The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2009, 06:59 PM

Default D'Addario EXP's vs Elixir's ?

I use Elixir 80/20 bronze, but Sam Ash is offering a buy one get one free sale on DAddario EXP's. That works out to a little over five bucks a set.

Both are coated strings. How much difference can there be?

Has anyone compared the two?

Thanks

Last edited by skewzme; 07-19-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewzme View Post
I use Elixir 80/20 bronze, but Sam Ash is offering a buy one get one free set of DAddario EXP's.

Thanks
I favor phos bronze strings but have tried Elixir and others including original and new EXP formulation. They last a long time and are an improvement over originals. Elixirs can have a greasy feeling that other strings don't have and if that's what you like they may not be for you. If it's tone and not feel they have more of the growl or bark that I like with EJs that I don't think I get when I use Elixirs.

Right now I'm in disbelief as to how good they sound for the amount of play they have had but they are starting to loose temper and not hold the tuning on all strings. I'm guessing the 80/20 should be comparable as far as the treatment.

FWIW: Some sellers just had them for $5 instead of 2 for 1.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Are the ones you're using Polyweb or Nanoweb? All the Polyweb strings are 80/20 whereas Nanowebs come in either 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze.

I find that 80/20 Polys and PB Nanos sound very different and feel a little different from each other. And either of them sound very different than either 80/20 or PB EXP's. I find that the 80/20 vs. PB on the D'Addario EXP's makes less difference than I expect, mainly the 80/20 seems to be louder.

Also, the newest version of the EXP feel almost exactly like uncoated strings whereas the Elixirs are obviously coated. I kind of like that slick coated feel that the Elixirs give and the older EXP's were similar. On current EXP's the coating is so thin you can hardly tell it's there and they squeak like uncoated strings, too.

On my newest guitar, the PB Nanoweb Elixirs are the loudest and bassiest strings I've tried. Very pleasant and responsive tone. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up going back to them eventually but they downside is they are very, very bassy on what it generally a warm-toned guitar. The 80/20 EXP's are the opposite. Lacking in bass with just a bright and lively sound. I like it but it's probably not the best match for that guitar (which BTW has a Red Spruce top and mahogany body).

I use Elixir Polywebs on my fingerstyle guitar because it has a very bright and overtone-rich tone. The Polywebs are a good match, the heavier coating keeps the overtones from getting crazy shimmery but they still have a good, strong treble component. Great for that guitar which has a cedar top and mahogany body.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM

imo D'Addario EXP's don't even come close to Elixir's coated strings...........Elixir makes the best coated string on the planet
Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Both are coated strings. How much difference can there be?
Hi skewzme...
Tons - they can be tons of difference. The coating processes and thicknesses are different between the two. The EXs squeak very loud (chirpy) and die much more quickly - hardly any life extension beyond non-coated strings for a person who plays with clean hands and who has hands which do not sweat.

Compared to the normal D'Addario strings, they sound slightly muffled to me (perhaps because they are). They are good for outdoor gigs, or camping trips because they protect against dirt, food and chemicals which find their way to the strings (it's nearly impossible to keep hands clean at picnics).

The Elixir Nano Phosphor bronze are my favorite coated strings. They are not typical of non-coated phosphor bronze tone...better overtones and great separation and clarity. I still prefer non-coated, but after using 2 cases of EXP in both 80/20 and phosphor bronze (4 cases total) I have decided the Elixir are superior and preferable to my style.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM

It's not really a question of which string is better. The question is, what is the best string for your guitar and your style of play? My wife's Taylor 314k sounds best with EXP 80/20 lights because she's a light strummer and finger picker. I player harder with a heavy pick so I like EXP17 medium phosphor bronze on my Larrivee OM-50. But Elixirs sound better on my son's Larrivee 12 string. So go figure. My advice is try a few different brands and gauges on your guitar until you find the one you like best. Then don't let anyone else tell that you're wrong.
Larrivee OMV-50
Larrivee LJ05-12,
Seagull s6,
Dauphin 30,
Godin Kingpin
Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
The Elixir Nano Phosphor bronze are my favorite coated strings. They are not typical of non-coated phosphor bronze tone...better overtones and great separation and clarity.
I would tend to agree with the "great separation and clarity" part. As bassy and loud as they tend to be on my Red Spruce and Mahogany guitar, they are not muddy sounding in the way one might expect loud, warm sounding strings to be. Quite a good combination of clear and warm in fact. Maybe a bit too warm for my fingerstyle technique but awesome with a heavy flatpick.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I use Elixir 80/20 bronze, but Sam Ash is offering a buy one get one free sale on DAddario EXP's. That works out to a little over five bucks a set.

Thanks
Yes ... I tried the D'Addario EXPs at the recommendation of a shop owner ... sound-wise, they are fine but the feel of the strings is quite different to me than Elixir's ... the EXPs seemd "sticky" when sliding ... I couldn't get past that and went back to the Elixir 80/20's for my 814CE and have stayed with them since ... I am very pleased with the Elixirs for sound, feel and longevity ...

I suspect if I were mostly a strummer and didn't move up and down the neck very frequently that the D'Addario EXPs would be fine ... as a fingerpicker and one who uses partial capos and play all over the neck, the Elixirs are far better to the touch/feel IMHO ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 PM

I love EXP's...the top end is more crisp and airy. The Bottom has more boom. EXP's have an elastic quality that I love for fingerstyle. Elixers soud harsh to me.

Jon
2 Taylor...........3 Squier
1 Fender..........1 Epiphone
3 Yamaha
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM

I have A/B'd these for three years, liking the Elixir PB Nanos but wanting to like the EXPs for the price difference.

I've finally decided to stick to the Elixirs. The EXPs are just a bit dead to my ears and quickly lose any sparkle they had. The Elixir Nanos also stand up better to my use of a thumb-pick.

I recently bought a Goodall Dread that I was initially unhappy with. I fitted EXPs and remained unhappy until I put Elixirs on - there was the sparkle I wanted.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
I have A/B'd these for three years, liking the Elixir PB Nanos but wanting to like the EXPs for the price difference.

I've finally decided to stick to the Elixirs. The EXPs are just a bit dead to my ears and quickly lose any sparkle they had. The Elixir Nanos also stand up better to my use of a thumb-pick.

I recently bought a Goodall Dread that I was initially unhappy with. I fitted EXPs and remained unhappy until I put Elixirs on - there was the sparkle I wanted.
With regards to the "sparkle" you mention, would you say Elixir nanos do it better than Elixir polys?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM

As a long time Elixer user, I was skeptical about the EXP's until I ran into the sale at Elderly and bought 4 sets of lights. I got tired of breaking the G string on the Elixers.

They've lasted me through 2 gigs and a month of practice (I'll change them this week prior to more gigs).

They seem to last, sound great to me on my 414CE L7, and I haven't broken a G string yet.

2004 Taylor 414 CE L7
2000 Takamine EG334SBC
2006 Alvarez PD80SC
1979 Yamaha FG-750S
Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies3 View Post
It's not really a question of which string is better. The question is, what is the best string for your guitar and your style of play? My advice is try a few different brands and gauges on your guitar until you find the one you like best. Then don't let anyone else tell that you're wrong.
I agree with this statement. I find that different strings work better on different guitars. I get the best feel and tone by using Elixir Extra Light Polywebs on my Taylor 414.

I suppose you'll also need to figure in your own playing style.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
With regards to the "sparkle" you mention, would you say Elixir nanos do it better than Elixir polys?
Can't say. I've always used Nanos.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Humanist

Quote:

Thanks
Many differences, due to completely different application of "coating" as the coated part of the string.

Elixir strings are "long-life" coated strings, as the coating is applied after the string is made, preventing grit, grime, body oils, etc. from getting in-between the windings.

The EXPs (and every other coated string, aside from Elixir) have the windings coated, and then the string is made...this makes them coated (in a way), but not long-life.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion