The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 05:43 AM

Default thoughts on the all mahogany taylors

hi every1. new here and love the gc series taylors. I currently have a Gibson j35 but find I need a smaller guitar because of old age lol. I have always love mahogany guitars and have owned a few of the 15 series. I have been thinking of trading the gibby towards one of the 300 series gc[ think it would be the 320 series]. I guess I just want to know how the sound compares of the mahogany taylors to the 15 series of martins. I know they wont have the martin sound but do they have the woody sound that the 15 series do? thanks By the way going to see james taylor at dte theater tomorrow. going to be a great concert but calling for thunderstorms all night and we have the first row not under the roof. still will be a great concert.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 AM

Have had a Taylor 322 for a month or so now and love it more every day.

Had originally planned on buying a Martin - tried the SWOMGT, 000-15SM and -17SM and kept coming back to the 322. Also sampled the Taylor 314 (too bright) and a GA6
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 AM

i love the sound of all mahogany guitars myself. i especially liked the sound of the martin 15 series, but could not spend the money for a unfinished guitar; no binding, decal rossette and name etc. i bought the guild gad25 and am completely happy with the sound, the workmanship, overall quality and sound.
i bought the dreadnaught. i don't know if they come in 00 or 000 sizes but if they do you will be happy with the money you save.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Well, I am an unabashed Taylor guy. I have been gassing for an all mahogany guitar for a while.

I love the looks and feel of the Taylor hogs, but for the true mahogany "sound" I always come back to either a GS Mini or a Martin D15M.

Every time I go to GC I try out the 500 and 300 Taylor hogs, and the Martins. I always (always) prefer the D15M.

I am awaiting my hog GS Mini this week. I wanted a cheaper smaller option so I went with that instead. But if you want a full size real hog, I recommend the Martin.

And I'm a Taylor guy.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 AM

I have been using either Martins or Gibsons for the past 45+ years and the only Taylor I owned was the GS Mini. I recently got a Taylor 522ce 12 fret and it might be the finest acoustic guitar I have ever played. These are just wonderful guitars and I would highly recommend them.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 AM

I had one for a short time and returned it. It did not sound woody and warm like Martins that I've had. It had the typical Taylor sound (a little to sterile sounding for me).

However, if you like that sound, they are beautifully made guitars.

RB
Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper59 View Post
hi every1. new here and love the gc series taylors. I currently have a Gibson j35 but find I need a smaller guitar because of old age lol. I have always love mahogany guitars and have owned a few of the 15 series. I have been thinking of trading the gibby towards one of the 300 series gc[ think it would be the 320 series]. I guess I just want to know how the sound compares of the mahogany taylors to the 15 series of martins. I know they wont have the martin sound but do they have the woody sound that the 15 series do? thanks By the way going to see james taylor at dte theater tomorrow. going to be a great concert but calling for thunderstorms all night and we have the first row not under the roof. still will be a great concert.
Have fun, cooper. I saw JT at the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago with the Steve Gadd Band backing him up and yeah, he's all that.

I'm a Martin guy myself, but I played a 500-series Taylor on a trip to Seattle recently and the guitar practically exploded the minute I strummed it. If you want an in-your-face guitar with all the sizzle and snap hog can deliver, the 500-series is your huckleberry. 300- and 400-series Taylors sounded muted to me compared to the 500s. I also played some 15-series Martins at LA Guitar Sales recently and they definitely had that warm and woody Martin sound I personally crave. So here's my advice.

If you're a singer-songwriter who uses a guitar primarily to accompany your vocals, get the Martin. If you're a rhythm guitarist or a soloist in a band and you need your guitar to cut through the mix, get the Taylor.

PS: Before you buy either one, do yourself a favor and audition a Performance Artist series Martin with Rosewood sides and back. Do NOT be persuaded by Martin's marketing hyperbole that the Performance Artist series is primarily designed for gigging musicians. As far as I'm concerned, it's designed for people with ears. If you're like me, you might find it to be the best of both worlds at a stupid-affordable price.

Last edited by bld522; 07-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM

I would highly recommend the Martin OM 15 gloss custom from Ted at L.A. Guitar sales, a forum sponsor. The guitar is "finished" as I note from your thread that the Martin 15 series stock is not to your liking visually. The tone to me on the 15 series is great as is the price from Ted on the guitar. If more bling then I would go with the Taylor 522.

Have fun on your hunt!

Bob

2012 Taylor GC-6
2015 Collings 000-2H 12 Fret
2011 Martin OM 15 Custom-Shadeburst
2013 Eastman E10P
2011 Kenny Hill Nylon Crossover
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I recently bought a 522ce 12-fret from Ted at LA Guitar Sales... what a spectacular guitar! Rich, warm sound, plays great, and is comfortable to hold. I am finding that the Grand Concert size guitar is more comfortable for me these days. It works for me!

Captain Jim
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 AM

I know this is a different comparison that you asked for.

I owned a 12 fret custom. Basically a 5 series all hog no cuts way.

I loved it until I compared it to the new 812ce 12 fret.

I traded it in on the spot. The new 812 had more of everything.

Spruce is my preference for a guitar top over hog.

Good luck choosing.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 AM

I played a 324 that was really delicious. Had a line behind me to play it. Very nice! I would say it sounded more similar to a Santa Cruz 1929 all hog (not as good, just closer tone-wise) than to a Martin, but I love the Martins too.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
If you're a singer-songwriter who uses a guitar primarily to accompany your vocals, get the Martin.
I would have to disagree with this. I'm a singer-songwriter and have played the Martins and the Taylors..... I bought the Taylor (and I'm a Martin guy!).

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

I've had a mahogany-topped 514 (nowadays it would be called a 524) and currently I have a Builder's Reserve all-mahogany (think of it as a 12-fret 522). Both are excellent guitars. If you can try out a 522 you'll do yourself a favor.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 AM

My wife has a Taylor Mini (all mahogany) and we're always battling over who gets to play it. I love it. I've always loved Martin mahogany parlor guitars, and have had some great vintage ones, but this one honestly blows them away when it comes to volume and clarity. Great guitar (not "great guitar for the money"...just "great guitar.")
Old 07-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

My Custom 12-Fret GC is all mahogany, and yes it has that woody "hog" tone, but more sustain than you might get from a 15 series, which to my ears sound more "old-timey." Here a pic and a tune:

https://app.box.com/s/94d86cd4a392a96dd688

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion