The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Default Would this qualify as an airline carryon "personal item"

So I can bring 1 carry on luggage and 1 personal item for free. The personal item can be a backpack. If I stuff my traveler guitar in the laptop sleeve of my backpack and let it stick out a bit just behind but below the top of my head and cover it with a t-shirt, would it still qualify as a "personal item". It doesnt fit the length, but I also read that some airlines let you take an instrument as a personal item if it can fit under the seat or easily stowed above, and this can. Any ideas? See the photos for how big it looks.

Side view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1mcyQ83m2qjQhBwm2

Back view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ysQs3MDU02opBoCI3
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Personal items are supposed to fit beneath the seat in front of you. Whether it goes there or can be put in the overhead is up to you and the flight staff. You can certainly use it as your carry on and put your backpack (personal item) under the seat in front of you.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve travelled numerous times on planes with my Composite Acoustics Cargo (travel size) guitar and have always been able to stow it in the overhead without problem. Of course, there are no guarantees, but your backpack arrangement looks like it should be accepted.

Btw, what kind of guitar is it?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 PM

I've travelled with a similar set up on dozens of flights over the years without an issue. I also make sure I smile and that I'm as polite and as friendly as possible to all if the airline personnel. Do it and good luck!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’ve travelled numerous times on planes with my Composite Acoustics Cargo (travel size) guitar and have always been able to stow it in the overhead without problem. Of course, there are no guarantees, but your backpack arrangement looks like it should be accepted.

Btw, what kind of guitar is it?
I've traveled internationally and within the US recently with the Journey OF660 travel guitar in it's case, always able to store it in overhead lockers and never had any problem with it getting through security. Even had room in it to store my laptop and prescription medications. And while spending hours waiting in the departure lounge it was nice to be able to take it out and quietly play it to while away the hours.

Last edited by tonyo; 11-21-2017 at 03:44 AM. Reason: added more to what I said
Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I've travelled with a similar set up on dozens of flights over the years without an issue. I also make sure I smile and that I'm as polite and as friendly as possible to all if the airline personnel. Do it and good luck!
You hit it on the head "smile" and be courteous. I travel as much as 4 to 6 times a month on planes and have carried my full size classical, my parlor, my OM and even my Dread. I have only had to check my guitar in once or twice. In every case, I have politely requested that they put it in the closet. Usually I will tell them the Value of the instrument and they are very understandable and will accommodate you. This is across different airlines and I am usually not in first class.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhurt888 View Post
So I can bring 1 carry on luggage and 1 personal item for free. The personal item can be a backpack. If I stuff my traveler guitar in the laptop sleeve of my backpack and let it stick out a bit just behind but below the top of my head and cover it with a t-shirt, would it still qualify as a "personal item". It doesnt fit the length, but I also read that some airlines let you take an instrument as a personal item if it can fit under the seat or easily stowed above, and this can. Any ideas? See the photos for how big it looks.

Side view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1mcyQ83m2qjQhBwm2

Back view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ysQs3MDU02opBoCI3
That would not be a personal item on any plane I’ve been on. Carry-on, yes.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:37 AM

How strictly or loosely the rules are followed it is open for interpretation by each air carrier. In addition, each flight in the same company is different depending on the aircraft size and the particular flight's specifics (full, 2/3 full, etc.). No matter what information you collect in this forum, the decision will be made at the gate by the agent, and latter on by the flight crew while entering the aircraft.

As a general opinion, some domestic U.S. carriers, as well as some international carriers will accept a guitar case as "carry-on" item considering your backpack as a "personal item". My experience with SWA and UA is great so far for domestic flights. Lufthansa also takes great care of my OM while flying overseas every time.

Golden Rule: NEVER ARGUE WITH ANY FLIGHT CREW.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Here's a tip for you, when flying, whether you are trying to bring an instrument on board or not.

Flight attendants are not supposed to take tips (bet you didn't know that), even though they are basically 'wait staff' for part of the flight.
Whenever I fly, I buy a few small bags of Lindt Truffles (chocolate), and keep them in my carryon backpack.
As I board the plane, there are always 1 or 2 flight attendants greeting you inside the plane, I hand one of them a bag of truffles and say 'this is for you and the rest of the crew to share'. Almost every time they'll ask me where I'm sitting, and I get nothing but good service and smiles during the flight, and sometimes bonus goodies (snacks when no one else gets them, or a tablet to watch movies when they normally charge for it), too.
The bags of chocolates cost about $4, so its not much of an added expense compared to the overall cost of the flight.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 11-22-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Here's the actual federal Rule concerning carry-on instruments:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

Keep in mind that regional jets do not have large overhead bins, and any overhead space is first-come, first-served. It pays to get priority boarding when you book your flight. Also, gate-checking is a less onerous option than checking a guitar and having it go through the entire airport bag handling system.

Still, because of the Rule, flying with a guitar is easier now. Have a copy of the above webpage on your phone when flying, but be nice to your crew!
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the tips. Regarding the guitar, its a Traveler Escape Mark III. I like it. Liked the sound of the Taylor GS Mini's, but a bit too big. The Cordoba Mini's are small but I can't adjust to the sound of nylon strings. The Traveler size is nice and small but still has that acoustic steel string sound, low maintenance, plus its pretty quiet un-amped which can be very useful sometimes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion