The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Love this! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM

http://guitaron.ru/library/notes/bas...S.Yates%29.pdf

Sorry for the long link. TinyURL doesn't seem to be helping today.

Stanley Yates used to have these "hidden" on his website and he shared them freely. I got my copy years ago. This Russian site has the PDF. There are dozens of pieces arranged for solo guitar. Here is a video of one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFsVwUjH1FM
Old 11-09-2017, 03:11 PM

In 1963 I was fifteen years old, sitting in the kitchen, revising for some exam or other. The radio was on in the background. I wasn't paying attention to the radio until this extraordinary driving sound emerged from it - a wailing harmonica, drums, guitars, and then "Last night I said these words to my girl ...".

Shivers ran up and down my spine. What the heck is THIS? All revision stopped. Blow the exam. THIS was the most important thing I'd ever heard.

I've heard a few other important things since then, but I never fell out of love with the Beatles.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know that not everyone loves them. In fact, I wore my John Lennon Imagine tee-shirt to yoga yesterday, and a young woman I'd never met made it a point to approach and tell me that John Lennon and the other Beatles are the most over-rated rock stars who ever lived and that Imagine is the most insipid song in existence. And then she walked away before giving me a chance to respond. For real, it was like a drive-by! Whatever... I've got several other Beatles tees I'll be wearing to yoga now (hee hee hee)!
Spoken like the typical person who knows nothing about music but regurgitates what ever they heard at the water cooler! What the Beatles did in the short period of time they did it is unmatched in music history IMHO. They were before my time but I have a massive appreciation for them. If you ever come across old studio footage of them I suggest avoiding it unless your very self confident. I searched and watched several of Paul's studio sessions and had to put my guitar away in disgust of my own pathetic abilities😔

Besides anyone who knows music knows the most overrated rockstars were the Doors😂

Jeff
Old 11-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Default Any Beatles fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJeff View Post
Spoken like the typical person who knows nothing about music but regurgitates what ever they heard at the water cooler! What the Beatles did in the short period of time they did it is unmatched in music history IMHO. They were before my time but I have a massive appreciation for them. If you ever come across old studio footage of them I suggest avoiding it unless your very self confident. I searched and watched several of Paul's studio sessions and had to put my guitar away in disgust of my own pathetic abilities[emoji17]

Besides anyone who knows music knows the most overrated rockstars were the Doors[emoji23]

Jeff

First Concert! The Boys were Fab! [emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass
Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve always been a fan of the Beatles...and the Stones...and Led Zep...and the Who...etc., etc.

As for the Beatles, each Monday afternoon over the past month, my wife and I and a good friend have attended movie theatre showings of a four part filmed lecture series presented by Beatles historian Scott Freiman that explored the engineering and production.....“Deconstructing” the Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers and White albums. Absolutely fascinating. Beatles fans...if you haven’t seen these films, I think you’d really appreciate and enjoy them.
http://www.beatleslectures.com/2017/...fotxli6wf6mw0q

The other day I also came acrosss this video I hadn’t seen before. It’s very good.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
I love Beatles 65! She's a Woman, I Feel Fine and one of my favorites of all times, I'll Be Back... The Christmas that my sister and I got that album and a new stereo record player was one of the best!

I'll Be Back is the song I'm working on now and that Bm Bm(maj7) Bm7 at the beginning of the second bridge is killing me! It's the fingering on the Bm(maj7) that's so hard, and I thought about skipping it, just playing the Bm and the Bm7. But the 3 chords sound so melodic and beautiful together, I want to play them. I keep trying.
I love the Beatles too! I was lucky enough to see them in person in August 1966 at RFK stadium in Washington, DC. An excellent concert and great playing and singing.
Although Beatles 65 is a great album, my favorite is probably the Hard Day's Night album. YMMV. Good luck with playing "I'll Be Back". I finally gave in and just hold the Bm for that passage. Maybe if I had a Rickenbacker it would be easier.

Dan
Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Many years ago, when I was a young teenager I had one of these...

On one side was Revolver and on the other was Rubber Soul. With space on the label being tight I wrote 'Revolver' and 'R-Soul' on the spine. My dad looked at it and suggested I change it.

Favourite album is Abbey Road - it has everything from good solid songs to the brilliant progression through 'side two'. Even has the 'Ok, we'll let the drummer write a song' song on it. But who would'nt want to be, under the sea?

YouTube
Old 11-22-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Many years ago, when I was a young teenager I had one of these...

I'll go one better. I had one of those when I was in my 20s, but in my teens (1960s) I had one of these:

In the 1970s I upgraded to one of these:

- which I still have (gathering dust on my bookshelves, and looking down on me accusingly... "Use me! before your magnetic tape collection all disintegrates...").
Without the first one, I couldn't have worked out all those songs I transcribed in the 1960s. Or copied all my friends LPs (yes, including Beatles)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
On one side was Revolver and on the other was Rubber Soul. With space on the label being tight I wrote 'Revolver' and 'R-Soul' on the spine. My dad looked at it and suggested I change it.
LOL.

Reminds of that old 1980s comedy sketch (in chemist shop):
"Hello, I would like some deodorant."
"Certainly sir, would you like ball or aerosol?"
"Neither, I want it for my armpits."
Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM

I really don't have a problem with people who don't like or appreciate the Beatles.
The facts are the facts...their influence on popular music was beyond profound, they were extremely gifted in a manner previously unseen and they made the rest of us who love them very happy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM

In the original OP's video there is talk of the G6 chord (which is basically strumming the open strings between chords) as if this is peculiar to John Lennon. I have always done this and thought it was a common practice. Is this really as uncommon as the video might suggest or does everyone do this?

Up until about ten years ago I used to play a restaurant with my mate Pete. This is one of my favourites we used to do with Pete strumming his Takamine and providing the vocals whilst I did the finger picking on my Lowden. I do miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I always wanted one of these.

YouTube
Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Ozzy, nice cover of NW.

I don't think he was saying that playing the open strings is exclusive to John Lennon. He's just saying it's a technique that he often used. But I have The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook, and wherever a G6 is used, it doesn't indicate to play open strings. Like in I'll Be Back G6 is played as G on the 6th string, B on the 5th string, DGBE open (the E making it a 6 chord). It's in the first line,
Am---------------G6----------------Fmaj7
You know if you break my heart I'll go

Same thing in She Loves you, where it's over the final Yeah.
Em
Yeah, yeah, yeah
C ------------------ G6
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

If you play all the strings open in either of those places, it doesn't sound right.
JL does hit all the open strings at times, but I didn't understand why the guy says that's what the G6 chords in their songs are.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-24-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Yes.
I'm 68 now, and I remember the Beatles as basically a girls' band at the beginning, and the Stones were for the guys! My younger sister was into them four cute moptops, while me and my mates were into the Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Who.
For me, that began changing with Rubber Soul (the proto-psychedelic typography more than the music), and finally with Revolver, and the astonishing Tomorrow Never Knows - which changed everything! That track still sounds revolutionary 50 years on (as the Chemical Bros proved). Followed by their stunning masterpiece Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane (what a double A-side that was...)
Then Sgt Pepper basically conquered the world (the general response to that was like Moses had come down with 10 new commandments....). The Stones could only manage the feeble Satanic Majesties in response. (Still I bought the latter album, and never bought Sgt Pepper. You didn't need to then, because all your friends owned a copy and you could just borrow it and tape it. But, A Day in the Life aside, I never thought it was as good as Revolver.)

For me, the Beatles' appeal started diminishing after that - I never got into the white album (too much filler, no standouts), and Abbey Road and Let It Be both seemed messy, thrown together. Of course, in later years I've reviewed that naively dismissive late-teenage opinion, but back then I was deeply into The Authentic Blues (maaan), dismissing even Led Zep as tiresome dilettantes! If it wasn't acoustic, ideally on a scratchy old 78, it wasn't worth anything.... (The only new rock acts I tolerated in the late 60s were Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd. And Peter Green, but not for his blues.)

The Stones, meanwhile, remained more or less as appealing as ever. Their psychedelic deviation was no more than that (everyone was doing it in 1967, you were nobody if you didn't), and they returned to their vocation of embedding blues as the foundation of rock music, their life's work as God surely intended! Their saving grace was they never seemed to take themselves too seriously. It was all good time stuff.

Now, I recognise the Beatles (Lennon. McCartney, Harrison) for the master songwriters they were. (And Ringo as a master drummer, as George Martin - eventually recognised.) Back then, the Beatles' songs were simply the environment I grew up in, and they felt no more special than water does to a fish. I knew no different, and it felt quite natural that their expanding musical consciousness went hand in hand with my own adolescent growth. In the 1960s, something new and amazing seemed to happen every month in popular culture, and that just felt normal. It's only when looking back that I see the genius of how they pulled so many previous musical strands together.
That's very eloquent, Jon.
---a 69-year-old fan
Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
If anything, the Beatles are UNDERRATED. The older I get, the more I appreciate how sophisticated their music was, even their very early stuff.
Exactly. I remember my 1st guitar teacher(when I had already been playing, such as it was, for many years) telling me that he had a college professor who had no use for any rock music. All total rubbish. And then, he came back after summer vacation and had discovered the Beatles. It was like a conversion experience.

[QUOTE=TBman;5528229]I was 9 years old when they were on Ed Sullivan show. Its their fault that I make you all listen to my guitar playing. Without those four guys I wonder if I would have ever been inspired to pick up a guitar.

Me, too, Barry. I was 11, and their music opened up a whole new world for me. I immediately knew I wanted to play guitar. My parents dismissed both the Beatles and my new-found desire to play guitar as fads that would blow over. But we all know how that prediction ended for the Beatles, and my love affair with the guitar is still going strong.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
If anything, the Beatles are UNDERRATED. The older I get, the more I appreciate how sophisticated their music was, even their very early stuff.
I've often noticed that early 50s "rock", Buddy Holly for example, use extremely simple chords and often, at least to my ear, didn't change or add chords when they should have. In comparison, the Beatles used more sophisticated, and more musical, chord transitions right off the bat.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write