, I stay stocked on the 2032 batteries, as I use them in most of the remotes around the house...

I read frequently that people break them at the ball joint, and I can't figure that out...

I set the angle on the read out when I first got it, and haven't touched it since...fits just the same on all the guitars...I clip it on, tune, take it off and put it back in the drawer...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegar View Post
I use a TC Electonic Polytune clip on for my instruments. It's pricey but it's very accurate and I love it. I tried to use a Snark tuner after my Korg tuner died but it was a pieces of junk on all of my Martins.

There's also a less pricey version of the Polytune called Unitune. It tunes one string at a time. Links are below.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PolyTuneClip

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip
Another fan of the TC Polytune. I don't even think about tuners any more. These work like a charm and are decently made - at least I have not had any problems with them. Worth the investment for me.

Tons of cheaper choices out there that many people are satisfied with so the OP will probably find what floats the boat.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM

I've used a few Snarks over the years, and they're OK. Kinda fragile, but OK.

I bought a TC Polytune a while back because people seemed to like them. I don't. It's too slow and not accurate enough for me in standard mode, and it's hard to read in strobe mode. It also won't reliably "poly" tune for me, as one string is consistently still flat afterwards. Maybe something is wrong with mine, but I definitely don't like it.

I recently got a Peterson Stroboclip HD, and it's everything I want in a clip-on tuner. It's not as ergonomic as some clip-ons, but it's fast and very accurate, which are my main requirements, and I also like Peterson's "sweetened" tunings. It's fairly expensive in comparison to the others, but I won't use any other clip-on tuner now that I've used the Peterson. I'm a fan of strobe tuners in general though, so it works well for me.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
I could buy them a few months ago for $8 , now they want $30 and $40 for that same thing ?
Who is THEY? Maybe time to shop at another store, Strings & Beyond still has most models for around $10 to 12, or even less with 15% off Black Friday.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Nice! Now I actually have GAS for a new tuner.

Have to say it's my favourite new accessory in a while.
I hate having a tuner & a capo hanging off the end of my guitar all the time. I went to this tuner & a Daddario screw type capo that I can put above the nut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion