The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I found that taking just a couple of lessons noticeably improved my singing. Learning how to breathe and where your voice comes from is a big help.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
That's me.
One thing becomes clear as I record myself more, mostly to listen for mistakes, timing, etc.
I have a crappy voice.
I seem to be almost monotone.
You are not alone. I feel your pain. Good luck and let me know what helped.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 11-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Maybe this has been said. Don't stretch out the words keep them short. The longer you sustain the words the more glaring being out of tune will be. If you sing in tune and don't like your voice then reevaluate the material you play. Play material to is fitting for your voice. Don't play stuff that has been created for pretty sounding voices.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-05-2017, 08:08 AM

Many moons ago my Ex wife told me I couldn't sing. So, considering she had an excellent trained voice, I believed her and didn't try for another 20 plus years. Then I tried again and started recording myself on my phone. I was able to hear the problems and started practicing over and over. Sometimes I would transpose the chords to find a key that fit my voice better. Sometimes I found that tuning down a half step helped. Now if I play out somewhere I get compliments.
I would encourage you to take a few voice lessons. I wish I had and may still.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
That's me.
One thing becomes clear as I record myself more, mostly to listen for mistakes, timing, etc.
I have a crappy voice.
I seem to be almost monotone.

There is some famous players with less than ideal voices.
How do they do it?

Tips?
The vast majority of both Rock and Roll and The Blues is not sung with the sweet crooning vocal style like the softer sweeter pop music from the 50's was...

Think of Jim Croce, David Bowie, and Stephen Tyler from Aerosmith.... Those guys have beautiful crooning voices and really can sing... But that's not what made them money.

Think of the old Blues Men - with rough gravely voices.... Guys like leadbelly and lightning hopkins... Or even the old blues women who basically shouted....
Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Tips for when you know that you have a lousy voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I found that taking just a couple of lessons noticeably improved my singing. Learning how to breathe and where your voice comes from is a big help.
I found this to be true, however, for me it took 6 months of lessons and I probably should have gone longer.

Tips for when you know that you have a lousy voice?

Conversely, if you truly have a lousy voice, one beyond reasonably redemption, just stop singing, at least in public. Concentrate on improving your guitar playing. Let the guitar be your voice. Of course it depends upon if you want to truly sing, or simply shout and scream or chant like seemingly most "singers" do these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write