The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Default First build finishing questions

So when finishing my first walnut/spruce build can I pore fill the binding? The binding is Indian rosewood and contrast very well. I guess all finishing tips for the entire guitar would be welcomed!! I'll post pictures tomorrow!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyPenland View Post
So when finishing my first walnut/spruce build can I pore fill the binding?
Yes, if a filled grain is the look/feel you want.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 AM

Yes it can be pore filled. What method of filling and finish will you be using as some will look better than others in the end.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
Yes it can be pore filled. What method of filling and finish will you be using as some will look better than others in the end.
As far as that....Still researching and open to options and opinions. I was going to use a grain filler (walnut color) then use Behlen Instrument finish. If there are other better options....I will consider them!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyPenland View Post
As far as that....Still researching and open to options and opinions. I was going to use a grain filler (walnut color) then use Behlen Instrument finish. If there are other better options....I will consider them!
Your choice of grain filler should be fine and is probably one of the easier (easiest?) options available. Some people fill will epoxy or CA glue, and then again pumice and shellac can be used for a perfect color match, but these methods can be much more challenging.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 AM

I think I would go with a black paste fill for that combo of wood, the walnut may look a bit light in the pores of the rosewood. You will need to put down a sealer prior to the pore fill and then another coat of sealer over it. Some of the other methods that Ned mentioned like a shellac/pumice fill can look really messy when trying to fill different species of wood side by side.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM

"....and contrast very well"

Your nice contrast may be reduced with just about any dark filler. As noted above, seal first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair