The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 PM

Default We don't give ourselves enough credit

Occurred to me that in my drive to be better than I'm probably capable of I forget to appreciate what I've accomplished. Remember to enjoy what you've accomplished now without worrying about how much better you want to be.

Just a thought I had that might be worth sharing
Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM

Well said, and a great reminder.

Steve
Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 PM

I used to be guilty of that, not anymore.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 PM

I'm realistic to know I am not destined to be a great player. But, I play better than I ever though I would and within my circles, I am not thought to suck. I play well enough to entertain myself. I'm OK with all that.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I used to be guilty of that, not anymore.
Yea. It's a step you need to take.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 PM

Talking

I'm guilty of getting caught up in what I'm doing, and not looking back at what I've done. In my case, it's amazing to see what I've accomplished in the last few years....I'd bet a few others have made some remarkable progress too
Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 AM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Occurred to me that in my drive to be better than I'm probably capable of I forget to appreciate what I've accomplished. Remember to enjoy what you've accomplished now without worrying about how much better you want to be.

Just a thought I had that might be worth sharing
Yeah, you can appreciate what you've accomplished for like 2 minutes. Go ahead, make it 2 minutes a day if you like. And then it should be back to work. Hard work.

I equate "worrying about how much better you want to be" with the concept of "drive." And that concept has brought me from being a three chord strummer to being a classical player....who now wants to be a better classical player.

I loathe "resting on one's laurels" because it doesn't get any work done. For some, this is the difference between YMMV, your mileage may vary and YMMRV, your mileage may really vary.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post
Yeah, you can appreciate what you've accomplished for like 2 minutes. Go ahead, make it 2 minutes a day if you like. And then it should be back to work. Hard work.

I equate "worrying about how much better you want to be" with the concept of "drive." And that concept has brought me from being a three chord strummer to being a classical player....who now wants to be a better classical player.

I loathe "resting on one's laurels" because it doesn't get any work done. For some, this is the difference between YMMV, your mileage may vary and YMMRV, your mileage may really vary.
I can only have 2 minutes?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post

There are many drives that can foster development, and even expertise; one doesn't need to be miserly in one's recognition and appreciation of progress (and perhaps even experience gratitude for the fruits of one's hard work) in order to experience noteworthy (or even phenomenal) development of one's skills and knowledge. Indeed, appreciation can help one play with greater confidence, which usually enhances execution/performance.

I understand that your approach works for you, and probably many others. I'm just saying that is not the only path to excellence.

Also, I think we have to respect that each person has a different space in their life for making music. To map out the extremes: if you have a complex life with multiple other pursuits and responsibilities (say a professional career, a family situation that is temporarily or permanently difficult, a vast network of friends, and at least one other hobby that is equal in value to your interest in guitars and music) the space you have for mastering guitar will have a different shape and size than a person who has a simple life that is strongly oriented towards developing as a musician, finding work as a musician, and spending time in a network of friends who are primarily musicians.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I can only have 2 minutes?
Well, I wouldn't spend a whole lot more time on it.

Playing inherently has its own positive feedback loop whether it be strumming three chords, or fingerpicking a Bach invention. I think that self appreciation happens and is immediate when you learn a new technique or chord or song, but doesn't need to be dwelt on to sustain the desire to play and get better. It is its own reward.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I'm guilty of getting caught up in what I'm doing, and not looking back at what I've done. In my case, it's amazing to see what I've accomplished in the last few years....I'd bet a few others have made some remarkable progress too
Well said. For me "remarkable" no but am looking forward to slowly getting better this year.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:43 PM

I never took myself seriously from the start as a musician but I did have some serious respect for the art form. So, instead of seeking musician status I lowered my sights and have been satisfied as just a guitar player.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 PM

Obsession has a way of interfering with enjoyment. Where we derive our self-worth from shouldn't, in my opinion, be mostly about accomplishments, but since that's the subject ...

I'd be an amazing player if that's how I'd chosen to spend my time , but I didn't. Not too logical to regret not being amazing, then, but it does pop up.
It's weird, the thing I am amazing at, it just doesn't seem as "cool" (or something) as musicianship, so it's taken time to appreciate my accomplishments in that area. I like being motivated, but not self-critical to the point of non-enjoyment.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Obsession has a way of interfering with enjoyment. Where we derive our self-worth from shouldn't, in my opinion, be mostly about accomplishments, but since that's the subject ...

I'd be an amazing player if that's how I'd chosen to spend my time , but I didn't. Not too logical to regret not being amazing, then, but it does pop up.
It's weird, the thing I am amazing at, it just doesn't seem as "cool" (or something) as musicianship, so it's taken time to appreciate my accomplishments in that area. I like being motivated, but not self-critical to the point of non-enjoyment.
Nicely expressed.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm realistic to know I am not destined to be a great player. But, I play better than I ever though I would and within my circles, I am not thought to suck. I play well enough to entertain myself. I'm OK with all that.
I'm in the same exact place. There are times that I get frustrated and think I suck but there are times that I impress myself by learning songs I've previously labeled impossible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic