The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
I own 2 of them and think you get more for your money with goodall than others boutique guitars whether they are cheaper or more expensive. I love them. It is my favorite neck shape and factory setup with low action. They are artworks.
My best friend just found out he has cancer and has always admired my Koa/adi concert jumbo. I gave it to him yesterday. I am so happy this guitar lifted his spirits even if it is for a short time. Giving it to him has lifted mine. Pics later if interested. If you buy them without the fancy top and some extras they are reasonable.
That is probably more rewarding than playing that Goodall yourself. I’m sorry for your friend’s diagnosis, but so great that you can share something to make him smile and enjoy.

Love my Goodall, and I think the reason the commentary leans general (in reponse to Pitar) is they’re one of those makes that are consistently unique in that multi-dimensional tone — every one I’ve played (only about 8-10) has been rich, and yes with the layered overtones even on the basic hog I played, and of course incredible build quality. They don’t sound like other classic models, golden era this or pre-war that, etc, but make their own statement. I’d like to play some Olsons and Froggies to see if I come away with the same magical wow.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-13-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Goodalls

I've owned a couple, Hawaiian-made. They are truly outstanding. The one i have left will easily hold its own with any guitar I have, whether you are talking tone, volume, workmanship or playability. However, I don't find it over-rich with either overtones or sustain (it's POC over mahogany). It is simply really, really good. At the time I bought it, they were similar in price to other boutique brands - SCGC, Collins, H & D, Bourgeois, Froggies...

Since then, Goodall has moved to California, leaving all his employees behind. Just James and Luke moved and naturally their production dropped. Remember the law of supply and demand? Their prices rose, as I'd predicted. I have not played any of the California ones, so cannot answer to whether they are even better now. If they are, it's quite an accomplishment: their Hawaiian ones would be a very hard act to follow.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 PM

They are so awesome! I had a Sitka/Indian RW CJ, and the one I should have never sold was a Cedar/Koa GC.

Have you watched this?

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Thoughts on Goodall Guitars?

I think about them regularly...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Makes me wonder:

first - how much difference there is between the Hawaiian made and the California ones. I know it's an "ear of the beholder" kind of thing, but I respect the ears on this board

second - when did they make the move to the mainland?

Dan
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Makes me wonder:

first - how much difference there is between the Hawaiian made and the California ones. I know it's an "ear of the beholder" kind of thing, but I respect the ears on this board

second - when did they make the move to the mainland?

Dan
Early 2009

Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 PM

Out of hundreds of fine guitars, my 2002 Goodall RGCC is the one I miss the most. If you see her, tell her I’m sorry.

2002 GOODALL RGCC 1.jpg
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 PM

HOF Dad, Fitness answered your question about when they moved. I don’t know if what I can tell you about pre-move versus post-move Goodall guitars will satisfy you, but having played lots of pre-move and maybe four or five post-move Goodalls, all I can say is that they all sounded like Goodall guitars. There were no detectable differences in tone or playability that I could discern.

Bear in mind that I haven’t owned any, whether pre- or post-move, and I have never gigged with any. So perhaps some discerning Goodall owners who have extensive experience with both can point out some subtleties that I have missed. But all that I’ve ever had my hands on have been very fine guitars, regardless of the era or location where they were made.

In other words, this isn’t like pre-CBS versus post-CBS Fenders, or pre-Norlin versus Norlin-era Gibson’s. A Goodall guitar seems to be a Goodall guitar, whether made in California or Hawaii.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
... Have you watched this? ...
GREAT video. Thanks for posting. Man, if I ever win the lottery...
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM

I've played several in shops but settled on other purchases. I would agree with the posts that suggest that Goodall's build quality matches truly boutique makers while the price is more reasonable; however, it's also true that many other somewhat larger shops produce guitars that are good alternatives to Goodall at more manageable prices. The ones I played were great, but I preferred the balance of fundamental/overtones on, one time, a Martin, and another, a Collings. The better prices on both were for me secondary, but still nice.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My best friend just found out he has cancer and has always admired my Koa/adi concert jumbo. I gave it to him yesterday. I am so happy this guitar lifted his spirits even if it is for a short time. Giving it to him has lifted mine.
What a kind gesture. For me there would be nothing better than to fight through that roller coaster illness than to play such a great guitar from a great friend. Wade is right on this Spruce/Koa combo.

Last week I bought a 2006, Goodall Adi/Cocobolo Traditional Dread. I am having James do a repair before I receive it in. I hope it sounds like the 2005, 000, German/Cocobolo that I tried 3 years ago. That one had the rosewood lushness but with a very interesting bright set of frequencies that I have never heard before or since. I called it a rattlesnake sizzle to the owner sitting across from me smiling.

Baimo I hope your friend is comforted.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I have read the same about the Hawaiian made Goodalls. It seems it was more like a factory and the craftsmanship was not there. I have become a recent convert and both guitars are California made. The koa one was NOS 2015 I bought in March and I got a really nice discount. the other one was brand new, made a week before Rudy's received it.I was only able to get 10% off on that one as that is Goodall's MAP That one is walnut/adi and to me, they are the easiest most comfortable guitars I have ever played. They were both Concert Jumbo. I was able to purchase the NOS KOA one for much less than James Goodall would appreciate it being sold for
I cant imagine anything that would be as or more comfortable than Goodall CJ,
but I am dying for a chance to try their dread and Standard models.
Here is a pic of my remaining Walnut. Koa is gone
Turning out 5-6 guitars a week is hardly a factory. "The craftsmanship was not there"! That's patently false and represents a complete lack of understanding of the subject. James Goodall's guitar are and always have been, at the pinnacle of the luthiers art.

The best Goodall I've ever played was made in Hawaii.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
HOF Dad, Fitness answered your question about when they moved. I don’t know if what I can tell you about pre-move versus post-move Goodall guitars will satisfy you, but having played lots of pre-move and maybe four or five post-move Goodalls, all I can say is that they all sounded like Goodall guitars. There were no detectable differences in tone or playability that I could discern.

Bear in mind that I haven’t owned any, whether pre- or post-move, and I have never gigged with any. So perhaps some discerning Goodall owners who have extensive experience with both can point out some subtleties that I have missed. But all that I’ve ever had my hands on have been very fine guitars, regardless of the era or location where they were made.

In other words, this isn’t like pre-CBS versus post-CBS Fenders, or pre-Norlin versus Norlin-era Gibson’s. A Goodall guitar seems to be a Goodall guitar, whether made in California or Hawaii.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade - something I read earlier in this thread gave me the impression there was a difference.
I'd love to find a few to play myself............someday.

Dan
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM

Yeah, I missed that comment earlier, but have to disagree: the craftsmanship on Hawaiian-made Goodalls was excellent. So is the craftsmanship on the current California-made Goodalls.

Seriously, this is a discussion about some superlative guitars, and I honestly don't see any need to go splitting hairs about any of them. I mean, I understand it from an entertainment standpoint, as in "let's engage in a rarefied discussion about some guitars that most people have never even had the chance to play."

But I think it's pretty silly, frankly. I've played some Goodall guitars that I've liked less than other Goodall guitars, but it would be very strange if I hadn't....

Short version: we can all dance the Internet minuet arguing over perceived yet tiny incremental differences between one set of Goodall guitars versus another, but I've never noticed any tonal differences between one Goodall guitar and the next that couldn't be attributed to the differences in the individual sets of wood that were used to construct them.

Regardless of where and when they were built. The tonal consistency Mr. Goodall has been able to achieve for some twenty or thirty years now is quite remarkable. Whether it's been him working by himself (first California sojourn) working with a small crew (Hawaii) or working with his son (second California sojourn.) Wherever and whenever they were built, Goodall guitars sound like......Goodall guitars!

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

I love my Collings, but like to have a few different guitars voiced differently for different kinds of music (I sing). My Collings OM2H is a great general guitar, and I can use my D35 as a bluegrass guitar, but for certain songs I like a slightly different sound. Right now I love my Breedlove Master Series Revival OOO....cocobolo and Adirondak...but I don't prefer the neck. So, having played around with several different alternatives, I'm thinking about Goodall --if I can find the right one--in large part because I live 2 minutes away from where the Goodalls make them...So, I can spend some time there and could even work with them to customize one. When I say they haven't blown me away, it is really that I've only had the chance to spend a couple minutes with two different Goodalls, neither of which would be the right kind of guitar, and didn't see immediately why they would command such an elevated price relative to the Collings.
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion