The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Gone,gone GONE>>>>>>>
Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumena View Post
...Epiphone Zephyr Regent. Basically an ES175 - these are all pretty good and have the Gibson neck shape. They are a bit heavy at 6 lbs. but that is laminate for you...
'Taint necessarily so - my comparably-sized Godin CW II weighs in at just a tick over five pounds, less than many all-solid jumbo flattops...
Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 AM

If I were in the market for an electric archtop, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Epiphone ES-175 Premium. It is a very nice guitar and comes with Gibson '57 Classic pickups and wiring. In fact I am not in the market and I am still considering one. These are seriously stellar guitars.

Last edited by The Old Gaffer; 02-14-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Thumbs up

Hey all,
I do have my eye on a guitar that our friend Lumena direct me toward.I have not finished the transaction however,if I do purchase it I will be a happy camper.
Stay tuned(not saying 'cause I don't want to jinx it).
Regards,
Jan
Old 02-18-2015, 10:14 PM

Hey all,
I will be posting a NGD next week but in the meantime I will say I purchased a 1990's Epiphone Emperor from Gruhn's in Nashville. The guitar was made at the Peerless factory in Korea. Haven't bought a guitar in a few years and my first archtop.Glad I didn't sell my Epi amp! I'll post later.Very excited.Thanks for all the suggestions and the lead-Lumena!
Regards,
Jan

Last edited by sausgirl; 03-01-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: wrong guitar identification.;)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM

super... can't wait to see it.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausgirl View Post
Hey all,
I will be posting a NGD next week but in the meantime I will say I purchased a 1990's Epiphone Emperor Regent from Gruhn's in Nashville. The guitar was made at the Peerless factory in Korea. Haven't bought a guitar in a few years and my first archtop.Glad I didn't sell my Epi amp! I'll post later.Very excited.Thanks for all the suggestions and the lead-Lumena!
Regards,
Jan

Congrats! I too have an Emperor Regent, also made in the Peerless factory. I think you'll be very happy. I believe the 90's models were very well built. I too got mine used as it is 10 yrs old. It's my first good electric archtop. I love the feel and the sound. The neck on mine is fantastic. For what I paid I think it's an excellent guitar. I play it not only plugged in but also acoustically quite a lot just sitting around at home practicing. It's a guitar that wants to be played. I am of the opinion that if you're going to buy an Epiphone guitar you might as well buy one of their jazz boxes. That's what they were originally known for in the first place. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM

How about a Tal Farlow used??
Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM

Kayakman.....dude,I got an Epiphone Emperor!

Hey all,
I did my "decoding"(of the epiphone number system) and it was made in Korea at the Peerless factory in March of 1996. Changed out the strings yesterday and I need to adjust the bridge because the low E buzzes.I realized in my long guitar owning history,I have never owned an archtop.Fortunately I have owned several mandolins and fiddles/violas so I understand how a bridge (floating) works. Any suggestions on how to get the buzz out will be appreciated!
Regards,
Jan
Old 03-01-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausgirl View Post
Kayakman.....dude,I got an Epiphone Emperor!

Hey all,
I did my "decoding"(of the epiphone number system) and it was made in Korea at the Peerless factory in March of 1996. Changed out the strings yesterday and I need to adjust the bridge because the low E buzzes.I realized in my long guitar owning history,I have never owned an archtop.Fortunately I have owned several mandolins and fiddles/violas so I understand how a bridge (floating) works. Any suggestions on how to get the buzz out will be appreciated!
Regards,
Jan
Congrats! Where about on the fretboard is it buzzing? Sometimes a little truss rod adjustment will fix that but generally just raising the bridge slightly will help as well. Good luck!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops