The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Default Unison Bends

So I'm having a lot of difficulty with these unison bends on my Ibanez RG 550. I can't get it quite right. On a Floyd Rose guitar, if I'm doing a unison bend on the high r string 10th fret and 13th fret of b string - do I have to bend my high e string a little to compensate for the tremolo??..I can't get them to sound right - also how can I practice bending toe b string to tune??? Can I plug it into a tuner or what's a good way. Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 07:50 AM

Bends like that with a floating vibrato are tricky. Yes, you do have to bend the "unbent" note a bit and the note you are intending to bend will have to go a little further as the bridge gives to the extra tension. It's why Mark Knopfler played a hardtail Strat.

There are many products out there that will allow you to lock the bridge. I'm pretty sure there are some for a Floyd.

I don't know how much a tuner will help during practice. I've heard of people using them, but I'd advise that you use your ears. I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM

This was probably the main reason I ditched the Floyd Rose

Before I got rid of the wiggle stick, I got in the habit of pushing back on the bridge with my picking hand when doing unison and double stop bends.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write