The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Bourgeois SJ and OM

Any folks out there want to talk about the differences, both in play and sound, of Dana's SJ vs. his OM (assuming the same wood combinations)? I've played many Bourgeois OMs, but never an SJ. I've heard so many good things about the SJ's comfort, response, projection, and tone. Dimensionally, according to the specs, it appears nearly the same 'size' as the OM, just a different shape, proportionally.

Not necessarily looking for side-taking, just anyone's general thoughts, or helpful commentary!

Thanks, all!

Last edited by mberk84; 07-25-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 PM
G625 mistral-k

We have an OM and a SJ (signature below). Everything you have heard about the SJ is true. The differences are significant in sound and projection. While the SJ's sound has more punch, the OM's projection broader/wider, and it has a deeper growl. To my ears, the OM is really the better strummer, perfectly balanced, while the SJ is better for fingerstyle with it's very piano like yet warm rounded individual notes. The OM sound is closer to one of Dana's dreads, while the SJ has it's own signature sound. You can not go wrong with either, so it really comes down to personal preference. My better half prefers to play the SJ and I prefer to play the OM. I hope this helps...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 PM

That's both extremely helpful and terribly unhelpful! Thanks so much for the eloquent descriptions. You're certainly not making my life easier, because now I'd like them both for different reasons. But it does give me a much better sense of capabilities and tonal qualities. Much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:02 AM

Interesting assessment...I would have thought the bigger bodied SJ would be the better strummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
We have an OM and a SJ (signature below). Everything you have heard about the SJ is true. The differences are significant in sound and projection. While the SJ's sound has more punch, the OM's projection broader/wider, and it has a deeper growl. To my ears, the OM is really the better strummer, perfectly balanced, while the SJ is better for fingerstyle with it's very piano like yet warm rounded individual notes. The OM sound is closer to one of Dana's dreads, while the SJ has it's own signature sound. You can not go wrong with either, so it really comes down to personal preference. My better half prefers to play the SJ and I prefer to play the OM. I hope this helps...
Old 07-26-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hag99 View Post
Interesting assessment...I would have thought the bigger bodied SJ would be the better strummer.
I've noticed that many of the high end, single luthier built fingerstyle guitars are built to what can be considered an SJ size (Ryan Mission, Traugott R, Somogyi OM, Olson SJ, etc.). I guess the larger size gives the notes a little more punch, clarity and depth. Just speculating.

Bill
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the comments, all! I have noticed, too, that many luthiers who aren't building in the so-called 'Martin tradition' use a roughly (Bourgeois-esque) SJ size and call it their OM model.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Don't forget the dreds... Granted I'd skip the slope due to its depth...
The sj I'd consider for a delicate finger stylist, seeking a classical like guitar approach, similar in respects to the om...
Play some similar body shapes and see what sounds best with your style of music...
My only issue with the om is lack of volume but that was only one example I owned for a year and eventually traded for the one in my sig.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeios, small j