The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I've had less than stellar experiences with Sweetwater. Buy/shop at your own risk.
Steve
I've had more poor experiences with Sweetwater than good I must say. Why do I keep going back? I like the long interest free financing which gives me a chance to sell stuff to pay it off haha.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 PM

I've purchased 2 guitars over the internet from Sweetwater, and couldn't be more satisfied with the service, setup, and pricing. This weekend, I was out in Toledo visiting my brother, and we took a road trip to Fort Wayne on black Friday, since it's only around 90 minutes away (he's got two guitars from Sweetwater as well).

The campus is pretty amazing, and the showroom is very well stocked. If there's a guitar that isn't sitting out that you want to play, they'll send a runner to the warehouse to get it for you. I did settle on a Taylor 356ce, but the in-store salesman priced it about $40 higher than the price I had already been offered by my internet representative. I wound up just calling him and ordering it over the phone. This will be my third purchase from Sweetwater.

I'll post up a NGD when it arrives next week.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Wow, I don't know how they afford that facility.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:54 PM

I would like to know how much time they take to do a setup and what it entails.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
I would like to know how much time they take to do a setup and what it entails.
This link lists what they do as part of their "55 point evaluation".

https://www.sweetwater.com/about/guitars/

I know that they also take a series of photographs of each individual guitar. Once you purchase, they send you the link to the photos so that you can download them.

Not trying to be a cheerleader, but both guitars I've received from them so far were setup as well as I could reasonably expect (although I didn't always get my free candy ).
Old 11-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFingerstyle View Post
This link lists what they do as part of their "55 point evaluation".

https://www.sweetwater.com/about/guitars/

I know that they also take a series of photographs of each individual guitar. Once you purchase, they send you the link to the photos so that you can download them.

Not trying to be a cheerleader, but both guitars I've received from them so far were setup as well as I could reasonably expect (although I didn't always get my free candy ).
..... a word about their 55 point evaluation. I bought a brand new Gibson from them several years ago. I was told about their 55 point evaluation, including set up & strings of my choice. I told them how I wanted it set up, then we hung up. I called them back 10min later to tell them which brand of strings to use. They told me it was already packed & on the truck. So, if you think they can do a 55 point inspection, set the guitar up, install new strings, pack it up, & load it on the truck within 10 min, then you have a serious math problem. I received the guitar with the factory set up, (strings 1" off the fretboard), corroded worn strings, & an uncured finish that was still sticky to the touch. I sent it back, & was charged a $459. restocking fee. I will never deal with them again, & warn everyone considering using them. They are the guitar equivalent to a used car salesman, in a brown plaid leisure suit. Not bashing here, just a buyers beware warning.
Steve
Old 11-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
..... a word about their 55 point evaluation. I bought a brand new Gibson from them several years ago. I was told about their 55 point evaluation, including set up & strings of my choice. I told them how I wanted it set up, then we hung up. I called them back 10min later to tell them which brand of strings to use. They told me it was already packed & on the truck. So, if you think they can do a 55 point inspection, set the guitar up, install new strings, pack it up, & load it on the truck within 10 min, then you have a serious math problem. I received the guitar with the factory set up, (strings 1" off the fretboard), corroded worn strings, & an uncured finish that was still sticky to the touch. I sent it back, & was charged a $459. restocking fee. I will never deal with them again, & warn everyone considering using them. They are the guitar equivalent to a used car salesman, in a brown plaid leisure suit. Not bashing here, just a buyers beware warning.
Steve
Steve, first let me say I have no reason to doubt your account. I can say that between myself and other family members, we've purchased and received 5 (soon to be 6) guitars from Sweetwater, and each guitar has been flawlessly setup upon arrival. I can't know if your experience (1" off the fretboard?) is hyperbole, shipping damage, or a really terrible incident, but your recounting of your experience with Sweetwater is almost certainly not typical, and is far from my own experience with them.

If your incident with them is accurately reflected, I don't blame you for warning people off. It just seems very out of character with the my own interactions with them.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Wow, from the pictures it's like a Musician's Disney Land!
We've done online and over the phone stuff with them. No guitars yet. Yes, they would call occasionally but it's been a while since they last called.
Definitely looks like a great place to visit!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

bought a few accessory type products from them and one guitar.

Fairly good experience with them so far.

they won't budge on dealing for an even modest reduction for any higher end guitar possibility.

OK for electronics,mics and stuff that you can send back painlessly ....
Old 11-26-2017, 05:28 PM

A really good setup should take an experienced tech more than ten minutes. Maybe more like 25 to 40 minutes.

Can anyone say they really got a hands-on setup, well beyond what the factory one out-of-box offered?

One might say they are pleased with the setup Sweetwater did, but does their "55 point inspection" really mean setup the way we think a luthier might do one?

Has anyone seen Sweetwater unstring a new guitar, do work as required to saddle, nut, fretboard, trussrod up/down, and more, to accomplish a great setup?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I've ordered from Sweetwater, and the experience has always been very positive. So much so that we stopped there for 3 days during GearFest last June. From south Texas. OK, we were heading to Maine with our motorhome, and decided to time things around their GearFest. Very impressive.

We arrived there a day before the event started, and my sales rep, Tad, took time to show us around the campus. It gave us the change to meet face-to-face... no "hard sales," but a considerate follow-up.

Another poster described that photo taken during GearFest as "Disneyland for musicians"... definitely! You could visit with factory reps from the major guitar manufacturers, amps, pedals, keyboards, drums... seminars and live entertainment. And, camping right on their campus during the event.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
they won't budge on dealing for an even modest reduction for any higher end guitar possibility.
My own experience, with three Taylor 300 series guitars, is that they will take $250-300 off their website price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Can anyone say they really got a hands-on setup, well beyond what the factory one out-of-box offered?
I can't say. Each guitar I've purchased has been received with low action, no buzzing, no fingerprints or soiling, and nothing that I would bring to a luthier for adjustment. Whether that's due to Sweetwater's 55-point thingy or a testament to Taylor's factory setups, I couldn't say for certain. The 356ce that's on its way is the one that I actually played in the store, so I'll have a better idea if they changed anything after they pulled it off the floor once I receive it, but the geometry was already pretty good when I played it.

It's also possible (and likely) that many of the points in their inspection are done when the guitar is received at Sweetwater rather than when it's ready to ship to a customer.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I've had a total of one guitar transaction with Sweetwater and it was quite positive. I consider my D-28 Marquis a "high end" guitar, and I negotiated a modest discount. Certainly not the kind of discount you'd get with one of AGF's sponsors, but a discount nevertheless. My guitar arrived in flawless condition.

I should note that the 55 point inspection is when they receive a new guitar - not just prior to shipping. They claim that they reject as much as 10% of incoming guitars after performing the inspection. No way to prove if that's true.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM

My assumption is that the 55 point inspection process would take place when Sweetwater receives the guitar and the manufactures they deal with are fully aware of what Sweetwater looks at. I don't know what to think about this situation as something just doesn't sound right to me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Never been there, but it looks amazing.
I've never had anything but great experiences with them. I'v bought 2 guitars from them, and they come well packed, and set up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion