The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Goodall Guitars?

I have an ulterior motive behind this question...I am thinking of experimenting with a Goodall....but I have questions.

First, why do they seem to command street and used prices in the 150% range over guitars like Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois etc? I need to spend more time with a few, but the ones I have played, while very nice, did not blow me away on first play.

Second, has anyone noticed any change in the guitars since James Goodall has brought son Luke into the shop more, and is presumably grooming him as heir apparent?
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Like your Collings, Goodall makes great guitars. I think one would compliment your collection. In general most models have a more modern sound than Collings. You might want to try a real responsive design that can have overtones? This is a treat. Sometimes taming, sometimes featuring, blooming tone palettes. Like a piano with the sustain pedal on. Right hand technique is a treat.

The new ones (2009-) are nice. I have tried 4. The old ones are nice. I have tried 20.
There is a lot of talk about the era's but only a few people have played 100's of these. You might look at the AGF Goodall link? Or give Jean Goodall a call like I did this week. She is very knowledgable and super nice.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 PM

I've owned a few and that was because I considered them a step above the ones you mention.

I think they're more hand made than those you mention and that translates into the sound and quality being better, IMO.

The market agrees.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieDave View Post
..I am thinking of experimenting with a Goodall..... the ones I have played, while very nice, did not blow me away on first play...
What then would cause you to want to "experiment" with one?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Dave, I've never owned any Goodalls, but I've played lots of them. They typically have a lush, rich, overtone-heavy sound that's perfect for some styles of playing. The rosewood Goodalls I've had my hands on take this tonal richness to a further degree than the mahogany or koa Goodalls I've played.

To my mind, where Mr. Goodall and his son excel is at building guitars with koa backs and sides. No other small shop operation seems to get such consistently excellent results with koa, whether all-koa guitars with koa tops, or spruce or cedar-topped guitars with koa backs and sides. So if you are considering getting a Goodall guitar, make certain to try at least a couple of koa examples.

My own preference is for their guitars with spruce tops over koa backs and sides.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Goodall

Phenomenal guitars. I would encourage you to find a shop that carries them and make a trip to try some. Definitely worth the cost of admission.

I owned a Standard for a while. Just too much guitar for me, I was afraid to take it out and play it. But the tone, definition and sustain were fantastic.

I think the necks are a bit thinner now than before, that may be one of the changes you might have heard about since his son is more active with them. Other than that I haven't heard of anything to be concerned about.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new

Last edited by Athens; 01-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Musical minimalist

I've owned a couple dozen over the years - agree with Wade in that the better ones to my ear were the Parlors and GC's in spruce and Mahogany or Koa. Only had one Rosewood (Madi w/engelmann) that I found had enough fundamental for me, and it was a parlor. I had one Koa/Sitka CJ that was pretty darn nice too.

Generally speaking, the larger guitars in rosewoods just got too muddy in the mids for me after the strings got played in.

I haven't owned one in about 7-8 years after a very strange interaction with James. Vowed I'd never support them again.

Used market value has gone up a good amount since they've come back to the mainland and production has gone down.

Last edited by fitness1; 01-13-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:57 PM

What amazes me about James Goodall is the way he is able to make guitars that
have such clarity combined with lush overtones.
In my opinion, they sound as good as any high end boutique
guitars that cost considerably more. I have played a lot of guitars that cost
over $10,000 that did not compare (to my ears and preference). Workmanship
is flawless with great attention to detail. They are not overly ornate, the time
and money is spent on woods used and shaping the braces, thinning the tops, etc. It seems like I continually find subtle nuances of sound that come out of
my Goodall, even after years of owning it.

Here is a little instrumental I wrote and recorded on my Goodall Rosewood
Standard. It's a big guitar, but is easy to play, sounds great strummed or
fingerstyle.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/n...nnings-goodall
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I own 2 of them and think you get more for your money with goodall than others boutique guitars whether they are cheaper or more expensive. I love them. It is my favorite neck shape and factory setup with low action. They are artworks.
My best friend just found out he has cancer and has always admired my Koa/adi concert jumbo. I gave it to him yesterday. I am so happy this guitar lifted his spirits even if it is for a short time. Giving it to him has lifted mine. Pics later if interested. If you buy them without the fancy top and some extras they are reasonable.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM

Hopefully you've seen the Goodall video on uTube that shows how their guitars are made. They say they make 2 guitars a week and it's only James and Luke.
The guitars you are comparing them to are made in small factories that are presumably more efficient. I believe that's where the price difference comes in.
I have only played Hawaiian Goodalls and they were mostly too bright and harmonically rich for my taste.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

From what I've heard over the net via videos they are really nice, but over my paygrade.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM

I think Goodalls are VERY SPECIAL; the most pleasing/easiest to play of any guitar I have owned, and for me, the tone is enchanting. I have played 3 Froggy Bottoms, and they are the only guitars I have played that is equally enchanting (but they are enchanting in a different way). Of course, there are a lot of guitar makers that I haven't had a chance to try.

I own 2 Collings, and they are great guitars...but I don't find them "enchanting". And the Bourgeois guitars I have played were also great, but not enchanting (for me).

Are Goodalls worth their price? That is up to you to decide for yourself. I am happy that I have mine.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:38 PM

This thread seems to generalize and I can't understand why. Most other brand threads focus on particular models but this one departs from that to, seemingly, intentionally generalize so I have to suspect there's more to the bent of this thread than meets the eye.

The Goodall I had (for 10 years) was an RCJC (Spruce/EIR, jumbo concert cutaway). I bought it because it was the cutest puppy in the shop, meaning, it blew away the other boutique builds hanging in company with it. Then, my muse changed, I left steel string guitars for classical, and the Goodall left my employ with time well served.

I also experimented with my Goodall. I traveled with it in search of something better. Several day trips were made chasing down various other boutique builder's wares to A/B them against the RCJC. I was even offered decent trade deals by some of the smaller shops and one private seller. That was my plan but nothing was remarkably better to my ears and hands, and the Goodall name, generally speaking, held better value than competitive names.

All that said, the RCJC was a gifted sound but it wasn't for everything, or everyone. No single unplugged acoustic guitar is. This is why I have switched to a nylon string classical with electronics and cutaway. The compromise is much more pragmatic than the continuing sage of searching for a perfect sound.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Goodalls are unique. Do not compare them with SCGC, Collings, H&D, or Bourgeois. They have wonderful overtones and way too much sustain for my taste. I tried 3 instruments for hours with different wood combos. One was a jumbo. The best sounding jumbo I ever heard. Nobody can work koa like Goodall IMO. I felt that the sound was way to big for my taste, but it was amazingly beautiful.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Hopefully you've seen the Goodall video on uTube that shows how their guitars are made. They say they make 2 guitars a week and it's only James and Luke.
The guitars you are comparing them to are made in small factories that are presumably more efficient. I believe that's where the price difference comes in.
I have only played Hawaiian Goodalls and they were mostly too bright and harmonically rich for my taste.
I have read the same about the Hawaiian made Goodalls. It seems it was more like a factory and the craftsmanship was not there. I have become a recent convert and both guitars are California made. The koa one was NOS 2015 I bought in March and I got a really nice discount. the other one was brand new, made a week before Rudy's received it.I was only able to get 10% off on that one as that is Goodall's MAP That one is walnut/adi and to me, they are the easiest most comfortable guitars I have ever played. They were both Concert Jumbo. I was able to purchase the NOS KOA one for much less than James Goodall would appreciate it being sold for
I cant imagine anything that would be as or more comfortable than Goodall CJ,
but I am dying for a chance to try their dread and Standard models.
Here is a pic of my remaining Walnut. Koa is gone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion