The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
...open and responsive in feeling to the touch....
That echoes my 2002 RGCC experience. It was by far the most responsive and dynamic guitar I’ve ever played. You could play it so softly and still it would ring out — extremely satisfying.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
That echoes my 2002 RGCC experience. It was by far the most responsive and dynamic guitar I’ve ever played. You could play it so softly and still it would ring out — extremely satisfying.
Everything seems easier to play on the goodall lol. The goodall deserves its own niche alongside other grrat guitars made by luthiers and small shops in a collection.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Goodalls are amazing. I've never played a guitar in the next tier up like maybe an Olson, Traugatt, or Somogyi, for instance, but I can't imagine they sound noticeably better than a Goodall.

Maybe they do, but I wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

If you go to a dealer that has Goodall guitars then compare similar models to Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collings, Huss and Dalton and Froggy Bottom. You quickly see why Goodall guitars are so popular and why people pay a premium for them. They compete well with 5 figure guitars.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Goodalls are fantastic guitars. I would imagine prices are increasing because output is less than in the Hawaii years. They don’t work for my playing style, however, as there is simply too much overtone content. I owned a Standard for 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by justonwo; 01-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Can we wrap this thread up soon? It’s giving me major GAS.

LOL - know what you mean
I think I'm auditioning a Goodall vicariously from this thread.
I like it though, keep em coming.

Dan
Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I've been lusting for the Martin 000-30 Authentic since it was released, though I've never played one. In rare moments of clarity I realize it would do well to equal my similarly appointed Goodall 000 12 fret.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

I’ve played dozens of Goodalls and owned three – each of the ones that I owned was individual in woods, size and sound, so if you do want to sample Goodalls, please try a few. While there is a characteristic Goodall sound, the overtones in particular can vary considerably from guitar to guitar.

All of mine were Hawaiian and they easily stand comparison for build quality against the several single luthier guitars I own.

I had one problem with one guitar (actually with the Waverley tuners). Even though I had bought it used, Jean Goodall was most helpful.

My playing changed and I gradually sold the Goodalls to transition to other builders, particularly Baranik and Willams, whoa are represented in the AGF Classifieds and give a modern sound but with less overtones. That said, I still miss my Italian/Ziricote Goodall CJ (now with another AGF member!)

Dave if you are in North Cal, why not visit the Goodalls (and Mike Baranik if you venture south of SF)?

Col
Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Goodalls are fantastic guitars. I would imagine prices are increasing because output is less than in the Hawaii years. They don’t work for my playing style, however, as there is simply too much overtime content. I owned a Standard for 2 or 3 years.

I found this to be the same case for myself as I've had a few Goodalls but none currently.
The strong overtone content could get in the way of individual notes and even some strumming for my style of play.

Loved my Goodall's tho and will not rule out obtaining another at some time in the future.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Good guitars

I saw a vid of a Goodall guitar build, from wood selection to presentation photo. Goodall and son were solely building the guitars aside from spraying the finish, which was being done by an expert just down the road.
Very impressive. Father and son seemed to have a real knack for things, honoring tradition yet employing their unique vision. Exquisite hands-on craftsmanship with a genuine focus on the player. The end results are distinctly original acoustic guitars, that apparently play silky and sound golden. I'd love to play one some time.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:32 PM

I've only played a Goodall one time, when I visited Dusty Springs in Seattle, but it was the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever heard.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 PM

I love Goodall guitars. Definitely a notch above Bourgeois, and the others in the list from the OP. I like a lush guitar but when I was in the market for a Goodall I didn’t want something too lush ~ already had enough of those. Boy did I find a nice one. Port Orford cedar and olive wood CG model. Olive is somewhere in the walnut tone wood ball park and POC is maybe a warmer version of adirondac . Anyways you can surely find one that is lush or more controlled in the harmonic content but I can’t imagine you’d be unimpressed with the guitar.

Ryan Nightingale Cedar/EIR
Collings DS1G German/Mahog
Goodall CG POC/Olive
Ted Thompson Jumbo Sitka/EIR
Northwood Dread - Engleman/Braz
Old 01-16-2018, 03:51 PM

I have a grand concert (italian/bubinga) and it is just a joy to play. It's comfortable (the neck is perfect in my opinion), beautiful to look at, and there is something interesting about the tone that is hard to describe but just makes me want to keep playing it. What more could you want?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I've only played a Goodall one time, when I visited Dusty Springs in Seattle, but it was the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever heard.
Was this by any chance a cedar/rosewood grand concert? It's been a few years, but this was the first time I'd played a Goodall in that size, and it was the most incredible guitar I'd ever played. It easily sounded better to me than any of the other guitars currently in Dusty Strings' inventory, and I played pretty much all of the high end small body guitars they had in stock.

i still dream about that guitar...
Old 11-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Just throwing in my two cents on something. I've obviously had a lot come through the shop - well over 100, but I've never counted. I haven't noticed a difference between Hawaii and California models! Except, ya know, price

And on that note, the used market price "renaissance" of the last couple years seems to be leveling out now. You used to be able to buy a rosewood/mahogany model for $2800 to $3200, and now that same guitar goes for more like $3500 to $4000, and the more exotic wood or rare models go for $4K and up. Of course, I still see people asking $5000 for "normal" rosewood models, so what do I know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion