The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Which strings on blueridge br40

I bought a br40 unseen unplayed from Maurys. Ive had it for about a week and had Maury string it up with a set of daddario phospher bronze mediums. I gave it about a week to calm down with those strings but when played hard it sounds muddy I guess is the right word. So saturday I put on a set of Martin sp 80/20 lights. For the first 2 days it sounded like tin cans rattling but has calmed a little. The lights dont really have the lowend punch Im after. I need a string that will bring out the warmest tone possible and give some decent volume.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Try a set of Bluegrass gauge D'Addario's.
I also recommend DR Rare mediums. They are actually light gauge size.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Default Some options for you

Any mahogany dreadnought, whether solid or laminate, will sound brighter than rosewood. As well, your guitar is brand new, so the top hasn't opened up yet. This combination of factors means that your guitar will be bright and fairly thin-sounding regardless of strings. You just need to play it a lot and give the soundboard a good shake.

Here are some strings for you to try. They won't work miracles, but they might help taking the edge off the brightness.

GHS Vintage Bronze. The wrap-wire formulation is 85/15, and these strings are about as mellow as they come. They are neither brass nor phosphor bronze, but somewhere in between.

DR Rares - Very good, but you need to be mindful of the labeling. "Medium" DRs are really lights, so you might want to get Medium-Heavy (13-56). These are warm strings, not very loud, but are made by a fine manufacturer.

I am not a fan of Sfarzo strings, but they were quite mellow also - the phosphor bronze set. Like most strings, they were bright the first few days, but then settled down into a fairly mellow tone.

I don't recommend 80/20 at all - these strings will be too bright for your instrument, regardless of gauge. And tread carefully with phosphor bronze. They can be very bright, especially the D'Addario's. I would not recommend *any* D'Addario string set, nor Martin, nor Elixirs. These are all bright strings.

The top two choices above (GHS and DR) are probably the best string sets for your guitar, but of course others will weigh in with their ideas also.

Last edited by RussMason; 04-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM

The bad thing about the Martin sp 80/20 you have is there really tinny at first, then when it wears off there dead. Well at least that's my experience

Try some medium nano web Elixers in 80/20. Pretty tinny at first but when they break in they don't just go from tinny to dead. They smooth out pretty good and hold it for at least a month.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Default Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchPicker View Post
The bad thing about the Martin sp 80/20 you have is there really tinny at first, then when it wears off there dead. Well at least that's my experience

Try some medium nano web Elixers in 80/20. Pretty tinny at first but when they break in they don't just go from tinny to dead. They smooth out pretty good and hold it for at least a month.
From "tinny to dead" is not a good idea. You want something with tone. Forget 80/20 completely. Go with 85/15 GHS (Vintage Bronze) or DR Rares.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion