The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

For any struggling beginners reading this thread, please don't be discouraged by any suggestion that this is supposed to be easy!

Lot's of folks drop out early on. It takes quite a bit of time and persistence to build up calluses so it doesn't hurt to play, and more time and effort learn enough chords to play a song and to change smoothly between those chords.

We all learn at different rates, and it may be easier in the beginning for some, but hang in there. Your progress will not be a straight line....but the trend will be upwards!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Interesting comments. Since I spent the age of 9 to 19 studying classical piano I can tell that for me it was a pretty tough instrument to get good at (which I never really did but at least I improved my understanding of how it should sound like when played well like some of my friends). Started playing acoustic January this year and even though it still sounds quite bad I believe you are able to improve faster on guitar at least if you are focusing on chords and strumming.

Regarding tone on piano - there is a huge difference between players on their tone, phrasing, dynamics etc. It is not just a matter of pressing the keys and out comes music. The same goes with just about any instrument of course
Old 11-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I recently had reason to look this up, and my readings indicated the piano is considered both or either stringed/percussion.

Do you know otherwise?

References?
References?

Yeah, I just looked into my piano and lo and behold, do you know what I saw? Hammers hitting strings, not plucking them or rubbing against them...striking them. Instruments are divided out according to the means by which sound is produced. Therefore, a harpsichord is a stringed instrument like a lute because both instruments are plucked. A piano might have strings, but they don't move unless you strike them.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Sky's the limit. The mysteriousness of acoustic guitar to one person is yesterday's memory of it to another. The question is, really, how good do you want to play to be a good player?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post

Yeah, I just looked into my piano and lo and behold, do you know what I saw? Hammers hitting strings, not plucking them or rubbing against them...striking them. Instruments are divided out according to the means by which sound is produced. Therefore, a harpsichord is a stringed instrument like a lute because both instruments are plucked. A piano might have strings, but they don't move unless you strike them.
I say a piano is both.
For example, if I do a hammer-on on my guitar,
does that make it a percussion instrument?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

It seems that these days EVERYTHING is a percussion instrument.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I say a piano is both.
For example, if I do a hammer-on on my guitar,
does that make it a percussion instrument?
Well yes, by all means if the only notes one would play on guitar were hammer ons, and that this was the prescribed way of playing the instrument. But a hammer on is just a technique, while the method of playing percussion instruments like drums or glockenspiel or triangle, is to strike. The hammerklavier is aptly named.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic