The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM

Default Yamaha Surprise

I've read folks here praising Yamaha's bang for the buck, but, unlike some of you, I was never a huge fan of the Yamahas of the 70s, had written them off somewhere along the line, and hadn't picked one up in years. I tried a couple yesterday at the local GC.

First I picked up a GA/OM-ish model with a spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides - $699. It was really good. Comfortable neck, a better factory set up than most of the American guitars (except for the Taylors, of course) in the room and a big, bright, balanced tone with good sustain. String spacing felt a bit wide to me at the saddle, but some of you would dig that. I was pretty amazed, to be honest. This was, regardless of price, a seriously good guitar that I think would hold it's own against most American factory guitars.

Bright and chimey - more Taylor than Martin or Gibson. Loud enough to hold it's own anywhere acoustically. It felt a bit heavy for a smallish mahogany guitar, but the sound didn't seem weighed down at all. If I were in the market for an entry-level Taylor, that Yamaha -- nicely appointed and full gloss -- might just turn my head. I believe I'd take it over the first couple of Martin series without a second thought.

Then the next surprise; I picked up it's laminate (solid top) sister - just $499 -- and it was so close it was nuance that would be lost in a jam. At home, in a quiet space, the difference would probably be more obvious. They both have a passive UST in them that the sales girl said sounds really good, but I didn't try them out plugged. Gotta do that. At $499, with a protective poly gloss finish and a good pickup, this would make a great stage guitar.

I wish they had a bit more style; they just look like Martin OMs with a different headstock. If these Yamahas had some style or Recording Kings sounded as good, that'd put me in the market. It was one of these:

P
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM

I think they get over looked a lot and get labeled as an entry level guitar. I haven't found but a few Yamahas that didn't sound nice.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
Then the next surprise; I picked up it's laminate (solid top) sister - just $499 -- and it was so close it was nuance that would be lost in a jam. At home, in a quiet space, the difference would probably be more obvious.
Welcome to the dark-side!

I plugged in my new LL16R-12 L Series last night just to test that new passive pickup system of Yamaha and Ohhhhh my gosh! Wonderful!

Welcome, you have friends here!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM

I went to my local GC the other night for a Yamaha product demo they had going on. I wanted to play that same guitar but they did not have it available.
I will keep looking.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000JB View Post
I went to my local GC the other night for a Yamaha product demo they had going on. I wanted to play that same guitar but they did not have it available.
I will keep looking.
Sorry JB,
I went to the demo Monday at my local GC witht the experess purpose of getting my hands on the LL16G-12 only to be disappointed because the way that this road show was put together. Yamaha relied on GC's inventory of the new models for the demo.

I inquired about the 12 and they did an inventory check. There was 1 in the chain world wide, sitting in a warehouse in Memphis.

I'd already for the most part made up my mind on it without ever playing it (bozo no no but I got lucky) so when I got home from the demo I immediately got on line and placed my order. As luck had it I was able to snag that one sitting in the warehouse.

You'll like it I'm sure.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM

Everything I have ever purchased from Yamaha has been excellent.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Kip
Thanks, I am sure it is a nice guitar. My local store will get one eventually.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Kip:

So let me get this right. You got the LAST one!?!

Gaak!

Greg Rappleye
Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Yamaha Surprise

Yamaha A series and L series -
Great guitars, great electronics, great prices.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rappleye View Post
Kip:

So let me get this right. You got the LAST one!?!

Gaak!

Greg Rappleye
Greg,
Yes... but to qualify the statement... The last one currently in stock anywhere within the Guitar Center chain (including warehouses). This was checked by the store manager (apparently they have the ability to see everyone's inventory). Now I followed up on Tuesday talking to a friend of a friend at another Guitar Center and they confirmed this and said if my order didn't secure that particular LL16R-12 that I would have to wait till early August for another shipment from Yamaha.

Lucky for me I got that one! Sounds better today than yesterday even. Stable humidity for 12 hrs probably.

I've been wanting to write a review of it but wanted to get it to my Luthier to do a full setup on it before doing so. It is pretty good as is but i'm sure he can dial it in even tighter.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamos5790 View Post
I think they get over looked a lot and get labeled as an entry level guitar. I haven't found but a few Yamahas that didn't sound nice.
I always equated buying a Yamaha guitar as buying an entry level guitar - Something about buying a guitar from a company that also makes jet skis was always disconcerting to me.

I'm glad to hear they're better than I gave them credit for!
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversRubin View Post
I always equated buying a Yamaha guitar as buying an entry level guitar - Something about buying a guitar from a company that also makes jet skis was always disconcerting to me.

I'm glad to hear they're better than I gave them credit for!
They are an incredible manufacture to be sure. Have you heard their grand pianos? They manufacture to a wide spectrum of consumers at every level of experience in any given discipline.

Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've posted about Yamahas in other threads here. This is a company that appears to take enormous pride in anything bearing their name. Many consider their concert grand pianos second only to Steinway in tone and quality.

I bought a used Yamaha Dread off CL a few years back for $175. What a fine guitar with a great finish.

I'm pretty sure they've moved a lot of their guitar production to China to keep costs down, but who hasn't? I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger if that's in your price range.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-26-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Stunning 2014 Yamaha L ARE series ...

My LJ6ARE: my poor man's Lowden jumbo, loud but sweet, chimey but deep, bassy but clear.

And he two first plain steel strings sound good and fat when played as a single note, alway a good sign.

I may have an exceptional number, i don't know, but it sounds better and bigger to my ears than many all solid flat tops i can encounter around.

If only this series had a cutaway option ...

Regarding the pu, it is very decent for a piezo, less quack than usual, can catch a bit of the body vibration, but it definitely sounds like a piezo.
But very convenient, loud enough output, and it shines with a secondary mike, even a bit.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Everything I have ever purchased from Yamaha has been excellent.
Yeah, i got a scouter, an arranger and nylon crossover

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion