The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-10-2024, 11:34 AM

Default Resonator

Got that itch for a round neck resonator. Honestly, not looking to spend much ($500) and choices seem to be Gretsch: Boxcar, Alligator, Honey Dipper..., Recording King: Minnie Bucker, Dirty 30s, Rattlesnake, Dobro: Hound Dog. Would love to get some input. Just looking for something for the back porch. Thanks, I dig you guys/gals
Old 04-10-2024, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I have a Gretch Boxcar and it’s pretty cool. I keep meaning to do a little work on it - setting it up and adjusting the cone for heavier strings, and installing a pickup so I can gig with it. Haven’t gotten around to that yet, but it plays nicely and sounds great for what it is, which is mostly sitting around the house at the moment.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:11 PM

They're all fine entry-level resos. Treat it like you'd treat any guitar: Go test drive some and get one you like.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:49 PM

You could get a Messer resonator from 12th fret for around $800. They're hand-built in China to Michael Messer's design.

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/n...esser-guitars/

My MM Blues is a lovely guitar.
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 04-10-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I just went from a Gretsch Alligator to a National NRP Tri Cone and it's a big step up. Watch Reverb for used. Charlie Parr plays a Mule. Beard, Messner, there are some good ones out there. Maybe somebody else here can give names to look for. Good Luck
Old 04-10-2024, 05:10 PM

I've had a Boxcar since they first came out - it's a decent instrument, but it is far more polite than the Nationals I've heard.

D.H.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:33 AM

I have a Gretsch Boxcar and a RK Minnie Bucker. They both feel like inexpensive guitars, but the Gretsch feels a little more solidly built to me. The RK has a more unique sound that is great if that's what you are looking for (more LoFi). The Gretsch sounds more like you expect a resonator to sound like.

Even though the Gretsch wins in different categories, I would probably still choose the Minnie Bucker if I had to pick one.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:57 PM

When I started shopping for a round neck resonator a few years ago I tried the offerings by Gretsch and Recording King. None particularly appealed to me. I have a 1930's Regal resonator mandolin; wood bodied, spider bridge. Sweet tone. I wanted a guitar that sounded similar.

I looked online and saw that Gold Tone offers Asian built wood bodied, spider bridge round necks with Paul Beard cones. I picked the Mastertone for $950 delivered with case and a pickup. They cost a little more now.

Everything in their line is over $1000 US now. I'm very pleased with the unplugged and plugged in tone and volume, fit, finish and playability of my Gold Tone.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-16-2024, 05:25 PM

Appreciate it. Looks like I oughta up my budget.....oh, and go play a few!
Old 04-26-2024, 03:25 PM

one to look out for is the Regal / Dobro Angelus model, a '30s low end / student model. they used to turn up in your price range once in a while. not a hi-fi instrument but fun to play around with.

otherwise, yeah, save your pennies. I've seen basic National Resophonic models under two grand lately, keep your eyes peeled and you might get lucky. I've heard decent things about Republic tricones, too. the really cheap resos that I've played did not sound right to my ears, tinny & thin.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

I've had a Gretsch Alligator for years and sure enjoy it, I'd been through a few that didn't stick including a Dobro Hound Dog. I don't know if they've changed but mine has a great neck, wide nut, soft V neck, nice fingerboard,..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments