The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Guest 5325

Default AM Radio interference with Radial Tonebone PZ Deluxe

Hey all,

I just recently purchased a Radial Tonebone PZ Deluxe acoustic preamp/DI. I've owned one of these in the past, and really liked it's simplicity and great tone, so I just snagged a used one off of Reverb a few days ago.

I was in my studio yesterday morning dialing it in to use with my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME, and while working the knobs, I noticed every now and then, I'd start hearing one of my local AM radio stations sounding through my PA's loudspeakers. After some trial and error, I noticed it only happened when the bare skin of my hand would touch the metal housing of the PZ Deluxe. If I touched the knobs only, it would be silent. I tried swapping out guitar cords, as well as XLR cords that connected the PZ Deluxe to my Carvin powered mixer, but I still get the radio interference. I also tried the ground lift, as well as all of the sliders on the PZ Deluxe. I did notice that if I touched the metal housing of the PZ Deluxe with something non-conductive, that the signal remained silent and would not bleed the radio station into the speakers.

The wiring of my house is only 6 years old, and since none of my other electronic devices in my studio give me any issues, I'm pointing my finger at the PZ Deluxe.

I've sent an email to Radial Engineering regarding this, but am still waiting for a response. Just wondering if anyone out there has ran into this issue with their Radial preamp/DI, or any other brand for that matter.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Your best bet would be an RFI choke for starters. Radio Shack always had a few different kinds cheap, but they're mostly not around any more. Amazon has a 10 pack relatively cheap, depends if your cable will fit in the core. Need to put one on the cables in different spots to see what eliminates the interference.
https://www.amazon.com/stardrift-10-...ords=RFI+Choke
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Guest 5325

Thanks, Brad. I had no idea such a thing existed. I bought this pedal used on Reverb.com, and think I'm going to take advantage of the return policy. I had a PZ Deluxe a few years back, and never experienced this issue with that particular pedal. Think I might look into a new pedal, just to be sure there are no underlying problems from the get go.

I did hear back from Radial Engineering, and they said I'd have to send it into them to have them go through it and see what's going on with it. Don't want to get into that - rather just return this and get new model.

Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 AM

Does it still happen if there is no guitar cord plugged into either input?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Guest 5325

Hi MikeB,

Yes. I tried different guitar cords, and then no guitar cord at all (just the PZ Deluxe connected to the powered mixer with an XLR cord), and I still had the radio signal coming through the speakers.

I actually ended up sending the unit back for a refund, since I was still within the return period. Have never had issues with Radial pedals before, so this was quite odd to me. Got my sights set on an LR Baggs Venue, so hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification