The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
What really fascinates me is what different people think is good.

I've never heard the song, never heard of the singer, nor of the band.

And now that I've heard it, I must say, I don't care to ever hear it again. As a talent agent I wouldn't have found anything there of interest.

It is fascinating what different people think is good. . Musical tastes run an incredibly wide and long gamut.
That's easy, really. Most people identify with the music they came up with. You might say they re programed to what they "like". Kind of a sheep mentality kind of thing.

Back in the day parents for the most part had a 1950's conservative view on music and with the "British Invasion" and what youth orientated music was doing here you might say that the "Pat Boone" crowd was a bit overwhelmed. I remember my dad telling me that the Beatles sounded like they did was because they had cheap guitars. A bold faced lie but after all, he was trying to save me from an eternity of burning in hell.

I think that producers of the day thought if they could produce music that was soulless and vanilla enough to not offend the "Pat Boone" crowd and sell it to the kids, they would make just a ton of money.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 01-16-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
That's easy, really. Most people identify with the music they came up with. You might say they re programed to what they "like". Kind of a sheep mentality kind of thing.

Back in the day parents for the most part had a 1950's conservative view on music and with the "British Invasion" and what youth orientated music was doing here you might say that the "Pat Boone" crowd was a bit overwhelmed.

I think that producers of the day thought if they could produce music that was soulless and vanilla enough to not offend the "Pat Boone" crowd and sell it to the kids, they would make just a ton of money.
That's a pretty accurate understanding I reckon. Youth is such a powerfully absorbing time that it's a very individual young thinker who will go against the flow of their peers.
Having said that, I think people younger than me (which is nearly everyone) are more broad minded that I was/we were.
There has usually been some generational revolution in the arts going on but I think the 50's and 60's last century were such a standout time that maybe kids of that era can be excused for some extra sheeplike narrow mindedness.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 AM

When I see a guy wearing a girls coat my brain turns off.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3seWkNbyKMs

I know, I know...Duran Duran. But both the bassist (John Taylor) and the lead at that time (Andy Taylor) could rip up a stage. John was a guitarist-he switched to bass because it was "easier".

I always liked the sorrowful tone of this version.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayper View Post

I know, I know...Duran Duran. But both the bassist (John Taylor) and the lead at that time (Andy Taylor) could rip up a stage. John was a guitarist-he switched to bass because it was "easier".

Saw them twice in March of...82? Spectrum in Philly. Two of the most professional shows I've ever seen. Really good band.

rct
Old 01-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayper View Post

Been a big fan since I was a wee lad. They were/are fantastic musicians despite the pretty boy image that was bestowed upon them.

Some guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion