The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Default PB Strings /Aren't They All The Same?

Just plain PB strings, not blends and in the same gauges would seem to me to be all the same.
We are now open for discussion.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM

There's a lot more goes in to designing of a string than materials: ratio of wrap to core, tension of the wrap, consistency of wrap tension, etc. At least two makers that come to mind (DR and John Pearce) claim that their wound strings are wrapped tighter than those of other makers. Then there's the quality of the core wire. Is it drawn through new dies that make for intended profile?

Bottom line: I've used PB strings for over forty years, and I can promise you, there is a brand-to-brand difference.

Jon Z.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Yep. There's absolutely a difference from brand to brand.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM

The plain strings are just steel. So they are all pretty much the same, though there are some slight differences in sone brands, based on steel quality, production methods, treatments, etc.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 AM

I once bought some bulk strings from a local tech.
They were D'Addario PB medium strings.
When I went back to get more, he had changed to Martin PB strings.
The Martin strings sounded different.
I liked the D'Addario strings more.

No idea why they were different but they were.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 AM

The materials are probably much the same or the same in a lot of cases but things like dimensions, construction methods and coatings vary. You can see tension and diameter vary with different products.

I sure find differences between all the round core versions I've tried and hex or shaped core wire. The coatings have different feels. Some keep a brighter sound longer even different brands still stay in tune.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

D'Addario PB lights (EJ-16) and mediums (EJ-17) are my go to strings. I will occasionally use John Pearse PB .12/.13's as well. Some guitars just like certain string sets better?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
D'Addario PB lights (EJ-16) and mediums (EJ-17) are my go to strings. I will occasionally use John Pearse PB .12/.13's as well. Some guitars just like certain string sets better?
im using the EJ-16's right now and I really like them...especially for 3 sets for 11$
Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
im using the EJ-16's right now and I really like them...especially for 3 sets for 11$

EJ-16 is a really good string, and a real bang for the buck...I always keep a few sets around...

But because I don't like changing strings all the time, I mainly use Elixer and Lifespan PB.. plus they give me the sound and feel I like best...
Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Just plain PB strings, not blends and in the same gauges would seem to me to be all the same.
We are now open for discussion.
No, that isn’t true at all. That’s like saying all tomato-based spaghetti sauces are the same: they might look identical, or similar, but there are a wide range of different ingredient profiles and flavors that can found with the various commercial spaghetti sauces you can buy.

Same thing with phosphor bronze strings. The D’Addario phosphors have a more pronounced treble response than the John Pearse phosphors, which have more low end response and overall tonal complexity than the D’Addarios. Those two sets are strikingly different from each other.

You’ll find that not all phosphor bronze strings available produce as dramatic a contrast with each other as those two. But the different brands of phosphor bronze strings on the market are definitely NOT all the same thing.

Seriously, get a set each of the D’Addario and the John Pearse phosphors, and try each set in rapid succession on the same guitar. You’ll find that they’re quite different from each other.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Thanks Wade.
I did put a set of John Pearse 80-20's on recently,13-56's and was pleasantly surprised at how rich they sound. I am not a big fan of 80-20's generally.
I may try the regular PB's but these sound really good on my D18.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 PM

For the longest time I heard Wade singing the praises of JP strings, and I think he was open about being some kind of an endorser for them, if I’m not mistaken.
Doesn’t matter, because I gave them a try and have never looked back.
The PB lights sound great on my Pono 00, and the 80/20’s are awesome on my daughter’s D35.
Thanks Wade
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM

I'm actually a fan of the John Pearce as well based on Wade's recommendation. Sitka over brw om, sound awesome.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeak99 View Post
For the longest time I heard Wade singing the praises of JP strings, and I think he was open about being some kind of an endorser for them, if I’m not mistaken.
Doesn’t matter, because I gave them a try and have never looked back.
The PB lights sound great on my Pono 00, and the 80/20’s are awesome on my daughter’s D35.
Thanks Wade
You'e welcome, and you're correct, I am an artist endorser for John Pearse strings and accessories.

Some twenty years ago now I was active on an acoustic guitar-oriented Usenet newsgroup called "rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic," which we all referred to as "RMMGA" for short. Larry Pattis, who is also active on this forum, was active on RMMGA, and he always made it very clear that he was an artist endorser for Elixir strings.

There was another guy on there who was always recommending a certain product, even when the discussions weren't actually about what he was recommending: he'd just shoehorn it in, anyway. Later, when it turned out that he was also a dealer for this product, there was quite a flame war that followed. (No moderators on Usenet, even though it would have been nice to have them.) But I saw then that trying to hide any connections one might have was a bad idea.

So a year or two later, when John Pearse himself decided to make me an artist endorser for the brand, I decided to follow Larry's practice and alway make it clear that I was an endorser, as opposed to the other guy who tried to hide his connection and essentially got chased off RMMGA for being deceptive.

Anyway, the reason that I endorse John Pearse strings is that I honestly find them to be the best-sounding strings on the market. I also get excellent string life from them.

So I'm glad you all like them. I sure do.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Most of the guys on the Collings forum rave about JP strings, and I tried them once - but can't remember them being particularly different, and have used D'addario EJ16s and EJ17s on my guitars for ages. another aspect is that JPs are almost twce the price of D'adds.

However based on Wade's comments I have just ordered two setts of 700Ms to try on a hog and a rose dreadnought to research the matter once more.

Wade - if I don't like 'em - you owe me £24 !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion