The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Made, designed and over-priced in Canada.

https://theguitarstool.com/collectio...d-veneer-seats
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Those Soundseats offer casters or gliders. I'm not sure what the advantage or disadvantage is of either option.
I have both. When I want to be extra quiet and stationary, I use the gliders. Most of the time, the casters are more convenient for me.

cotten
Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 AM

Default Homegrew

Homebrew SWIVEL Boat folding seat ( Cushion removed ) Attached to 4 leg Bar stool and perm mounted Barber Shop type plywood angled up footrest , Very versatile and comfortable for turning or entering or exiting ...if need be . $20 30 Inches high
All attatched to plywood floor piece to keep from tipping over .
Old 11-21-2017, 06:46 AM

Kitchen chair. I don't understand how anyone can play slouched in a sofa with a guitar balanced on a belly. 'Guitar stools', and anything 'designed' for playing a guitar on are an expense better employed elsewhere, in my opinion. John Williams, for example, is quite at home on a piano bench...

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-21-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:10 AM

Soundseat here.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM

Thumbs up for the price, works well

Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've used a Soundseat for fourteen years for all my extended playing.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I like to stand, but sitting on a kitchen chair with the strap on the guitar helps. I also have a pillow (that's actually for my classical guitar) that elevates the guitar nicely.

I read that a lot of players do it, but I can't imagine sitting back on my sofa and being able to play much - but that might be just for strumming. Whatever makes you happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Kitchen chair. I don't understand how anyone can play slouched in a sofa with a guitar balanced on a belly. 'Guitar stools', and anything 'designed' for playing a guitar on are an expense better employed elsewhere, in my opinion. John Williams, for example, is quite at home on a piano bench...
I'll echo these sentiments as well. Give me an old fashioned kitchen chair or bench. If my posterior goes numb (from sitting down too long) I'll either just get up and walk around while playing or saunter into the dining room to use one of the underutilized chairs in there. The key is employing a strap and adjusting it for playing in a seated position. If I do sit on my couch to play, I always sit on the edge and never in a "lounging" position. That's a good way to stain yourself.

Call me cheap or ignorant, but I see no benefit to thoseSoundseats. I know that they're highly regarded but I find them to be bulky and top heavy. When I sit on one I feel like I'm going to fall off the thing (just as with any stool) and in tight quarters they are just another thing to bump into. The fact that they swivel actually complicates things too. The less moving parts the better IMO.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 AM

My butt.

Well...you asked!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Gibraltar Drum Throne

Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM

These chairs are impressively comfortable and very sturdy. They are cheap and can be folded away when not in use. Just make sure you get this brand and not some other folding chair. The difference between this brand and others is like nignt and day.

https://mitylite.com/products/oneseries-pro/
Old 11-21-2017, 08:41 AM

I have an old office chair that I removed the arm rests from and I set that to the maximum height and then use a strap. My feet are on the floor but they are horizontal to the ground or sloping down from hip to knee which helps sit up nice and straight.

Anything like practicing in a hotel room I just stand up. I practice standing up about half the time anyway. Unless you've got a construction job or something all of us sit down plenty.

Couch and stuff is totally unworkable for me... I'll play bad and be afraid of getting hurt. It makes it really hard to elevate the neck at all.

One of my pet peeves is the place I take lessons has pretty crappy chairs for playing guitar! My teacher brought in his own chair since he's sitting there all day.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM

I use this antique Windsor chair ( for years!). Nice back support......normally with a small pillow for my butt! Works very well for me. Doesn't take up much space in my small office area.
[IMG][/IMG]
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Small swivel office chair with no arms. Works great.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Guest 2434

I use a roc & soc drum throne with a back rest. very comfortable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion