The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Who's getting the Coco/Lutz Custom Shop Taylor?

I was at Shoreline music yesterday and the owner, John Fowler pulled out a seriously beautiful Custom Shop Taylor that was heading to its new home. The guitar used some stunning Cocobolo and one of the best sets of Lutz spruce that I've seen. But the tone - WOW! This guitar had sustain for days. I'm suspect that this was tweaked somehow in the bracing department. Just gorgeous tone. Short scale guitar, beautiful build. I hope the owner will post some pics and maybe a sound clip when it arrives!

JR
Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 PM

I just shared this post with the owner, so suspect he’ll reply as he is able. I know he’ll be happy with your “first look” report!

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 11-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I was at Shoreline music yesterday and the owner, John Fowler pulled out a seriously beautiful Custom Shop Taylor that was heading to its new home. The guitar used some stunning Cocobolo and one of the best sets of Lutz spruce that I've seen. But the tone - WOW! This guitar had sustain for days. I'm suspect that this was tweaked somehow in the bracing department. Just gorgeous tone. Short scale guitar, beautiful build. I hope the owner will post some pics and maybe a sound clip when it arrives!

JR
Hi! yea that’s me! John and I have been through a lot, i ordered in march and taylor broke 2 sets of cocobolo

ill gladly post pics...and you’ll be happy to hear that i asked john to do a video of it.its hard to find good videos of qualified people giving reviews..even harder to find those reviewers with unique tonewoods combos. if you’re ok with it, i’ll post a pic john sent me of you playing it?

i just got home from work and have a sick toddler, but i’ll try to post pics tonight along with the specs.

in a nutshell it’s lutz/cocobolo Gc 12 fret with adirondack performance bracing. bone nut and micarta saddle. ill be on later and thx for the kind words! def put a smile on my face
Old 11-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Looking forward to pics and a review! Congrats zeebow.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM

This is a cool thread.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 PM

I would love to see this. I had a Lutz Taylor that I loved, and now a coco guitar that I love almost as much as my children.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:42 PM

thx for all of the kind words...

specs:
taylor guitars grand concert, 12 fret
lutz spruce top
cocobolo back and sides (hand picked from photos, thx shoreline music!)
Adirondack performance bracing
bone nut, micarta saddle (taylor no longer offers bone saddle)
1 3/4" nut width
24 7/8" scale length
standard peghead
mahogany neck, stained to match back and sides
cocobolo single ring rosette with cocoblo bound soundhole
cocobolo binding (neck, body, headstock)
gold gotoh 510 tuners with black plastic buttons
ebony headstock, gloss
ebony truss rod cover, gloss
2.5mm abalone dot inlays
ebony bridge pins with abalone dots
standard gloss on top, body
taylor mother of pearl headstock logo (was so close to getting paua but was trying to stay within budget)
standard purfling
elixir pb light strings

i asked john to shoot a video, b/c as someone who uses the internet to hunt for cool tone wood combos and knowing how hard it is to find - i was hoping i could inspire others, or perhaps give a different perspective on tone. for instance, the adirondack performance bracing is a new option for custom taylors...

so i dont have it in my hands yet, but i'm completely cool if it means that many more people can hear and see what the end result is. here are a couple of pics. if JR doesn't like his photo here, i'll remove it and i apologize in advance...

Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebow View Post
so i dont have it in my hands yet, but i'm completely cool if it means that many more people can hear and see what the end result is. here are a couple of pics. if JR doesn't like his photo here, i'll remove it and i apologize in advance...

The photo is fine. You're being patient. I would need that guitar in my hands NOW. But rest assured it's a great one and I think you'll love it.

JR
Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM

Just awesome ! Really looking forward to the video. I think it's a fantastic idea to have the different tonal properties showcased in nice videos. As a collector of more unique offerings it will be a treat to hear Lutz with performance bracing ! And Cocobolo to boot... Just really looking forward to the video. John and shoreline are fantastic as well... I purchased my Amazon rosewood from shoreline .
Taylor 2016 Mahogany 12-Fret GA
Taylor 2016 Koa GS Mini
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Well done. That’s a great-looking custom Taylor. The simple appointments just exude class and let the wood on the back and the sound from the front be the stars of the show.

I don’t know if I’ll ever get another Taylor — the one I have seems to have checked that box for me — but if I did, it would be a 12-fret GC model. I think it’s their coolest guitar by far.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Well done. That’s a great-looking custom Taylor. The simple appointments just exude class and let the wood on the back and the sound from the front be the stars of the show.

I don’t know if I’ll ever get another Taylor — the one I have seems to have checked that box for me — but if I did, it would be a 12-fret GC model. I think it’s their coolest guitar by far.
thank you so much. that means alot. you're absolutely right, when i envisioned this guitar, i wanted the cocobolo to stand out and i wanted it coupled with a magical tone. i felt the added warmth from having a taylor 12 fret (they move the bridge further back, into the lower bout) and the lutz would balance out the bell like cocobolo tones.

i'm so happy that what i envisioned in my mind materialized into something that sounds good (so i hear lol), and the aesthetics translated too!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

What a beauty. Well done! Love that back. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 PM

What is Performance bracing?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles View Post
What is Performance bracing?
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...atures/bracing

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Nice one, Zee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion