The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Anyone play a Terz Guitar

Martin made them over the years. Got me curious?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 AM

I don't have a purpose designed Terz guitar, but I keep my Fylde Ariel tuned that way, GCFBbDG. The scale length is 629mm and I use 11-47 Newtone Heritage low tension strings. No adjustments were necessary when I first did this, the guitar previously having been in standard tuning with Newtone Masterclass 12-54 strings.

I love the way the guitar sounds and feels as a Terz. It is a very responsive guitar to begin with, but seems to sing even more sweetly at this pitch. The sound and feel are completely different from when the guitar was at standard pitch with a capo on the 3rd fret. And, with a neck/body join at the 12th fret, I can capo up to quite high pitches - fret 7 in this tuning being equivalent to fret 10 at standard tuning.

This gives the resonant benefit of still having relatively long string length when compared with the same pitch on a "normal" guitar.

I use the guitar a lot, especially in band situations with capo at fret 2 or 4, instead of a standard tuned guitar with capo at fret 5 or 7, and the result is very pleasing indeed to my ears anyway.

Here's a sample with the guitar capoed at fret 4 -

Keith

Last edited by ocarolan; 07-26-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Tried terz and didn't like it - I find quart tuning (ADGCEA) more useful when playing with others in terms of chord shapes and transposition. I presently have two instruments set up this way (Martin LXM strung with D'Addario XL110W 10-46 electric strings, and Deering Boston 19-fret tenor banjo strung 10-13-17-26) and as Keith says the sound and feel are totally different - even with the lunchcounter construction, there's a shimmer to the notes that just isn't there when capoing a standard-tuned instrument; the real winner here, however, is the banjo - I had it in three different tunings previously (standard tenor, Irish, and Chicago), and after switching to GCEA I've never looked back. If you have a tenor banjo and you've never tried it, I recommend it highly: makes a great lead instrument since it covers much the same range as mandolin/fiddle, and adds a crispness and sparkle to Irish music that GCAE tuning can't touch - heck, when I don't have my 5-string I even fingerpick mine...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM

I have a Breedlove mini travel guitar in Terz tuning. I like it that way. I play in an acoustic duo and find having different size / shape guitars makes for a nice talking point with the audience.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Wink

"This gives the resonant benefit of still having relatively long string length when compared with the same pitch on a "normal" guitar"

Keith........bell like shimmer to the tone......sounds terrific!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I own 3 Tacoma Papoose guitars which are essentially Terz guitars. Love them and would really love a 12 string Terz.

Joe Viellette makes great Terz guitars but pricey.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM

After years of me badgering him, Roy McAlister built me a terz guitar. It was a magnificent instrument, but I found the G to G tuning less practical for playing with others than the A to A requinto tuning that my Papoose is tuned to.

With the A to A requinto tuning, a G formation gives you a C natural chord, a C formation gives you an F natural chord, a D formation gives you a G natural chord, and an A minor formation gives you a D minor natural chord. But with the G to G terz tuning a G formation gives you a Bb natural chord, a C formation gives you an Eb natural chord, a D formation gives you an F natural chord, and an A minor formation gives you a C minor natural chord.

Which is fine, but doesn't transfer as easily. The one guy I've ever seen who jammed effectively with a Martin terz tuned his 5-18 to the A to A requinto tuning.

The only other problem I had with my McAlister terz was that it was such an exquisite jewel of an instrument that I was very hesitant to just grab it and take it anywhere the way I do my Papoose.

Anyway, I do like terz guitars, but if I was to get another I'd string it with lighter strings and put it into the requinto tuning and keep it there.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After years of me badgering him, Roy McAlister built me a terz guitar. It was a magnificent instrument, but I found the G to G tuning less practical for playing with others than the A to A requinto tuning that my Papoose is tuned to.

With the A to A requinto tuning, a G formation gives you a C natural chord, a C formation gives you an F natural chord, a D formation gives you a G natural chord, and an A minor formation gives you a D minor natural chord. But with the G to G terz tuning a G formation gives you a Bb natural chord, a C formation gives you an Eb natural chord, a D formation gives you an F natural chord, and an A minor formation gives you a C minor natural chord.

Which is fine, but doesn't transfer as easily. The one guy I've ever seen who jammed effectively with a Martin terz tuned his 5-18 to the A to A requinto tuning.

The only other problem I had with my McAlister terz was that it was such an exquisite jewel of an instrument that I was very hesitant to just grab it and take it anywhere the way I do my Papoose.

Anyway, I do like terz guitars, but if I was to get another I'd string it with lighter strings and put it into the requinto tuning and keep it there.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
isn't a simple answer to your A tuning issue is to capo the Terz on the first fret in situations where you need to play with others? Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 AM

Actually Terz tuning with no capo is ideal for playing in Bb, Eb etc, whether with others or not !

Keith
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Actually Terz tuning with no capo is ideal for playing in Bb, Eb etc, whether with others or not !

Keith
But I see what Wade is saying. the key of A would be a little easier to play with other players, given my talent level anyway. lol
steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 AM

I had a Martin 5-15. I liked it and thought it sounded great- even in standard tuning. I did find it a little uncomfortable to hold but probably would feel better with one now that I have more experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion