The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: How Much Is Your Current Acoustic Guitar Inventory Worth?
Less then $0.00 1 0.79%
Less than $1000.00 8 6.30%
Between $1000.00 and $2500.00 12 9.45%
Between $2500.00 and $5000.00 24 18.90%
Between $5000.00 and $10,000.00 17 13.39%
Between $10,000.00 and $25,000.00 33 25.98%
More then $25,000 16 12.60%
I'd Rather Not Say 16 12.60%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2017, 08:31 PM

There are four distinct values. What you paid for them, what you think they're worth if you sold them, what buyers think they're worth if they buy them and what they are worth to you as keepers.

I answered the poll with what I thought I could sell them for. Some actually have gone up a little in value from what I paid for them, I think.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:22 PM

I don’t see why anyone should take exception to this thread...
It’s an ANONYMOUS poll about the current worth of our ACOUSTIC guitar collections.
To me that means putting a realistic cash value on them in the (hopefully hypothetical ) event of having to sell them all today,
not their sentimental value, or what you paid for them.
I think it is a topic of legitimate interest to us guitar geeks.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Simple answer. Not enough.
An equally simple answer (other side of the coin) Less than I think!

Assuming we are talking about monetary worth...
Old 12-31-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I don’t see why anyone should take exception to this thread...
It’s an ANONYMOUS poll
about the current worth of our ACOUSTIC guitar collections.
To me that means putting a realistic cash value on them in the (hopefully hypothetical ) event of having to sell them all today,
not their sentimental value, or what you paid for them.
I think it is a topic of legitimate interest to us guitar geeks.
I agree with this. I don’t get it.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:24 PM

My acoustic guitars are worth an awful lot to me. That's why I have them. To someone else, they might be worth a lot less. I don't mind. I don't think I will be selling them any time soon, anyway. (My son, who plays guitar well, will inherit my instruments when I am done with them. He can decide what best to do with them.)

cotten
Old 12-31-2017, 08:25 PM

So many people ignoring the OP’s question and getting with the spirit of the thread, just giving coy, random, answers about the sentimental value of their trombones, Stratocasters, Marshall stacks , whatever....

Is this what the whole of 2018 is gonna be like ? Get back on point people... What are your acoustic guitars worth if you had to sell them today ?

I’ve got about five grand’s worth myself , (not counting the Steinway, harpsichord, sousaphone, mandolin, hand tooled leather straps, capos, Snarks, Tonerites, DAB radio and all the harmonicas*)

Happy New Year Everybody !

* The second hand Harmonica market has always been very poor, in spite of their immense historical value.

Last edited by Long Jon; 12-31-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
...Is this what the whole of 2018 is gonna be like ? Get back on point people... What are your acoustic guitars worth if you had to sell them today ?...
Yes, this is exactly what 2018 is likely to be like: people responding in conversation they way they prefer. Thus it has always been, thus it will always be. I rather like this freedom.

cotten
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Yes, this is exactly what 2018 is likely to be like: people responding in conversation they way they prefer. Thus it has always been, thus it will always be. I rather like this freedom.

cotten
Me too John, let’s keep it random and rambling around here.

Sometimes I forget to put a smiley face on my posts, but please take it as read that there always is one !

Happy new year to you
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 PM

Thanks, Long Jon, to you, too, my friend!

cotten
Old 01-01-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
So many people ignoring the OP’s question and getting with the spirit of the thread, just giving coy, random, answers about the sentimental value of their trombones, Stratocasters, Marshall stacks , whatever....

Is this what the whole of 2018 is gonna be like ? Get back on point people... What are your acoustic guitars worth if you had to sell them today ?

I’ve got about five grand’s worth myself , (not counting the Steinway, harpsichord, sousaphone, mandolin, hand tooled leather straps, capos, Snarks, Tonerites, DAB radio and all the harmonicas*)

Happy New Year Everybody !

* The second hand Harmonica market has always been very poor, in spite of their immense historical value.
Hey Long Jon, since I am the OP, I now assign you as "Official Moderator" of this thread!

As with any poll, there is always something left out for many people. A poll collecting data for any statistical purposes will not be relative unless you create choices that are simple and to the point.

Discussion is all good. Heck that's why we read each other's opinions right?

As far as true value for the poll then a quick rough estimate of market value or anything you wish it to be. Subliminal message now added to first post.

After it runs it's course, I will create a highly technical formula to report back what the median average is for all that participated.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 01-01-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I have a spreadsheet with every guitar (and amp) I own including the date it was purchased, the retailer, the cost, the serial numbers, etc. I'll keep the $ to myself though.
Me too. I also put purchase cost, date of purchase and as current as possible the full replacement cost. Last time I had new costs valued by a friendly guitar shop - i found it scary.

Value ...high , but saleability ? mmm.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 AM

Should I include my address, SS number and the combo to my safe in this data also?
Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 AM

Naaa, Jesse. Between Google and Equifax, we already know. Thanks for offering, though.

cotten
Old 01-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Naaa, Jesse. Between Google and Equifax, we already know. Thanks for offering, though.

cotten
true but perhaps a detailed list of guitars , calendar with times absent from home indicated, and a map showing hide a key location would be helpful .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:

cotten
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
true but perhaps a detailed list of guitars , calendar with times absent from home indicated, and a map showing hide a key location would be helpful .
It IS crazy scary what you can find out about someone even with the little info listed on a forum like this...
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic