The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 12:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Jesse Winchester Fans

I'd love people to share any memories they may have of seeing Jesse Winchester in concert. As you know, we lost him this last April. He was a very fine songwriter with an idiosyncratic guitar style perfectly suited to his songs. I always felt like I was going to a poetry reading with music thrown in for free. He really cast a spell over the audience.

Anyway, your turn. Any favorite songs or memories of him? Another guy I miss terribly.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 AM

I think he is very much overlooked as a writer and performer. I totally disagreed with his political views, but his songs are outstanding.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

GHS, thanks. Actually, that speaks highly of your character, that you are able to look past the politics and still appreciate his music.

I don't want this thread to turn into a political discussion, but most Jesse fans are aware that he went to Canada instead of being drafted and fighting in Vietnam.

Thanks Again, GHS.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM

Many years ago at a concert in Buffalo, Jesse opened for the Eagles. His performance was extraordinary. He ended his set by jumping off the stage and dancing threw the crowd. I never forgot the music and energy and became a admirer from that point on.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi Charmedlife,

I saw Jesse open for Guy Clark in Atlanta somewhere toward the end of the last century; he was supporting the marvelous "Gentleman of Leisure" release. He played new stuff and old stuff.

His touch on the guitar was light but effective, and the tunes were wonderful. It's a show I'll always remember.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM

What a beautiful playing style and a such a sweet voice.

This'll jerk a few tears, makes Elvis C. and Neko Case bubble up ... and me ..

Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, John, I've watched and rewatched this clip many times. Notice also the reaction in the audience when the camera pans there. He had that rare ability to cast a spell over an audience. A songwriter's songwriter for sure. Thanks, John.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Superb video. The power of a true artist to transcend all that separates us. And, yep, it'll choke you up...if you've ever been in love.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful songwriter, and, apparently a very gentle man; a true Southern Gentleman... love his songs, a whole lot of them, too many to mention all...

The first songs I heard by Jesse were Yankee Lady and The Brand New Tennessee Waltz; I've been playing those since the early 70's. After his first 5 or 6 records, I kind of lost track of him and his music.

The Tribute record, "Quiet About It", is a stellar collection, both of material and the artists doing the songs... highly recommended!!!! From James Taylor doing "Payday", to Allen Toussaint's rendition of "Bye Bye" to Lucinda Williams doing "Misssissippi You're on my Mind", there are a whole lot of chestnuts on that record... the proceeds will help Jesse's family, so I'd say GO OUT AND BUY IT!

RIP, Jesse... and thanks for all the great music!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-26-2014, 01:55 PM

No one has mentioned his voice, one of the most beautiful, evocative voices in popular music.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Rev Roy, the Red Smith quote on your signature is one of my favorite all-time quotes about writing.

I'll give you another one. I have a Masters degree in creative writing which of course included a lot of workshopping, critiquing, all that garbage. So here's the quote: "Human beings have three basics needs: food, shelter, and to rewrite somebody else's story.

JSeth: Thanks for posting. My two favorite Jesse songs are "Little Glass of Wine" and a lesser known tune called "If Only" (it's on the disc "Live from Mountain Stage"). Does anyone have a favorite song of Jesse's. Yes, JSeth, that's a great tribute CD. My favorite tune is Allan Toussaint's cover of "Wave Bye Bye."

Bluemonk: Yes, his voice, a beautiful high tenor, perfectly suited to his songs. A voice like an adult angel.

Keep 'em coming, folks....
Old 07-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Rev Roy, the Red Smith quote on your signature is one of my favorite all-time quotes about writing.

I'll give you another one. I have a Masters degree in creative writing which of course included a lot of workshopping, critiquing, all that garbage. So here's the quote: "Human beings have three basics needs: food, shelter, and to rewrite somebody else's story.
Charmedlife417: Love your quote. I was a journalist for 15 years, so it really hit close to home. Maybe that's why I enjoyed even more success with my fiction and poetry...which nobody edited but me

...then I became a preacher and I suspect a few parishioners would have liked to edit some of my sermons, especially the long ones

Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Rev Roy. Very cool, nice to meet you. Thanks for the compliment. Anyone who has been in a writing program or workshop can really relate to that quote.

What denomination are you? One of my best friends from childhood is very big in the Foursquare Church in the Northeast. He and his wife are wonderful examples of people who walk the walk. Sorry, folks, don't mean to preach here.

Rev, I discovered the same thing in my own writing. I lean more toward memoir. I really revere The Elements of Style and William Zinsser's On Writing Well. I've made a list of writing tips (now about six pages long) that I review each time before a serious revision. But, yes, I stopped listening to critiques and finally, after almost 50 years, my true writing voice emerged. I also pay a professional editor to go through my work with me, and pay her handsomely for her excellent insights, cuts and revisions.

Cheers, my friend.

Charmed Life
Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM

Over the years I have followed Jesse's career from early on. I remember hearing his first recording (produced by Robbie Robertson) when I was in High School, where I was mostly listening to Jethro Tull, Yes, The Stones, etc. Knocked me out.

Over the years I have performed 'Mississippi You're on my Mind' 'It takes More than a Hammer to make a house a home' 'Isn't That So' 'Biloxi' 'Yankee Lady' and many more. The simplicity of his melodies (and chord work) and the directness of his words was pure art. And the guy stuck to his ethics.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 07-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
What a beautiful playing style and a such a sweet voice.

This'll jerk a few tears, makes Elvis C. and Neko Case bubble up ... and me ..

This is song writing that creates humility in aspiring artists. Neko Case drained Nilsson's Don't Forget Me in the same show - haunting!

Last edited by jmat; 07-26-2014 at 08:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion