The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM

Default To those who usually buy used: What does it take to make you buy a new guitar?

I always buy used almost always. When a guitar has been played in a little and you can the guitar for half what you would pay in the store at the expense of a scartch or two, it's simply the most sensible way to pick your guitars

But as someone whose never bought a new guitar in my life, when I bought my Takamine Peak 2013, it was like the stars aligned. The right body shape I was looking for at the time, marked down from retail price by an insane amount from a reputable daler, it was new (meaning I was under a warranty), and it was a limited edition model that would never come up again. I pulled the trigger on what become my favorite guitar in my collection.

Now, for those who are like me who almost exclusively buy used, what will it take to make you buy a new guitar and what has made you buy new in the past?
A warranty good not to have (some would say Martin's lifetime warranty)?
A limited edition that will probably never come up used?
Picking one off the wall that speaks to you despite being the full price?
Getting tired of waiting for the model you want to show up used and pulling the trigger on a new one?

I can now only think of one occasion where I would get a guitar new and that's when I have enough to commission a guitar from a reputable luthier.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM

What was the question?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
A warranty good not to have (some would say Martin's lifetime warranty)?
A limited edition that will probably never come up used?
Picking one off the wall that speaks to you despite being the full price?
Getting tired of waiting for the model you want to show up used and pulling the trigger on a new one?
This, singly or in combination, pretty well sums it up.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Default New vs used

For me it would have to be price. The warranty is only worth so much, and some makers only have a warranty period even for original owners. OECD you're past that period there's no warranty even if you're the original owner. I don't think that's right, but so be it.

There seem to be plenty of good used guitars out there that were either put away and never played or taken great care of so they're in like new condition.

It would have to be something very special, or a big discount to get me to buy new.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM

Every guitar I've ever bought was used, until I came across a D-28 Authentic '41 at my local Martin dealer, early last year. Supposedly it was from the first batch of D-28As made and sent out to the world. Also supposedly the only one in the state of Arizona at the time. It was just too good. I had to have it. I called my credit card company to see if they'd raise my limit enough to buy the thing. I think it was the excitement in my voice, and they obliged. I swiped the card, packed it up, raced home, and before I even took it out of the case, I listed all of my electric guitars and my amps for sale. Not only did I have to pay off the credit card, I decided with a guitar that good, I was going to finally go all in on bluegrass and flatpicking.

Its over a year later now and its the only guitar I've touched in that time. Its really started to open up already. As good as it was brand new, it was a bit stiff, and it still is honestly. In a few more years this thing will mature into a really wonderful tone. The top isn't quite so pale anymore, and its got a few dings. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited by champ0608; 11-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM

There's a virginal rapture in unveiling an untouched and unblemished guitar, in tracing those smooth, delicate curves with my fingertips, and in savoring the warm yielding aroma that I find impossible to resist ...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Buy new? - Partly lack of available used model, mostly impulsive irresponsibility.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-26-2014, 10:44 AM

When the new guitar brings something to the table that I can not or may not be able to fine in a used instrument.

TW
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Guest 1928

Some of the reasons I've bought new....

Wife wanted a left handed guitar.
Found a mandolin that I liked better than any other example of the same model.
Discontinued Limited Edition (very scarce) at a good price.
Preordered a Limited Edition because I really wanted one and didn't want the hassle of waiting for a used one.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Hi JT,
What KY Dave said.

I've bought a total of two new guitars in my guitar playing life (which began in the late 60s). The last time I bought a new guitar was sometime in the mid 70s. At the time, I was searching out something to replace my 000 18 whilst it was in the shop for a while for major work (loose bracing, refretting, fretboard leveling, cleating, etc); I was actively gigging and needed to have two guitars, not one.

I tried out new Gibsons and Martins and they didn't work for me. Remember, I'm talking 75-76). I then started sampling the smaller builders: Mossman, Gallagher, and Gurian. The Gurian came home with me, and it's still here. In my part of the world, most guitars were dreadnoughts; at the time, the Gurian spoke to me. It was hard enough to find a new one; I knew I'd never find one used.

So, when you need a guitar that you're not going to find used, you buy new. Or when you walk into a shop and there it is, well, there you are.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM

Cool To those who usually buy used, what would it take for you to buy new?

I buy mostly "pre-owned" guitars, but I also buy B stock or blemished guitars. I'm not concerned if it doesn't come with a warranty, as I do my own setups and repairs. My most recent purchase was advertised as "factory refurbished" which (to most people) means, "Something was very wrong with that guitar!!!" and pass on it. To me, it means, "A brand new guitar that has been double-checked by the manufacturer, and can be purchased without warranty in pristine condition for a great price."

The guitar was an Ibanez AEL-30 SE Jumbo, with a shade top vintage violin gloss finish, a solid Engelmann spruce top and mahogany b&s, with an abalone rosette and MoP logo and fret markers. Well, I had been looking for that exact model for several months, hoping to find a used model in my price range. I contacted the dealer and made an offer below their asking price, and told them I would also want to buy a case. They agreed to my low-ball offer, sold me a discounted case (with a small defect), and agreed to ship it for free!!! The setup was perfect, the sound was fabulous with medium EXP strings, for an UNBELIEVEABLE price. The only thing I had to do was switch out the bridge pins...a 3 degree pin is the wrong taper for a 5 degree hole! Did I mention the Fishman electronics?

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 07-26-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM

If I could have afforded a new Martin in my 20's, the lifetime warranty would have been a big attraction. At the age I could buy a Martin, a lifetime warranty didn't seem to carry as much weight.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Something I can't easily find used in my local area.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

My wife commissioned a hand built in 1998 and we spent about three years trying to get it right.

I bought my first Collings in 1999 - and broke the headstock off during my first gig with it.

I commissioned a custom H&D in 2008 and is was a dud and a very expensive mistake.

What would encourage me to buy a new instrument again ?

Never had a new car, got a stepson, and I am my wife's second husband.
See a pattern?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Once my spine starts to tingle and those tummy butterflies start to fly, it is a sure sign that I have found a guitar that I really must have.

Generally a used, long out of production, hard to find guitar, that I know is something rather special and that I couldn't possibly have dreamed of running into.

A hard to find G&L 'Broadcaster' bearing Leo Fender's actual signature is a recent such acquisition, or a Vintage undamaged and underpriced '59 LP Junior that merely needed a little TLC and some minor adjustments is another.

Used guitars are the best and are generally impulsive buys. The snooze or lose buys.

New guitars are generally planned buys, - but not always.

Impulse can play a part with 'new' guitars too - especially those 'Limited Edition' guitars, limited availability guitars, or perhaps one that 'talks to you' in that special way.

Whichever way, these are some of the most enjoyable guitars to own.

They invariably come with a story or two as well, and very little short termed buyers regret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion