The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 09:22 PM

I used to keep my 5013 tuned down a half step to ease the tension on the neck.
It was also easier on my fingers.
I currently keep my 150e tuned down for the same reasons.
Using a capo is easy enough for playing with other folks.
I've found many of my guitars sound better, and fuller for my playing.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I tune down 1/2 step all of the time as it is easier on my old retired fretting hand, plus easier on my not so high as it once was, voice.
Martin Dreadnought Jr
Seagull S6 CW Cedar
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson L50 (1947)
Hofner Violin Bass
Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
…I'm not arguing with that; I don't have any information either way about Tommy E. I'm merely making the point that standard tuning and a=440 are not necessarily the same.
Hi Mm…

You are correct.

In the circles I travel in and play in, A=440Hz is the reference pitch we all set our tuners to, and tune our acoustic pianos to.

No matter the particular tuning I choose to land my guitars in, the reference pitch is going to be A=440Hz. It has been an accepted worldwide standard since the 1920s and I see no reason to row upstream against the current.

It's not universally agreed upon, because there are musicians and artists, explorers and experimenters who sometimes just like to be different, so they tune to a different reference pitch. Some just tune to any pitch they choose by ear rather than be locked into an accepted standard.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 PM

The two guitars I currently own just sound better tuned a whole step down to D. I can't say that about all of the guitars I've owned, though. I'm pretty comfortable adjusting to different string tensions, so that's not a major factor for me. It's nice for switching back and forth from DADGAD, too.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM

A couple of my favourite songs are tuned two steps down, once I was there I preferred the tone to standard tuning.

DGCFAd (I think)

It also works really well on my LX1E, which I wasn't expecting.

I did spend a lot of time tuning back to standard and down again, but now just capo up 2 frets (or more) if required
Old 05-26-2015, 04:56 PM

I believe anytime you can introduce less stress to a guitar, the longer you will postpone issue caused from that stress.
Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi M-kid…

The main reason I see people do this is it's easier on their voice.

Larry;

Would playing the song in a lower key accomplish the same goal ?

Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 05:09 PM

Half step down for me as well, all vocal range related.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM

Neil is tuning down 1/2 step these days too accommodate the change in his voice with aging.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
You could ask the same thing about capo use ("couldn't you just play in a higher key?"). Much easier to tune down or capo up then to relearn every song in a different key.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post

Dan
Apparently transposition is unable to be considered, since it is never brought up in these discussions. Seems obvious to me. There are songs where the chord voicing is such that transposition is ungainly, but certainly not all songs . . . . . . . .

*everything* is a tone control
Old 05-26-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
Apparently transposition is unable to be considered, since it is never brought up in these discussions. Seems obvious to me. There are songs where the chord voicing is such that transposition is ungainly, but certainly not all songs . . . . . . . .
But why? It's so much easier to tune down. You can always capo down one if you want to go back to standard tuning. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
But why? It's so much easier to tune down. You can always capo down one if you want to go back to standard tuning. Best of both worlds.
^I'm with Paul on this one. Why make it harder than it needs to be? And yes, donh, for many songs the voicing and/or fingering becomes awkward or even unusable, which is yet another reason to avoid transposing vs. down-tuning/capoing, which always works.

I mean, if transposing is easier for you, more power to you, but I doubt that is true of most folks. For me, and I imagine for most others, simply down-tuning or using a capo is a whole lot easier then relearning a song in a different key/fingering--especially fingerstyle pieces.

Last edited by Guest 213; 05-26-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Ned, this makes sense for acoustic, but I would think it is a non-issue for a solid-body electric. Correct?
Exactly! Some bands like to tune down a bit because it creates an overall slightly different mood than standard. Also, the extra slinkiness on preferred thickness of string can be handy for bending.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
No matter the particular tuning I choose to land my guitars in, the reference pitch is going to be A=440Hz. It has been an accepted worldwide standard since the 1920s and I see no reason to row upstream against the current.
FYI, it is not "the" worldwide standard, but certainly "a" common standard.

From wikipedia:

Current concert pitches

Despite such confusion, A = 440 Hz is the only official standard and is widely used around the world. Many orchestras in the United Kingdom adhere to this standard as concert pitch.[12] In the United States some orchestras use A = 440 Hz, while others, such as New York Philharmonic and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, use A = 442 Hz.[13] The latter is also often used as tuning frequency in Europe,[2] especially in Denmark, France, Hungary, Italy, Norway and Switzerland.[14] Nearly all modern symphony orchestras in Germany and Austria and many in other countries in continental Europe (such as Russia, Sweden and Spain) tune to A = 443 Hz.[12][14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch

Some players (primarily orchestral) will have to adjust their tuning when crossing the Atlantic and performing with an orchestra in a zone outside of their standard reference pitch.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion