The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Who gives a s**t about the name on the neck? I've owned and played many 000-28EC's and they have all been far superior to their stock counterparts.
I'm sure there are off-the-rack 000-28's that are the exception, but don't diss a great guitar because you don't like the celebrity endorsement.

As to the comparison, I found the deeper bass of the EC more pleasing, other things being equal.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Well…I like wider necks/nuts and slot heads so I'm drawn to the 00-28VS. Then too I have a 00-28C that is a delight to play and becoming my favorite guitar so having a steel string version of my nylon Martin would be fun. Also, I'm one of those pesky people who don't like signatures on the outside of the guitar. If they want to sign it on the label inside, go ahead: but on the finger board? Really?

Dave
Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Cool Need help! Martin guitar dilemma.

Scott, you were spot on...you need to buy another Martin. But not a small body, go for something with a little meat, like a D-35 or a J-40! Now, we're talkin'!!!!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 PM

imo, learning how to play that 00-28vs in balance will develop a style for you. How would you describe your style now? How will you describe your style after a few years with that 00?

The 000 sounds vanilla in comparison given your style to my ears.
The 00 had instant vitality. Even with a somewhat tentative, noodling style.
Live a little, keep the 00-28vs, and learn how to pick her in balance

max
Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Why don't you just keep the one that you like best. And if you like them the same then sell the one that will bring you the most money back to your wallet.
I like both almost the same (maybe the 00-28VS just a tiny bit better). But the 00-28VS would definitely sell quicker and for more. For some reason the EC's just done sell well - probably because they sell so many and therefore you see them ALL THE TIME in the classified section, where they languish as the poor seller just keeps dropping the price!

As for the 00-28VS models, you rarely see them in the classifieds and when you do, they sell very quickly and I assume for close to the asking price!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 AM

Scott,
I just listened to your YouTube recording which lead me back to the Forum. I just purchased a OO-28vs on the Forum from HowlinBob last week....should arrive on Tuesday. I have played either a Martin OOO28 or OM for decades, and am sure curious as to how the OO will work out. Like you, I only fingerpick.

You were going to make an A/B comparison after you installed a K & K mini (which is what mine has). How did the comparison work out?

btw: I thought the video revealed that it was the OO-28vs that found you!
Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-26-2014, 07:52 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinslinger View Post
Who gives a s**t about the name on the neck? I've owned and played many 000-28EC's and they have all been far superior to their stock counterparts.
I'm sure there are off-the-rack 000-28's that are the exception, but don't diss a great guitar because you don't like the celebrity endorsement.

As to the comparison, I found the deeper bass of the EC more pleasing, other things being equal.
(+)1. Amazing guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion